Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
The 2012/13 Ski Season Thread

ski MRG

His optimism is higher than normal.

My personal opinion is that Skiing is a sport and not weather. Others have differing opinions. If the discussion can remain weather related, I'm game. Last years thread degraded at times when it came to the industry discussion and economic impacts. As I said, I will leave it up until that time we decide what we feel is the best.

OT is a sewer full of arseholes who rarely post on the weather side. We had zero problems last year. Of course winter sports are weather related . Many others agree with me. The formation of subforums despite its obvious separation and degradation of the board dynamic has allowed our group to discuss our common interest. Many out of subforum posters visited and asked pertinent questions regarding future forecasts and current conditions. Many of our best posters like J Spin never visit the sewer that OT is. I myself have resolved to stay away from there. My main interest is weather and weather related sports. I have seen the waters and it's full of sharks just waiting to make fun of lifestyle, posting style, grammatical errors, political beliefs, economic status. Please do not put this in OT.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yeay to ski thread back in here.

if the main topic of skiing was sport related we would be talking about competition and form and points and this would be the focus of a sports related ski thread. Here we talk about the weather alot more than anything sports related to skiing. we talk accumulations , upslope. trail conditions (most always wx related) ...so in a bubble ski =sport ...in here ski thread = ski weather skiing trail condtions ..different wx at different ski resorts and form and competition is a definite second. anywho ....i just keep searching NNE craigslist for decents spots this fall winter.

big big winter incoming...big big winter

yeay to ski thread back in here.

if the main topic of skiing was sport related we would be talking about competition and form and points and this would be the focus of a sports related ski thread. Here we talk about the weather alot more than anything sports related to skiing. we talk accumulations , upslope. trail conditions (most always wx related) ...so anywho ....i just keep searching NNE craigslist for decents spots this fall winter.

big big winter incoming...big big winter

Looking forward to skiing with you dude. We could even pick a mole hill day with Dave.

Looking forward to skiing with you dude. We could even pick a mole hill day with Dave.

let's do it brother

i'm also looking forward to taking advantage of a BSSC (boston ski and sports club) it's a great resource for those in boston area who want to get to the snow to get a CHEAP deal. round trip bus and lift tix's for like 89$ so that's gas and lift ticket...yes still pricey but less than if you had your own car and went for a day. they do like 12-15 trips a year if i remember correctly and they go to like sunday river, killington, loon, stratton, wildcat and then rotate ( i may have left out a couple resorts)

hopefully we can blast that GOA vortext to hell.

it still astounds me that the N. greens got over 250 inches of snow last year.

I would LOVE to see a map of 2011-2012 ski resort totals for the north east. N VT sticks out BIG TIME last year. big time

His optimism is higher than normal.

My personal opinion is that Skiing is a sport and not weather. Others have differing opinions. If the discussion can remain weather related, I'm game. Last years thread degraded at times when it came to the industry discussion and economic impacts. As I said, I will leave it up until that time we decide what we feel is the best.

with all due respect, the "degeneration" of last seasons thread was completely weather related. It started with posts about how bad the winter was and then, of course, the debate went back and forth about what is bad, how bad and into and out of different issues. IMHO it didnt veer nearly as much as the many other banter threads.

while you are correct that technically, skiing is a sport, it is highly weather dependent. furthermore, given the hyper local differences in snowfall amounts, it is essential to have this forum available in the NE forum.

Please dont move the thread.

Way too much whining over nothing. There are some good forums like Alpinezone and Snowjournal that focus on NE skiing if the admins here prefer not to discuss skiing.

I think the moderators would do well here to stop deliberating and waffling so much in public, decide what they collectively care about, and take decisive action. Currently it seems like almost everyone is a good guy, but there's not really any organization or structure, so they're working in different directions and worrying about their own board persona's. Like with MRG.. Kick him out or allow him back and stop hassling him. Instead somehow he's partial member, and has multiple moderators actively hassling him. When drama ensues, they blame others.

Way too much whining over nothing. There are some good forums like Alpinezone and Snowjournal that focus on NE skiing if the admins here prefer not to discuss skiing.

I think the moderators would do well here to stop deliberating and waffling so much in public, decide what they collectively care about, and take decisive action. Currently it seems like almost everyone is a good guy, but there's not really any organization or structure, so they're working in different directions and worrying about their own board persona's. Like with MRG.. Kick him out or allow him back and stop hassling him. Instead somehow he's partial member, and has multiple moderators actively hassling him. When drama ensues, they blame others.

Thanks Bobbutts. I mean, so long as they don't actually kick me out. If they do I guess I'll just blame you.lol

I restored the posts from the original thread. I'm going to let this thread continue until we figure out what we want to do as a staff in the future and we will let you all know what come out of those discussion. I'm sorry if I offended anyone in the original thread. That was me just having fun trolling my own forum. It was my decision and mine alone. Aviation/Iso/H20/Mapgirl just jumped in on it. Don't take anything out on them. They are all good people in person and were just having fun as well.

As far as winter goes, Wes is actually 50/50 for it for the Mid-Atl. which is higher than his typical 25-30%.(Sorry Ginx) Many factors to determine.

Glad you made this decision Bob. This is a NE specific tread that is heavily weather oriented. The outcry from so many speaks to how beloved the thread is (not to mention 80,000 views). This is the rightful place for this thread. As for not taking it out on AviationDave/Iso/h2o and MG, I'm afraid the oil has already been boiled and the dipping will commence soon. There is simply nothing we can do.Sorry.

all for skiing at Stowe although I might prefer taking a shot at an upslope powder day than fixing a date far in advance.

Im starting to get the itch. ordered the wife a new pair of mid fats last night. never thought I'd see the day where she wanted to ski on 90 under foot.

