joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Weekend Storm Disco (Dec 18th & 19th)

WeatherNC

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes. Looks like .1 or trace amounts to 2.5" or so...

Yeah, and for those wondering the trace amounts are sporadic across the state of NC and the far northern tip top of GA. My guess would be the model is basically saying "whatever moisture is left over may be snow after the low pulls away."

I would not worry about that to much, the 30hr panel is the one to be concerned with and shows the triangle <0C at 850, and this is the sim at 30hrs. This would be an isothermal event wile the with heavier returns, and the mid-levels warm once it shuts off.

nam_ref_030s.gif

The 36 hr sim shows that it is over for you.

You got the images before that one? Thanks

I would not worry about that to much, the 30hr panel is the one to be concerned with and shows the triangle <0C at 850, and this is the sim at 30hrs. This would be an isothermal event wile the with heavier returns, and the mid-levels warm once it shuts off.

The 36 hr sim shows that it is over for you.

yep, good point. It looks like it drops a little more than .25 in RDU with .50 totals a little further east.

The NAM's snowfall output lays down 1-2 inches although it sometimes under does precip amounts.

Meh. Looking at soundings, somebody under best the dynamics around "foothills" area to Charlotte would get close to 5 inches IMO. Soundings show an all snow profile with a 1/2 liquid falling during that time in the bullseye location. Especailly since the Ground temps are cold, and the sun angle is low this time of year.

This probably doesn't matter either way as I'm sure this event isn't going to unfold just like the 18z NAM shows..:arrowhead:

Also the track of this system could be a little incorrect. You never really know until you start seeing a now-cast type thing. The precip shields are usually underdone by the NAM and I wouldn't 100% write off something really nice for NC yet regardless of what the models say. The NAM is getting into it's best hours now.

And of course, CLT gets the 6hr local QPF Max, almost 0.5"

18znam850mbTSLPp06030.gif

36hrs has a 1007 mb low off Hatteras, but it is severely elongated and disorganized, almost down to Cuba. We need more consolidation, even another 3-4 mb drop off the OBX compared to what this run shows would go a long way in squeezing out more moisture, and cold.

And of course, CLT gets the 6hr local QPF Max, almost 0.5"

36hrs has a 1007 mb low off Hatteras, but it is severely elongated and disorganized, almost down to Cuba. We need more consolidation, even another 3-4 mb drop off the OBX compared to what this run shows would go a long way in squeezing out more moisture, and cold.

lolz... of course? I say screw eastern NC! devilsmiley.gif

lolz... of course? I say screw eastern NC! devilsmiley.gif

You beat me to it! As much as I would like to see everyone in NC cash in I have been living in a giant freakin' snow triangle of death for several years and think it's about time our luck changed and ended up in the sweet spot for once! Hell I'll take whatever falls at this point as long it is is snow/sleet

I may just drink myself so silly tonight I think what little rain falls tomorrow is actually snow and try to build a snowman out of rain puddles. :drunk:

You know guys, we can all just fix all of these suicidal thoughts by just moving to the mountains or something. We could even take it a step further and just go to Wisconsin. Then we'd wish it would stop snowing.

Shawn, I lived in Indianapolis, IN for a couple of years saw several 10" plus snows, had it snow 28 days in a row once, and experienced many many days below zero and never got tired of it!

If I could move to the mountains believe me I would!

Interesting, I know SV is pretty conservative usually with it's snow maps which is usually a good thing! Can't wait to see what Twister has to say with their map lol.

Best place to check out NAM sn maps is Earl Barker's site, as there are several different algorithms used to give the general flavor. The Kuchera method is the most accurate imo, but not the prettiest from a metaphysical accumulation standpoint.

http://wxcaster.com/conus_snowfall.htm

Archived