• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
July 2012 General Discussion

Tropical

This summer has been a wet dream for me thus far ... and it looks like it will get even better!

590x375_06221235_jun22a.png

590x375_06221237_jun22b.png

590x375_06221239_jun22c.png

One more month of what's depicted and you won't be able to deny the correlation to 1988.

I will definitely be enjoying my 100s in July! :)

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We can only hope that doesn't happen. The dry conditions that ensue would be devastating to crops, not to mention a windfall to electric companies.

Oh, believe me, I do hope it happens. I love it hot and dry with full :sun:. The hotter, the better!

This summer has been a wet dream for me thus far ... and it looks like it will get even better!

One more month of what's depicted and you won't be able to deny the correlation to 1988.

I will definitely be enjoying my 100s in July! :)

It's been like a dry nightmare for me. Actually, I don't mind the heat, but I could use a little wet in my future.

EDIT: I just realized that I've passed the magical 1000 post milestone, 2 of which have been meaningful.

I know I shouldn't feed the trolls, but the last 7 days have been 88, 86, 85, 96, 96, 96, 84 at my house.

http://www.wundergro...graphspan=month

That's a little higher than 70s, hey?

I'm calling BS on those. It was about 93F each day here, and I'm about the same distance from the lake as you, with your location being slightly further north. Did you breathe on the thermometer?

It's been like a dry nightmare for me. Actually, I don't mind the heat, but I could use a little wet in my future.

EDIT: I just realized that I've passed the magical 1000 post milestone, 2 of which have been meaningful.

More like zero. Haha, jk, congrats!

Would make sense for July to be a hot one with such a widespread drought developing. A wavering/stalled east/west boundary could quickly put an end to any drought discussion in a hurry though in many areas. Will be interesting to see what happens.

With so much heat and so little rain a lot of corn isn't going to tassle. No tassle will mean no corn.

The corn and other crops; outside of wheat, look pretty sad right now. If it doesn't rain next week, the corn will definitely fail to get to that "knee high by the 4th of July" mark. The heat really dried the soil out.

The corn and other crops; outside of wheat, look pretty sad right now. If it doesn't rain next week, the corn will definitely fail to get to that "knee high by the 4th of July" mark. The heat really dried the soil out.

According to Tropical thats a good thing.

Crops still look really good around this area. Some of the corn is already waist high due to the early start. No signs of any crop stress just yet. Some of the open grassy fields around the area are starting to fire a bit though. My yard still looks okay. There was a period back in May where it got pretty brown, but the Memorial Day storm greened it back up nicely.

Corn will tassel despite the drought. The problem is ear formation. Corn in southern Illinois tasseling anywhere from waist to shoulder high. Some fields farther south have already been declared a total loss and destroyed.

Another week of this and areas east of I-57 and south of I-74 are done.

It takes a long time to kill crops, they are breed to tolerate drought well now. It has only rained barely a tenth of an inch at a time here and it seems like it is enough for the soybeans they grow right afterwords. If it rains in July the crops will catch up quickly with warm soil. Corn is less tolerant of drought but it still takes a while to kill it.

Archived