Yeah I agree about going for an upslope pow day... I think it would be cool to get together with a bunch of weather enthusiasts during a meso-scale event like a 18" champagne upslope dump.

Its always fun to be riding the Gondola or something and looking over radar on the phone and watching the next vort max pushing in and causing the upslope to blow up again. Plus, for all the talk we do about the upslope from Sugarbush to Jay Peak, it'd be fun to get some of the folks here to see it in action.

Daily ski pic from last season... and like Ginx, I love talking skiing and snow all year round so good call on starting up the thread.  This will be 20 pages long before a ski hits the snow ;)

Same here, I enjoy anything ski related 12 month a year. I totally agree that any weather enthusiast would enjoy a day on the mountains during a weather event, before every big storm/nor'easter I spend hours looking at every model run trying to figure out exactly how much snow and wind I will get, while any day on the mountain can bring some of the most amazing snow squalls and wind gusts you will ever witness. I was a Killington a couple of years ago and the winds were so strong people were straight-lining double black diamond runs and they were barely moving at times, it was the most amazing thing I have ever felt (I hope my wife won't read this)

Yeah I agree about going for an upslope pow day... I think it would be cool to get together with a bunch of weather enthusiasts during a meso-scale event like a 18" champagne upslope dump.

Its always fun to be riding the Gondola or something and looking over radar on the phone and watching the next vort max pushing in and causing the upslope to blow up again. Plus, for all the talk we do about the upslope from Sugarbush to Jay Peak, it'd be fun to get some of the folks here to see it in action.

While its unpredictable by its nature, you have a pretty good idea when theres a good chance 3-5 days in advance. And no one here could be peeved if it doesnt pan out.

Coming from ny, my biggest frustration is telling people around here about the epic uplsope outbursts. They think im crazy when they hear mt. Snow got 2" and i tell them sugarbush got 2 feet. Then i have to show them the video.

Fwiw- in 08 i had a friend who was killing me for driving all the way north. Hes from ohio, was ski patrol at aspen but had never been north of mt snow in the east. skiing un the east is like ice skating blah blah blah. I got him to come up with his wife at the end of february, and we got about 6 feet in the 4 days he was up at the bush. Sweet vindication.

Im getting too excited for july. Gotta keep things under control until at least labor day.

While its unpredictable by its nature, you have a pretty good idea when theres a good chance 3-5 days in advance. And no one here could be peeved if it doesnt pan out.

Coming from ny, my biggest frustration is telling people around here about the epic uplsope outbursts. They think im crazy when they hear mt. Snow got 2" and i tell them sugarbush got 2 feet. Then i have to show them the video.

Fwiw- in 08 i had a friend who was killing me for driving all the way north. Hes from ohio, was ski patrol at aspen but had never been north of mt snow in the east. skiing un the east is like ice skating blah blah blah. I got him to come up with his wife at the end of february, and we got about 6 feet in the 4 days he was up at the bush. Sweet vindication.

Im getting too excited for july. Gotta keep things under control until at least labor day.

Exactly...that's why I'm so hooked on skiing up here, because it snows, a lot. I'm from Albany and grew up a weekend warrior with my family at Mt Snow, Bromley, Okemo...we never made it north of Killington because it was a long haul for a day or two.

I used to think SVT got a lot of snow but then I discovered this area...and let me tell you there's a noticeable difference in 300" vs. 160" haha.

We ski a lot of powder up here. And I always like JSpin's storm total listing from north to south, and he usually prefaces it with "and again the southern resorts are measuring in inches while Sugarbush northward measures in feet."

Any reason the old ski thread is left in OT, does it serve any purpose other than to let cowards talk smack about Pete when he is not here to defend himself?

Agree should have been deleted oh well, gives them something to do.

LOL I cleaned my ski bag out yesterday, found sun tan lotion I bought. Things are looking great bro for a typical NE winter, of course us closer to the coast are always on the edge but for the ski enthusiasts and folks who live in the interior NE I really really think this has big written all over it.

Agree should have been deleted oh well, gives them something to do.

LOL I cleaned my ski bag out yesterday, found sun tan lotion I bought. Things are looking great bro for a typical NE winter, of course us closer to the coast are always on the edge but for the ski enthusiasts and folks who live in the interior NE I really really think this has big written all over it.

With the gulf open for business you take your chances, I just want storms. Give me wind and coastal flooding, way above ssts combined with some energy dropping out of Canada should provide some fireworks, especially later this fall.

Not sold on storm track yet, but perhaps HV runners with RD's in time to save ski country especially west......follow up storms riding the BZ pushed further east 2-4 3-6 type coastal deals?

With the gulf open for business you take your chances, I just want storms. Give me wind and coastal flooding, way above ssts combined with some energy dropping out of Canada should provide some fireworks, especially later this fall.

Not sold on storm track yet, but perhaps HV runners with RD's in time to save ski country especially west......follow up storms riding the BZ pushed further east 2-4 3-6 type coastal deals?

While HV runners usually suck with rain or mix on the front end...they historically end up north of here with good backside upslope.

Here's a shot from last season on February 28th during our one big snow cycle of the season which lasted 12 days with near daily snowfall and some significant snows. Inside of those 12 days was a stretch of 61" in 9 days.

Here's the list of snowfall from that best period last season these are morning snowfall totals for the previous 24 hour period...

2/22...2"

2/23...7"

2/24...Dusting

2/25...12"

2/26...24"

2/27...0"

2/28...6"

2/29...2"

3/1...2"

3/2...8"

3/3...1"

3/4...4"

February 28th with a surprise 6" overnight on the snow board.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived