• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The 2012/13 Ski Season Thread

ski MRG

This year will be fantastic. Ankle will heal by mid September and ill be in ski shape again by November. I've bulked up to 195 or so but I plan to cut back down to 170 or so by ski season so Mrg doesn't give me **** again for tiring fast haha. If the snow is lacking here, well just follow it and that's what its all about.

Ski gtg this winter is a necessity!

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We should meet and drive up to see the freak this year. I will watch you two crazies hit the hard stuff while I cruise.

I would like to try to get a group together from this board up here at Stowe this winter. I'll talk to group sales and see what we could do for a ticket rate or something if there was enough interest in doing a ski G2G. However, I do realize that Stowe is quite a trip for the SNE crowd and would require overnight lodging, but in order to get a better ticket rate we'd need to have some serious interest.

Otherwise we can just aim for a day that has a discounted ticket like Groundhog Day, St Patties Day, Canned Food Day, etc.

Yo any one who jumps out of perfectly good plane well.... Maybe insane is better. I wish I had half the skill set of you and freak. Let's just let the other BS go.

Really am liking the trends, lots of panic setting in as Niño is not a friend for some. As we know very well Ski Areas do excellent unless its a super Niño with a raging positive NAO, highly highly unlikely.

We usually land first then just get out.lol It's easier to find the skis that way.

I would like to try to get a group together from this board up here at Stowe this winter. I'll talk to group sales and see what we could do for a ticket rate or something if there was enough interest in doing a ski G2G. However, I do realize that Stowe is quite a trip for the SNE crowd and would require overnight lodging, but in order to get a better ticket rate we'd need to have some serious interest.

Otherwise we can just aim for a day that has a discounted ticket like Groundhog Day, St Patties Day, Canned Food Day, etc.

I will be PM ing you soon about somethings. I am pretty certain my crew is coming up in Dec.

Pro lurker and I will keep you posted on good deals at the B'east. Such a great place for family skiing. Enough steeper stuff to keep the parents (me) happy and lot's of easier stuff for the kids to learn on. Didn't get too much glade skiing there last season but in a normal season lots of steep tree skiing opens up. Sure hoping the weather breaks the right way this go 'round.

Went there for the 1st time a few years ago. For a small place, it has, as you said, some decent terrain for everyone. So much better, less crowded, and less expensive than Wawa, and not much more of a drive.

Day trip for me. I agree, we really should get a ski gtg organized. So far, me , you, ChrisM,Ginxxx (probably TB as well), Pro lurker would probably be in as well. If any of the MA crew wanted to make the trek up I'd give them free lessons (still a PSIA member). Right this way boys.....

post-839-0-25368800-1342323382_thumb.jpg

Any new trails being cut at local resorts, expansion? Wish Skierin Vt was around, I really want to try Saddleback.

No new trails but lots of new snowmaking equipment. I'm actually pretty stoked on the snowmaking upgrade at Stowe this summer... its a game changer from a Mountain Operations standpoint and we'll have to see, but this should really improve terrain openings earlier in the season.

Stowe's laying 7 miles worth of new pipe (I'm not sure the average skier comprehends how much downtime is wasted due to old pipe breaks) and has a load of new fan guns which are key because they have their own compressors and don't take away from the total capacity of the system. Mtn Ops can then take that capacity elsewhere on the mountain and use it on the tower guns. Also, new tower guns on a slew of trails that used to need land frame guns will really save time in set-up. Setting up some of the trails like Nosedive (which is a 70-90 snow gun setup) used to take 2-3 days, but now with fixed tower guns, that can be turned on and making snow within an hour.

396029_10150903187777382_643297026_n.jpg

575822_10150903169882382_377267758_n.jpg

Went there for the 1st time a few years ago. For a small place, it has, as you said, some decent terrain for everyone. So much better, less crowded, and less expensive than Wawa, and not much more of a drive.

15 minute drive for me. Awesome place to teach kids precisely because it's not crowded. The best days are after a crippling snowstorm when you can lay down fresh tracks all day. Man, can't wait.

No new trails but lots of new snowmaking equipment. I'm actually pretty stoked on the snowmaking upgrade at Stowe this summer... its a game changer from a Mountain Operations standpoint and we'll have to see, but this should really improve terrain openings earlier in the season.

Stowe's laying 7 miles worth of new pipe (I'm not sure the average skier comprehends how much downtime is wasted due to old pipe breaks) and has a load of new fan guns which are key because they have their own compressors and don't take away from the total capacity of the system. Mtn Ops can then take that capacity elsewhere on the mountain and use it on the tower guns. Also, new tower guns on a slew of trails that used to need land frame guns will really save time in set-up. Setting up some of the trails like Nosedive (which is a 70-90 snow gun setup) used to take 2-3 days, but now with fixed tower guns, that can be turned on and making snow within an hour.

396029_10150903187777382_643297026_n.jpg

575822_10150903169882382_377267758_n.jpg

That's awesome, what really got me hooked on SR was their snowmaking in lean seasons. You will immediately notice the difference. In reality hopefully they get minimum use. LOL

Back in the 80's I worked as a ski instructor/snowmaker at Catamount, We had a special heat bar (a long iron pipe with nozzles on it) that was basically a flame thrower. We would constantly have to un-freeze lines with it. Tough work and , as you point out, lots of time lost.

15 minute drive for me. Awesome place to teach kids precisely because it's not crowded. The best days are after a crippling snowstorm when you can lay down fresh tracks all day. Man, can't wait.

About 2 hours for me, but well worth it. Day trips to southern/central VT or NH are doable, but can be oh so crowded and expensive.

