joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Weekend Storm Disco (Dec 18th & 19th)

WeatherNC

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like any snow is going to be on the extreme northwest side of the moisture shield. I still don't like my chances here to CLT due to the warm boundary, light precip rates and time of day..but once east of CLT after dark toward Monroe to Fay and RDU I could see some large flakes mixing in or changing over briefly. Pretty much the only hope now is that the models are too weak and too far south with precip. Time will tell. It may come down to a nowcast tomorrow, but I don' think anyone gets anything more than an inch.

Looks like any snow is going to be on the extreme northwest side of the moisture shield. I still don't like my chances here to CLT due to the warm boundary, light precip rates and time of day..but once east of CLT after dark toward Monroe to Fay and RDU I could see some large flakes mixing in or changing over briefly. Pretty much the only hope now is that the models are too weak and too far south with precip. Time will tell. It may come down to a nowcast tomorrow, but I don' think anyone gets anything more than an inch.

Snowball fight?

These runs are a disaster, NAM has been almost consistent but clearly as was pointed out last night the models are having problems because of "so many moving parts". There is as good a chance of nothing as there is of 4 inches arrowheadsmiley.png. This is going to come right down to the wire and I have a feeling it's going to be nothing or a lot. If I were a weather man I would be saying FML right now looking at this thing.

I agree...My brother and friends keep calling asking what is it going to do. I just told my brother I don't have a clue at this point. We have the 12z euro yesterday showing 8" for us then the 0z euro comes out w/ a big fat 0". GFS has been all over the place. At this point I just don't have a clue.

Under an inch? For us that's a win Snowman.gif

I think until it starts to unfold... very few of us are going to have a clue, much less the models! But strange things have happened in the south in the winter so I'm not discounting anything yet.

Still have a stream of moisture over south Georgia across Macon and toward SC but it's nice and clear without a cloud in sight here. http://www.daculaweather.com/ridge_georgia_master.php

I agree...My brother and friends keep calling asking what is it going to do. I just told my brother I don't have a clue at this point. We have the 12z euro yesterday showing 8" for us then the 0z euro comes out w/ a big fat 0". GFS has been all over the place. At this point I just don't have a clue.

Yea I'm using some PTO today and I told them at work I would send out an email as to what I thought would happen. I'm going to have to send this graphic:

post-6180-12647781244271.jpg

These runs are a disaster, NAM has been almost consistent but clearly as was pointed out last night the models are having problems because of "so many moving parts". There is as good a chance of nothing as there is of 4 inches arrowheadsmiley.png. This is going to come right down to the wire and I have a feeling it's going to be nothing or a lot. If I were a weather man I would be saying FML right now looking at this thing.

I would hate to have that job right now for this storm.Yesterday when I saw a big fat ? on the forcast I busted out laughing!I don't think I have ever seen that before...lol

Yeah, looks like the models are all over the place with reagrds to Saturday. I saw Matthew East and Allan Huffman both said the Triangle should get some snow, though, so at least we have that going for us.

Under an inch? For us that's a win Snowman.gif

probably. these systems are sneaky, I've seen models blow their north shield of precip, still worried about the temps though, they're usually right at this hour, and we're on the edge literally. There's just too much against it, but then again, our best snows here have snuck up on us and weren't forecast, for the most part. This kind of reminds me of the November 2000 surprise snow setup a little bit. I doubt the precip looks this good tomorrow though.

post-38-0-59855200-1292597093.gif

Yea I'm using some PTO today and I told them at work I would send out an email as to what I thought would happen. I'm going to have to send this graphic:

post-6180-12647781244271.jpg

LOL that about sums it up Burger..... I for one am not even looking at the models anymore for tomorrow's "event." Figure looking at current conditions and where the s/w are moving around is better than assuming the models will all of a sudden have a light builb go off.

I am liking how the s/w coming across the Texas panhandle and Okl is looking right now.

probably. these systems are sneaky, I've seen models blow their north shield of precip, still worried about the temps though, they're usually right at this hour, and we're on the edge literally. There's just too much against it, but then again, our best snows here have snuck up on us and weren't forecast, for the most part. This kind of reminds me of the November 2000 surprise snow setup a little bit. I doubt the precip looks this good tomorrow though.

post-38-0-59855200-1292597093.gif

Watch the GFS come north now :arrowhead: I have noticed the models trending warmer. More WAA?

This system is turning out to be a complete time-waster; and I'm afraid most this winter will be too.

Yea, you're probably right but this hobby is like crack. We'll all be lining up for this same abuse when the next storm rolls around. For example, at 1pm most people are thinking about what a good lunch they had or what's for supper, not us! I'm thinking I've got to eat real fast so I'll be ready for the 12z euro run. It's what we do during winter.

Several feet of snow are on tap for the mountains of California over the next few days. Here's a discussion, and the map

AS FOR THE SIERRA...THEY WILL SEE INCREASED WINDS AS WELL WITH

RIDGES GUSTING OVER 100 MPH. PRECIP WILL CONTINUE NEAR AND A BIT

EAST OF THE CREST...BUT IT WILL NOT BE AS HEAVY. SNOW LEVELS WILL

ALSO FALL BACK TO 4-4500 FEET NORTH OF SUSANVILLE TO 5500 FEET

RENO-TAHOE AND 6500 FEET IN MONO-MINERAL BEHIND THE FRONT. THIS

WILL CHANGE MOST PRECIP BACK TO SNOW IN THE SIERRA BUT

ACCUMULATIONS WILL BE LIGHTER AS WE WILL BE BETWEEN SIGNIFICANT

WAVES. WALLMANN

EXPECT PRECIP TO INCREASE AGAIN SUNDAY AS ANOTHER QUICK MOVING

SHORTWAVE ROUNDS THE BASE OF THE PARENT UPPER LOW OFF THE PAC NW

COAST. UPSLOPE FLOW WILL INITIALLY BE THE MAIN FORCING WHICH WILL

LIMIT MOST OF THE PRECIP TO THE SIERRA DURING THE MORNING HOURS.

