July 1-8, 2012 Heat & Storms

Herb@MAWS

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From chicago:

...A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FOR WESTERN

COOK...DUPAGE...EASTERN DE KALB...NORTHWESTERN WILL...NORTHEASTERN LA

SALLE...KENDALL AND KANE COUNTIES UNTIL 1230 PM CDT...

AT 1211 PM CDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A

LINE OF SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS CAPABLE OF PRODUCING QUARTER SIZE

HAIL...AND DESTRUCTIVE HURRICANE FORCE WINDS IN EXCESS OF 80 MPH.

THESE STORMS WERE LOCATED ALONG A LINE EXTENDING FROM STREAMWOOD TO

CAROL STREAM TO WHEATON TO NAPERVILLE...MOVING EAST AT 40 MPH.

SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS WILL BE NEAR...

ROLLING MEADOWS...PALATINE...LOCKPORT AND YORK CENTER AROUND 1220

PM CDT.

LEMONT...WOODRIDGE...WESTMONT AND OAK BROOK AROUND 1225 PM CDT.

HINSDALE AND DARIEN AROUND 1230 PM CDT.

Holy **** :o

AT 1222 PM CDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A

HAIL...AND EXTREME DAMAGING WINDS IN EXCESS OF 100 MPH. THESE

STORMS WERE LOCATED ALONG A LINE EXTENDING FROM ELK GROVE VILLAGE

TO ELMHURST TO DOWNERS GROVE TO NAPERVILLE...AND MOVING EAST AT 45

MPH. THE MOST INTENSE WINDS WERE MOVING EAST ACROSS CENTRAL

DUPAGE COUNTY.

Holy **** :o

AT 1222 PM CDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A

HAIL...AND EXTREME DAMAGING WINDS IN EXCESS OF 100 MPH. THESE

STORMS WERE LOCATED ALONG A LINE EXTENDING FROM ELK GROVE VILLAGE

TO ELMHURST TO DOWNERS GROVE TO NAPERVILLE...AND MOVING EAST AT 45

MPH. THE MOST INTENSE WINDS WERE MOVING EAST ACROSS CENTRAL

DUPAGE COUNTY.

Why would you clip out the important fact that this is for the Chicago area?

Hope we get spared down here today. We don't need another event that ruins the progress of power here. How are the severe parameters looking for this area? I hate to keep asking, but I still don't have access to anything.

Yea, NW wind is the one negative.

Sort of surprised there's no heat advisory for today. 100-105 HI so far and with half the region without power, would think they'd err on issuing one.

I was thinking the same thing earlier. LWX in particular is so strict when it comes to advisories and warnings because they want a good record when it comes to issuing warnings and getting them correct. They constantly say "we will barely reach criteria for today" but I think warning offices need to consider the facts and not just the numbers that "barely reach criteria."

Philly is on the other end of things. They issue warnings too often. lol

i agree the odds are growing this will be a pretty severe complex im not sure on that northern edge into us.

i dont love the hrrr handling of the system so i wouldnt take anything verbatim but it does at least clip us with some convection on the edge.

either way the environment ahead of the complex is very unstable and expected to continue to head into extremely unstable. WV in particular looks in potential trouble.

post-1615-0-40478400-1341167353_thumb.pn

Airmass downstream in IN/OH/PA/WV/VA looks primed. Wouldn't be surprised if this holds together. Several wind reports in excess of 70 - 80mph already coming in across the Chicago, IL / Gary, IN area.

CAPE:

post-1389-0-15939100-1341167449_thumb.pn

Mid Level lapse rate

post-1389-0-83249800-1341167469_thumb.pn

Lifted Index's....approaching -10 across portions of WV panhandle

post-1389-0-09166900-1341167513_thumb.pn

CAPE forecasts push extreme instability across central WV as the complex moves that direction. I still want to lean south around here but if that nose translates east the storms may want to just keep running into it. In that case it could certainly run across northern VA. So far it's staying pretty far north. We'll see.. we aren't quite on Friday territory with ingredients and it's a bit later I think?

Airmass downstream in IN/OH/PA/WV/VA looks primed. Wouldn't be surprised if this holds together. Several wind reports in excess of 70 - 80mph already coming in across the Chicago, IL / Gary, IN area.

CAPE:

post-1389-0-15939100-1341167449_thumb.pn

Mid Level lapse rate

post-1389-0-83249800-1341167469_thumb.pn

Lifted Index's....approaching -10 across portions of WV panhandle

post-1389-0-09166900-1341167513_thumb.pn

Right nor the SRN storms are a little toom far east for an MCS. Ifthe tail can backfill a bit then we'll have another MCS.

CAPE forecasts push extreme instability across central WV as the complex moves that direction. I still want to lean south around here but if that nose translates east the storms may want to just keep running into it. In that case it could certainly run across northern VA. So far it's staying pretty far north. We'll see.. we aren't quite on Friday territory with ingredients and it's a bit later I think?

For the sake of the people without power - I hope that your forecast is as sound as it was on Friday.

Perhaps the key to all of this is the extent of the cold front, which is not making much southward progress in New England and the downstream pattern is becoming zonal.

Perhaps the key to all of this is the extent of the cold front, which is not making much southward progress in New England and the downstream pattern is becoming zonal.

It's still a bit early to figure anything out concretely. I'm not even confident it will continue to grow upstream -- I have a hard time seeing why not though.

mid-lvl winds seem to want to bring it ese or se.. not much of that just yet. however, right now once you hit the apps winds turn more westerly which makes it hard to rule out this (my local) area for now.

It's still a bit early to figure anything out concretely. I'm not even confident it will continue to grow upstream -- I have a hard time seeing why not though.

mid-lvl winds seem to want to bring it ese or se.. not much of that just yet. however, right now once you hit the apps winds turn more westerly which makes it hard to rule out this (my local) area for now.

It would probably scrape the area at the very least based on the gradient over Southern VA.

500mb.gif?1341169170068

Right nor the SRN storms are a little toom far east for an MCS. Ifthe tail can backfill a bit then we'll have another MCS.

Just looked at the forecast on the mesoanalysis page - develops 7000 CAPE in WV :o

It will be interesting to see what happens once that cluster over IN gets in western WV. Some pretty decent instability and up slope along the Allegheny Plateau / Appalachian Mts. could enhance and sustain updrafts. We'll see.

For your amusement...Derecho Composite. Not saying we see anything like Friday, but perhaps a low end MCS.

post-1389-0-78943400-1341169318_thumb.pn

For the sake of the people without power - I hope that your forecast is as sound as it was on Friday.

Likewise, we've got a lot of trees hanging on power lines and partially broken large limbs around here. Another derecho would make the power companies restoration work all for naught.

These needs to be watched very carefully IMO ... tons of MUCAPE and DCAPE to work with for sustaining updrafts along a cold pool should a MCS develop.

Potentially noteworthy to point out, out though is that shear seems a bit lower (at least according to the mesoanalysis page). Didn't look at the 12z sounding.

Archived