Newest Member
    Dump Trump
July 2012 General Discussion

Tropical

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Uhhh, no...

First off, I saw about an inch of rain here myself with some crazy lightning (more coming through now).

Second, I'm a weather hobbiest, and I like to experience the extremities of the weather. If the stoms held off to about PM this afternoon with highs in the mid-90s, I would be perfectly happy. IF they am through severe this morning without the 90*F+ temps, I'd be perfectly happy. If it made it into the 90s without any convection, I'd be happy.

What happened instead? After 6th onscutiv days of 90*F+ temps and no severe weather to show fo it, while originally forecasted to tie the all-time record, we get non-sever t'stoms at the worst possible time of day with tons of cloud debris, effectively shooting the chance of seeing severe weather or breaking the all-time consecutive 90*F (especially with outlow-laden temps in the low-mid 70s at 10 AM, I've never seen temps recover to 90*F+ under ths circumstances), even if we have four more 90*F+ days after this.

I realize it's hard not to think about just YBY, but I would gladly buy that inch of rain right now. At least you're not getting shut out of convection this week. I'm thinking MKE will.

I realize it's hard not to think about just YBY, but I would gladly buy that inch of rain right now. At least you're not getting shut out of convection this week. I'm thinking MKE will.

It's not that I'm only concerned with MBY, but certain weather isn't very interesting unless you're actually around to see it. That's just me of course, everyone's different.

That said, in this case, outside of the lightning in the initial round it was really just run-of-the-mill convection (max winds of maybe 35 MPH, no hail, no notable shelf clouds). It wasn't worth it to ruin what would have been an all-time record. At least locally, the drought isn't that big of a concern because I knew rain would come eventually (in the mean time the sprinkler's been getting a workout, something they haven't had in the recent wet summers).

But what's done is done.

I would honestly be a little more thrilled about these t'storms had they come through late last night or late this afternoon. Now not only could our 90*F+ day be shot, but there may not be any severe weather to show for it. Worst possible scenario.

Uhhh, no...

First off, I saw about an inch of rain here myself with some crazy lightning (more coming through now).

Second, I'm a weather hobbiest, and I like to experience the extremities of the weather. If the stoms held off to about PM this afternoon with highs in the mid-90s, I would be perfectly happy. IF they am through severe this morning without the 90*F+ temps, I'd be perfectly happy. If it made it into the 90s without any convection, I'd be happy.

What happened instead? After 6th onscutiv days of 90*F+ temps and no severe weather to show fo it, while originally forecasted to tie the all-time record, we get non-sever t'stoms at the worst possible time of day with tons of cloud debris, effectively shooting the chance of seeing severe weather or breaking the all-time consecutive 90*F (especially with outlow-laden temps in the low-mid 70s at 10 AM, I've never seen temps recover to 90*F+ under ths circumstances), even if we have four more 90*F+ days after this.

:weenie:

Only had 0.26" of rain imby with yesterdays storms. Those who do not water their lawns have beds of straw right about now. DTW had a high of 85F yesterday so any thought of tying the 1953 record of 11 days was buried in the record books with the dozens of other times 1 or 2 days ruined a would-be consecutive days heatwave record. I will say though, despite the humidity, overcast and low 80s felt damn good yesterday afternoon despite the lack of rain imby.

After our hottest day since 1988, DTW hitting a record high of 102F (with DET hitting 101F), and per wunderground Wyandotte hit 101.7F.....torrential storms hit the same areas they hit last night, only even worse flooding this evening. Reports say its been torrential rain and flooding, hail, wind, etc at Comerica Park. Here, the sky grew ominous as the storms swirled around to our north and east, and the wind got extremely gusty despite no actual rain. Then the storm finally hit, a storm hit with lots torrential falling/blowing rain & very low visibiliy, though it was rather brief unlike those areas just to my north. Took pics too. Temp fell from 99F to 75F in 50 minutes.

You don't have to go too far back to find the record low maximum temperature for Indianapolis for July 4th. Matter of fact, it broke the record of the previous year. Top 3 coolest below...

July 4: 70º in 2009...71º in 2008...72º in 1997*

Also, I remember July 4, 1997 quite well. I was out on a boat with friends all day and night, partying it up...but it was sweatshirt weather that year. Rather chilly. Sounds nice right now. A few max temps in Illinois and Indiana that day...

South Bend IN: 63º (daily record)

Chicago IL (ORD): 66º

Fort Wayne IN: 67º (daily record)

Springfield IL: 69º (daily record-tied with 1915 and 1963)

Peoria IL: 69º (daily record-tied with 1915)

Moline IL: 69º

Rockford IL: 69º

Indianapolis IN: 72º

Evansville IN: 76º

You don't have to go too far back to find the record low maximum temperature for Indianapolis for July 4th. Matter of fact, it broke the record of the previous year. Top 3 coolest below...