PRECIP WILL THEN INCREASE IN INTENSITY AND SPREAD INTO WESTERN

NEVADA SUNDAY AFTERNOON AND EVENING AS THE SHORT WAVE MOVES INLAND

AND A 160 KT UPPER JET MAX MOVE OVERHEAD. MODELS ARE ADVERTISING AN

ADDITIONAL 1 TO 2 INCHES (LIQUID EQUIVALENT) OVER THE SIERRA ON

SUNDAY...LOCALLY UP TO 3 INCHES ALONG THE CREST...AND 0.25 TO 0.50

INCH ALONG THE 395 CORRIDOR AND AREAS NORTH OF A SUSANVILLE/GERLACH

LINE. SNOW LEVELS COULD BRIEFLY INCREASE TO AROUND 5500 FEET NORTH

OF SUSANVILLE TO 6500 FEET RENO-TAHOE TO 7500 FEET MONO-MINERAL

EARLY SUNDAY MORNING BEFORE CRASHING DOWN TO MANY VALLEY FLOORS BY

SUNDAY AFTERNOON AND EVENING. WINTER STORM WARNINGS WILL PROBABLY

NEED TO BE EXTENDED INTO SUNDAY NIGHT OR EARLY MONDAY MORNING. WILL

PROBABLY NEED TO ADD ZONES 5/70 TO THAT WARNING AS WELL AS HEAVY

SNOW IS LOOKING MORE LIKELY FOR AREAS NORTH OF SUSANVILLE/GERLACH.

WITH SNOW LEVEL DROPPING TO VALLEY FLOORS...COULD POTENTIALLY SEE

ENOUGH ACCUMULATIONS SUNDAY EVENING/NIGHT TO WARRANT WINTER WEATHER

ADVISORIES FOR RENO-CC AS WELL. GIVEN THE QPF AMOUNTS MENTIONED

EARLIER...AN ADDITIONAL 1-2 FEET OF SNOWFALL IS POSSIBLE IN THE

SIERRA ABOVE LAKE LEVEL ON SUNDAY WITH LOCALLY HIGHER AMOUNTS ALONG

THE CREST AND IN MONO COUNTY. AMOUNTS AT LAKE LEVEL ARE A BIT MORE

UNCERTAIN AT THIS TIME AS IT APPEARS SNOW LEVELS WILL BE JUST ABOVE

LAKE LEVEL FOR PART OF THE DAY. SCV

SATURDAY NIGHT

BREEZY. SNOW AND RAIN. LOWS 23 TO 28. SOUTHWEST

WINDS 20 TO 30 MPH. GUSTS UP TO 60 MPH DECREASING TO 45 MPH AFTER

MIDNIGHT. RIDGE GUSTS UP TO 110 MPH DECREASING TO 95 MPH AFTER

MIDNIGHT. :arrowhead:

I'd love to see snow like this, where its just barely cold enough, and to get up to 2 feet, with winds over 100 mph.

post-38-0-86399200-1292598730.gif

Well, this weekend is done -- time to move right past the clipper (how many times out of a 100 do clippers bring us snow? Answer: 1/2) to Christmas.

It's heartening to see both the 6z GFS and Euro having a low moving through around Christmas. Right now they are both too warm for snow, but certainly within the margin of error (esp. given this wacky blocking pattern).

Got to have a white Christmas one of these days, right?

I have a feeling this one is going to be painful to watch here in the Coastal Plain... Would much rather be along 95, but even there 850's still struggle to get close to 0C, and QPF decreases the further inland you go, so this is shaping up to be a nice little SN-storm 14k ft up, but at the surface, plain jane rain. For those of us from around Raleigh to Fayetteville, and points east, we want this to trend a little stronger, in order to get more cold air in. But that seems like a long shot as everything I am seeing this am, points to a predominately rn event. :thumbsdown:

6z GFS for PGV

post-382-0-53663400-1292599878.png

and for RDU

post-382-0-11632000-1292599893.png

:(

The 12z Nam did seems to take a step in the direction of the wrf to me. I know its not much but the New Nam did seem to try to wrap some moisture towards the Western Carolinas but not as much as the wrf model did. Who knows what will happen but at this point a good solid inch would be nice. :arrowhead:

GFS about like the nam. For CLT to my area, our window of opportunity is around 2 pm to 8 pm...bu the temps probably won't support snow to the surface for several reasons. Bad time of day, barely cold enough, unless rates really increase, so far it looks like they won't since we're on the nw shield. I still think points east and northeast of CLT have the best shot at seeing some flakes in the air after 5 pm, better chance after dark, but wouldn't last long.

Next.

and we may get zero precip at all. I can't even get a good rain event.:angry:

I have a feeling this one is going to be painful to watch here in the Coastal Plain... Would much rather be along 95, but even there 850's still struggle to get close to 0C, and QPF decreases the further inland you go, so this is shaping up to be a nice little SN-storm 14k ft up, but at the surface, plain jane rain. For those of us from around Raleigh to Fayetteville, and points east, we want this to trend a little stronger, in order to get more cold air in. But that seems like a long shot as everything I am seeing this am, points to a predominately rn event. :thumbsdown:

:(

The 12z gfs looks warm also. We'll have to see if its right.

Archived