12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
July 1-8, 2012 Heat & Storms

Herb@MAWS

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmmmm. I must say this is a first for me. Lightening and thunder without anything on radar to show for it.

not to go back to the derecho but this is pretty typical to what you get behind those types of mcs/big line events. tho often there is a stratiform rain as well. this is a bit extra far removed from the main convection.

here's a shot of that last strike for dc folks:

post-1615-0-20513200-1341784785_thumb.jp

Must have been what I heard. Very loud and shook the house.

they tend to hit towers etc and are so random in frequency i wouldnt worry about them when out but i think they're the ones that kill a lot of people.

they tend to hit towers etc and are so random in frequency i wouldnt worry about them when out but i think they're the ones that kill a lot of people.

This post contradicts itself :P

I know what you are saying though. From the sounds of that thing I would not have wanted to be anywhere near it.

Must have been the one we experienced about 20 minutes or so ago. Lightning illuminated the house in semi-daylight; that's not all that unusual given the plethora of transmission towers in the immediate vicinity. We get a lot of CG and storms are noisy around here. But this time, there was no concussive sound of thunder almost concurrent with the lightning flash. The thunder lapsed the lightning by several seconds and wasn't that loud. Unusual, given how brillant the lightning flash was. (And that's really been the only lightning I've seen up here this afternoon worthy of the name.) So it must have been the strike in Rock Creek you're talking about.

Must have been the one we experienced about 20 minutes or so ago. Lightning illuminated the house in semi-daylight; that's not all that unusual given the plethora of transmission towers in the immediate vicinity. We get a lot of CG and storms are noisy around here. But this time, there was no concussive sound of thunder almost concurrent with the lightning flash. The thunder lapsed the lightning by several seconds and wasn't that loud. Unusual, given how brillant the lightning flash was. (And that's really been the only lightning I've seen up here this afternoon worthy of the name.) So it must have been the strike in Rock Creek you're talking about.

You might have seen another one - it was longer than 20 minutes ago I think :)

You might have seen another one - it was longer than 20 minutes ago I think :)

The types of lightning fascinate me. I've looked around at what causes different typs of lightning and there is a science to it. Like the bolts that Ian and mark captured that looked like tubes, not the typical jagged, zig-zag type bolts we are used to. I heard other chasers talk about that too.

Anywho, I had what I believe was a + strike in front of my condo on a telephone pole last summer. It was after a squall line went through which is a classic environment for + strokes. Every minute or so you would here a deep rumble and a distant flash here and there. All of the sudden my place lit up like a flash bomb got thrown in, and it sounded like a cannon went off. Immediately, those white insulators started sparking all over the place.....so that was kind of cool to see I guess.

Today, we came up just shy of the DC 10-day average maximum of 99.5 set in 1930, as we checked in during June 28-July 7 at 99.3. However, with June 28th's maximum of 96 dropping out of the 10-day average tomorrow, we can tie the 1930 record with a maximum of 98 on Sunday, and will beat it with a maximum of 99. Even if we come up just shy again on the 10-day average maximum, we almost certainly will establish a new 11-day average maximum. During July 18-28, 1930, the average maximum was 98.7, and we'll beat that during June 28-July 8, 2012 with a maximum of only 94 on Sunday.

We broke both records with ease. The new DC 10-day average maximum, June 29-July 8, 2012 is 99.9, so we beat the 1930 record by 0.4 degrees per day; and the new DC 11-day average maximum, June 28-July 8, 2012 is 99.5, so we beat the 1930 record by 0.8 degrees per day. Champagne for all, even if it's a little warm in some parts of the region as the power is out again for thousands. I lost mine this afternoon for an hour and 42 minutes, but it's back now.

We broke both records with ease. The new DC 10-day average maximum, June 29-July 8, 2012 is 99.9, so we beat the 1930 record by 0.4 degrees per day; and the new DC 11-day average maximum, June 28-July 8, 2012 is 99.5, so we beat the 1930 record by 0.8 degrees per day. Champagne for all, even if it's a little warm in some parts of the region as the power is out again for thousands. I lost mine this afternoon for an hour and 42 minutes, but it's back now.

It doesn't really change anything and maybe I missed something but the 19-29 1930 avged 99 compared to the 18-28's 98.7

It doesn't really change anything and maybe I missed something but the 19-29 1930 avged 99 compared to the 18-28's 98.7

Nope, you're right -- I missed that. So, we broke the 1930 11-day average maximum record by only 0.5 degrees per day. I need to hire you as my fact checker. :)

Nope, you're right -- I missed that. So, we broke the 1930 11-day average maximum record by only 0.5 degrees per day. I need to hire you as my fact checker. :)

Ha I miss plenty. Remarkable stuff either way. Especially since last yr has the number 3 11 day streak it seems.

Ha I miss plenty. Remarkable stuff either way. Especially since last yr has the number 3 11 day streak it seems.

Yes, indeed, at 97.9 for the average daily DC maximum, July 22-August 1, 2011. Also, it's interesting to note that, with respect to overall average (minimum averaged with maximum) DC daily 10- and 11-day temperatures, July 2011 is still number one. Both July 21-30 and 22-31, 2011 averaged 89.0 versus 88.8 (at the moment, with today's minimum in all probability yet to be reached) for June 29-July 8, 2012; and July 21-31, 2011 averaged 89.0 versus 88.3 (again, at the moment) for June 28-July 8, 2012.

Has the front moved through yet? Still muggy has all hell out up here.

Sorry for the IMBY question, been cleaning and unpacking all day...only now getting a chance to sit and relax

It seems to be snaked across the area but have to go a bit further n to get much relief. Surprise is tomorrow will be 98. ;)

Archived