I know everyone gets tired of hearing about the upslope, but I can't wait until we get into one of those good multi-day upslope cycles. It could be 8-10" a day for 5 days straight, or a big 36" in 36 hour type event like last February:

IMG_2384_edited-1.jpg

Meanwhile this was January 2011 after 4 feet in a week... and with upslope, it may not be great base building snow for the most part, but it is a heck of a lot of fun to ski because you ski through it, not on top of it.

IMG_2654_edited-1.jpg

Can't wait for the champagne powder (err Champlain Powder) that falls across the northern Greens.

The dream job in the winter... 5:00am, three hours before the lifts open, absolutely puking snow, 12" new overnight, wandering around with a headlamp, ruler, and camera taking snow measurements out at the stakes before wandering back to the office at MOC (Mountain Operations Center) to push out snow reports and marketing materials to various medias over the next couple hours.

IMG_3603_edited-1.jpg

The dream job in the winter... 5:00am, three hours before the lifts open, absolutely puking snow, 12" new overnight, wandering around with a headlamp, ruler, and camera taking snow measurements out at the stakes before wandering back to the office at MOC (Mountain Operations Center) to push out snow reports and marketing materials to various medias over the next couple hours.

IMG_3603_edited-1.jpg

Sweet , but you suck, ha. Best part of the coming winter on this board is reading you have reported to work.

IMG_3603_edited-1.jpg

Please film me hitting those rails for a marketing schtick lol

Sweet , but you suck, ha. Best part of the coming winter on this board is reading you have reported to work.

Haha I love November once we resume daily operations meetings to go over the weather, snowmaking, and early season prep work.

Honestly though my true dream job would be to be an avalanche forecaster out west...do essentially the same stuff I do now like be up at 4am pouring over weather data, snowfall and models to see what the day will bring from an operational standpoint, then spend time out in the field making observations. Except in this scenario your forecasts are literally life and death decisions.

Love talking skiing and winter sports and related weather conditions anytime of year with enthusiastic winter lovers. Historically speaking lean years very seldom occur back to back so statistics at least favor an average season. With the current trends on Niño being rather weak it bodes well for elevation.

I know everyone gets tired of hearing about the upslope, but I can't wait until we get into one of those good multi-day upslope cycles. It could be 8-10" a day for 5 days straight, or a big 36" in 36 hour type event like last February:

IMG_2384_edited-1.jpg

Meanwhile this was January 2011 after 4 feet in a week... and with upslope, it may not be great base building snow for the most part, but it is a heck of a lot of fun to ski because you ski through it, not on top of it.

IMG_2654_edited-1.jpg

Can't wait for the champagne powder (err Champlain Powder) that falls across the northern Greens.

all for skiing at Stowe although I might prefer taking a shot at an upslope powder day than fixing a date far in advance.

Im starting to get the itch. ordered the wife a new pair of mid fats last night. never thought I'd see the day where she wanted to ski on 90 under foot.

Getting my torn hip labrum fixed soon, doubt I can ski this winter but looking forward to getting back out there, its been a couple years since I tore the hip and havent been able to ski, really miss it. We usually make a trip up to Stowe every year, love it up there, your a lucky man PF.

Hope all turns out for the best, get well soon!

I restored the posts from the original thread. I'm going to let this thread continue until we figure out what we want to do as a staff in the future and we will let you all know what come out of those discussion. I'm sorry if I offended anyone in the original thread. That was me just having fun trolling my own forum. It was my decision and mine alone. Aviation/Iso/H20/Mapgirl just jumped in on it. Don't take anything out on them. They are all good people in person and were just having fun as well.

As far as winter goes, Wes is actually 50/50 for it for the Mid-Atl. which is higher than his typical 25-30%.(Sorry Ginx) Many factors to determine.

In SNH looking forward to a new High Speed Quad chair at Crotched Mountain (pics from facebook). They bought it from Ascutney VT, which has been closed for a few years. It should be ready to go for this season.

I don't know if it's a big deal but maybe something to talk about. Peak resorts dropped out of SkiNH association.

Also Jay Peak Resort bought Burke Mt., announced combined passes and snowmaking expansion at Burke.

Looking forward to the ski season coming up. PF--keep me in mind for an g2g at Stowe. Sounds like a great idea and a good time.

bobbutts, I heard recently that Jay bought Burke. Burke is our 'home' mountain, so t'll be interesting to see what the do. I always enjoy a good climb up the fire tower:

5593233504_6e8a4f7464_z.jpg

I restored the posts from the original thread. I'm going to let this thread continue until we figure out what we want to do as a staff in the future and we will let you all know what come out of those discussion. I'm sorry if I offended anyone in the original thread. That was me just having fun trolling my own forum. It was my decision and mine alone. Aviation/Iso/H20/Mapgirl just jumped in on it. Don't take anything out on them. They are all good people in person and were just having fun as well.

As far as winter goes, Wes is actually 50/50 for it for the Mid-Atl. which is higher than his typical 25-30%.(Sorry Ginx) Many factors to determine.

For it, meaning? Good job restoring, nice. As far as final determination, we are loaded with winter loving folks who participate heavily and some who are economically dependant on snow, would be a good idea to keep it here. Does no harm and actually leads to great discussion amongst like minded folks.

For it, meaning? Good job restoring, nice. As far as final determination, we are loaded with winter loving folks who participate heavily and some who are economically dependant on snow, would be a good idea to keep it here. Does no harm and actually leads to great discussion amongst like minded folks.

His optimism is higher than normal.

My personal opinion is that Skiing is a sport and not weather. Others have differing opinions. If the discussion can remain weather related, I'm game. Last years thread degraded at times when it came to the industry discussion and economic impacts. As I said, I will leave it up until that time we decide what we feel is the best.

Archived