Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Weekend Storm Disco (Dec 18th & 19th)

WeatherNC

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe the Euro has better news.

American models keep things strung out for some reason. This run I bet misses the big cities, to late with the phase. If Euro sounds the same alarm again at 0z like 12 z, then it;s consecutive runs inside 5 days. I haven't seen that rule of thumb I use beat yet. Hopefully we'll get a chance to test it this weekend.

Appears the GFS MIGHT be suffering from convective feedback but not really sure.

I can see where you are going with that, off the coast of FL at 54 hrs, and out into the Atlantic through 66 hrs, on the south side of the primary. The late phase though would fit a similar depiction...

in reference to the NAM

There is a pretty clear convective feedback issue here. With the consolidated vort max over the TN Valley and the vorticity generation east of HSE, latent heat release is contaminating. If you get rid of that, this is a fantastic run for everyone. I wouldn't worry about the sfc on the T+72 NAM.

in reference to the GFS

Defying the laws of physics once again by showing two lows. Note the streamlines around the low that is further NW. This SHOULD be the real low.

This is, again, more convective feedback. Focus on the strength and position of the vort max, not the surface reflection.

the latent heat release along the baroclinic zone just off the EC gives models fits, that parameterization issue needs to be fixed

If the ECMWF is anything like 12Z, I could care less what everything else shows, to be honest.

:popcorn:

in some ways this storm reminds me of the dec 2000 bust. we're hoping a s/w from the northern stream comes in and captures a weaker southern stream wave out ahead of it. at least, from past storms, the best situation for western nc is for the storm to be mostly phased by the time it reaches the tennessee valley. most of the storms last year were pretty much that way.

in some ways this storm reminds me of the dec 2000 bust. we're hoping a s/w from the northern stream comes in and captures a weaker southern stream wave out ahead of it. at least, from past storms, the best situation for western nc is for the storm to be mostly phased by the time it reaches the tennessee valley. most of the storms last year were pretty much that way.

u westerners get ur share of snow let is easterners have some. lol

As much as I'd like to see something come together outside of the mountains to lay down snow cover, the players just don't seem to be present. Also, serious temperature issues.

They aren't that serious. It's not super cold to be sure, but no model really shows us wildly above freezing from the Triangle west-ward.

Surface temps at 42 and 48 dont look encouraging. At 42 the majority of NC is over 40, and at 48 all of NC is above freezing with exception of the higher mountains. I know I know, we cant worry about temps right now, lets just get this storm back on track . . . but its always something, and thats why we love the south.

That's because it's daytime. GFS cools us off just fine and the GFS is usually warmer with the sfc temps than it ought to be in these kinds of situations.

That's because it's daytime. GFS cools us off just fine and the GFS is usually warmer with the sfc temps than it ought to be in these kinds of situations.

Who is this WidreMann? I'm not used to you being so positive...J/K. In all seriousness I agree. If it pans out like the models are showing we will be fortunate to have the precip coming in at the perfect time.

I'm not an expert,but everyone else seems to be saying GFS looks great for RDU .

Well, I think it's spitting out .4", and it looks like all snow, so if that verified then that would be great, so yes your right for RDU, that is great. But euro showed 1" :-).

For everyone west of RDU it doesn't look promising.

OK, NAM does not matter at this range

post-382-0-98238100-1292562516.gif

post-382-0-66272500-1292562556.png

OTS tracks are good for central and eastern NC, climo speaking

Good point. Only concern is QPF on NAM and GGEM were light for RDU, if GFS shifted 20 miles east it would be light too. Not sure of QPF for UKIE. I think 95 in NC is a good as spot you can be in.

About time to see what the euro thinks. this should give us a good idea on what to expect. anyone gonna give us the play by play??guitar.gif

Not the SE crew tonight, as I do not have access to the panels and those with are absent, but will update this post as the run progresses...

through hr 24 the s/w is weaker and its not as amplified

At 30 it is a little weaker, but not sure if is really material enough to impact things..

through hr 36 a good bit less amplified

from the nyc and philli thread regarding the 0z EC

1284499185004.gif

This run is comically flat at T+48

:axe:

hr 60 has a sub 1008 low 150 miles east of the outer banks

hr 66 has 2 1004 seperate areas of low pressure 100 miles from each other about 200-250 miles east of hse

par for the course I guess, far cry from the 12z, and 850 temps will suffer accordingly :thumbsdown:

low east of nc at 60 compared to off nc/sc border at 12, weaker, blaher

1004 low well east at 72 compared to what 988 right off the delmarva coast earlier

little or no precip north of nc/va border

Good night!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsTAUs_h_uY

00zeurotropical500mbSLP072.gif

:facepalm:

Archived