• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
July 2012 General Discussion

Tropical

It is not that it kills the corn. It is trying to reproduce so it tassels prematurely and forms small ears. Normal yields here is southeastern Illinois are about 145 bu/acre the early corn that was planted in March up to mid April will be lucky to do half that and that is if it starts rain this afternoon. As for beans they have about another week to a week and a half then they too will be see reduced yields.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the corn here about 20 miles north of Indianapolis is starting to tassel. It looks to be about 3 or 4 feet high. The heat kills the pollen's ability to fertilize. I remember that in 1988 when it finally did rain in mid-July, the first drops were so hot that they produced scalded spots on the corn leaves. My kids detasseled that year and the seed corn came in under average yields but the rain saved a part of that crop. When it gets very hot and dry the blooms on the soybeans just fall off without being pollinated. And that is the farm report for today!

This is so tantalizing right now, watching needed rain and convection consistently miss on all sides. My guess is Milwaukee will see 0.0" of rain between now and Tuesday night, even though the GFS shows some nice precip with the Tuesday frontal passage. Looks like a similar situation to past fronts, all the dynamics to the north.

It's been weird how every single storm has found a way to dodge the region or dissipate before it gets here. Starting the month on a cool note in the upper 60s, we've been getting cooler than forecast and I think that'll be a trend for clear nights due to the dry ground.

If we don't get rains by the time October comes around (3 months) then we'll be more prone to freezes killing off all the parched crops. Maybe even before that, many freezes in Madison during September with the earliest being 9/12 http://www.crh.noaa.gov/mkx/climate/climate-decode.php?SITE=msn&TYPE=extr&MONTH=sep

Tomorrow will be 4 minutes shorter than the solstice.

It's been weird how every single storm has found a way to dodge the region or dissipate before it gets here. Starting the month on a cool note in the upper 60s, we've been getting cooler than forecast and I think that'll be a trend for clear nights due to the dry ground.

If we don't get rains by the time October comes around (3 months) then we'll be more prone to freezes killing off all the parched crops. Maybe even before that, many freezes in Madison during September with the earliest being 9/12 http://www.crh.noaa....=extr&MONTH=sep

Tomorrow will be 4 minutes shorter than the solstice.

Wow, 20s in Madison in September for record lows! The forecasted lows have been overdone it a lot of cases over the last month around here too.

Edit: Corn is not looking all the great around here. The tenth of inch of rain last night is not going to cut it!

5th day in a row here as well. Although we did it the opposite way lol. Full sun the last few hours after the morning clouds/light precip.

Honestly, it's possible that we could get back up close to 90 again. The sun has come out good and strong here now, and there remain three hours of potential warming. We'll see.

Archived