joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Weekend Storm Disco (Dec 18th & 19th)

WeatherNC

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shawn, I lived in Indianapolis, IN for a couple of years saw several 10" plus snows, had it snow 28 days in a row once, and experienced many many days below zero and never got tired of it!

If I could move to the mountains believe me I would!

ditto - lived in minnesota for about 8 years, and washington dc for 10. saw awesome snowstorms, ice etc. and never got tired of it (i will admit i did get tired of -10 with windchills even lower though. but not the snow)

I know its the 18z nam but with that slug of moisture over me I need a link to some soundings. Can someone help me out. Thanks.

where you located? the sounding for mby in ne ga was not all that impressive

Yes he was showing the GFS for the clipper. The Christmas storm he was useing the accu-model i think he said. I just looked at the GFS it don't show any moisture makeing it into NC for Tuesday best I could tell ?

I'm interested in getting a gulf low in here late year..has he gone out that far yet? I think there is a fair chance the gfs will morph some energy into one big gulf storm toward New Years. It wants to anyway...hope it holds on to it. T

Best place to check out NAM sn maps is Earl Barker's site, as there are several different algorithms used to give the general flavor. The Kuchera method is the most accurate imo, but not the prettiest from a metaphysical accumulation standpoint.

http://wxcaster.com/conus_snowfall.htm

His are probably gonna verify since all of them only have snow for RDU and surrounding areas.

I am always and i repeat ALWAYS on the line. This time not enough cold air then when it does drop below freezing the precip is gone. UGH. I hope all models are wrong and this thing explodes over me and everyone else. It's not looking good for me all call maps i have seen have it north of me just by like 50 miles. Snow Snow Baby!!!

Thanks

If the NAM is correct and we do get some of those 25-30dbz returns in the southern foothills and piedmont then that may be just enough to bring the surface down to near freezing. This reminds me of a storm in either 2006 or 2007 where the day before was in the 50's and rain was forecasted to change to snow the next evening. It took longer than the models thought to get the changeover down to the North Carolina/South Carolina border and then even once it did, even then it was not heavy enough to cool the surface layer. Places a little further north that had heavier snows cooled to 32-33 degrees and got accumulation. The one thing we can definitely say about the computer models and this storms is that they need Bi-Polar meds.arrowheadsmiley.png

If the NAM is correct and we do get some of those 25-30dbz returns in the southern foothills and piedmont then that may be just enough to bring the surface down to near freezing. This reminds me of a storm in either 2006 or 2007 where the day before was in the 50's and rain was forecasted to change to snow the next evening. It took longer than the models thought to get the changeover down to the North Carolina/South Carolina border and then even once it did, even then it was not heavy enough to cool the surface layer. Places a little further north that had heavier snows cooled to 32-33 degrees and got accumulation. The one thing we can definitely say about the computer models and this storms is that they need Bi-Polar meds.arrowheadsmiley.png

It's always different for everyone on this board. Some worry temps, some precip. Me this time it's precip as im good in the temp department.

Archived