July 4: 70º in 2009...71º in 2008...72º in 1997*

Also, I remember July 4, 1997 quite well. I was out on a boat with friends all day and night, partying it up...but it was sweatshirt weather that year. Rather chilly. Sounds nice right now. A few max temps in Illinois and Indiana that day...

South Bend IN: 63º (daily record)

Chicago IL (ORD): 66º

Fort Wayne IN: 67º (daily record)

Springfield IL: 69º (daily record-tied with 1915 and 1963)

Peoria IL: 69º (daily record-tied with 1915)

Moline IL: 69º

Rockford IL: 69º

Indianapolis IN: 72º

Evansville IN: 76º

I remember a couple 4th of July with lows in the mid 40s locally! That sounds really nice about now. Last year it was 82/61, which right about average.

I remember a couple 4th of July with lows in the mid 40s locally! That sounds really nice about now. Last year it was 82/61, which right about average.

Sounds nice indeed! Mid-40s sound a bit extreme though, even for outlying areas. Record low for July 4th is 49F at Detroit and 50F at Chicago, both in 1972, so i suppose those could have have mid-40s lows in the region, but more recently, the aforementioned 4th of July 1997 was very overcast, at least as I remember. Can recall the mid-40s we saw in early July 2001, though it wasnt on the 4th.

Sounds nice indeed! Mid-40s sound a bit extreme though, even for outlying areas. Record low for July 4th is 49F at Detroit and 50F at Chicago, both in 1972, so i suppose those could have have mid-40s lows in the region, but more recently, the aforementioned 4th of July 1997 was very overcast, at least as I remember. Can recall the mid-40s we saw in early July 2001, though it wasnt on the 4th.

Right around 4th of July at least we've had some chilly lows. 7/1/01: low 43°., 7/2/05: low 49°., 7/1-2/07, 47°, 49°., 7/4-5/08, 49°, 49°. 66° was the high here for 7/4/97.

Temp down to 90° at 8:45pm. Lot of communities have canceled their fireworks due to the high risk of starting grass fires.

Figured this belonged in this thread; right now an OFB is making its way south through the Appleton and Manitowoc areas. I really hope it makes its way this far south and cools us off.

Yeah I see that. The 4km 12z NAM picked up on that. If you take a look at those detailed maps on the ewall site - it shows it making it clear down to Chicago. Doubt it makes it that far though.

Edit: Through Sheboygan @ 11:30pm.

Still 85° out. Low will be 79° today!

Yeah I see that. The 4km 12z NAM picked up on that. If you take a look at those detailed maps on the ewall site - it shows it making it clear down to Chicago. Doubt it makes it that far though.

Edit: Through Sheboygan @ 11:30pm.

Still 85° out. Low will be 79° today!

With it still being 88/70 around midnight at MKE, we sure could use it.

With it still being 88/70 around midnight at MKE, we sure could use it.

Dang, hotter than down here! 84° currently. Outflow entering Ozaukee County now.

Edit: Still charging its way south. 70s behind that boundary. Looks to get into Milwaukee at least! Maybe the 12z NAM run was onto something.

Had no clue about the outflow so it was quite the nice surprise when i just took the dog out after we got home. Truck read 89 when we pulled in and 10 mins later it was a wth when i opened the door. sad when you're getting excited over 73 degrees at 2am. Time to pop a few beers and enjoy the weather with the dog because after yesterdays misery outside I'm not leaving the house until this heat breaks on Saturday

Not much hope for any appreciable rains in the forecast and euro has the torch rebuilding in late next week. Gonna get real ugly fast without a miracle here.

At least OKC is having a better go around this Summer thus far...

June 1 - July 4 days with 100º+ max temps

2012: 4

2011: 15

Only four days failed to hit 100º at OKC last July.

June 2011 average temperature/departure at OKC: 84.1º +7.3º

June 2012 average temperature/departure at OKC: 78.8º +0.8º

Had no clue about the outflow so it was quite the nice surprise when i just took the dog out after we got home. Truck read 89 when we pulled in and 10 mins later it was a wth when i opened the door. sad when you're getting excited over 73 degrees at 2am. Time to pop a few beers and enjoy the weather with the dog because after yesterdays misery outside I'm not leaving the house until this heat breaks on Saturday

Not much hope for any appreciable rains in the forecast and euro has the torch rebuilding in late next week. Gonna get real ugly fast without a miracle here.

Yes it will. Saukville's wet dream year is half over, and hopefully it won't last the rest of the year.

Archived