12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
July 2012 General Discussion

Tropical

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As an example of how out of control this drought has gotten, Terre Haute made it to 99 today despite 850 mb model progs of 18-19C. You wouldn't expect anything more than low/MAYBE mid 90s under normal circumstances.

Dry soil sure seems to warm fast..... In hoping our soaking in Michigan might stunt future heat waves, but most of that forms in the southern plains... And well... It's dry as a bone there.

Had 1.76" of rain today, 1.70" of which came in an absolute monsoon around 2:30ish. Ran into a guy who said "Im 56 years old and never saw it rain that hard". Which, although probably a bit of exaggeration, it was indeed like visibility you would see in a snowstorm. Todays 1.76" brings my July total to 3.62", and the summer total since June 1st to 5.66". DTW saw 1.09" today, bringing their July total to 3.55" and summer total to 4.86".

So for all that drought talk, we are running a surplus in July (still a deficit for summer though). Its funny you think "wow this drought is as bad as it gets" but then the rainfall totals are nowhere NEAR record lows, not even close. So it makes you wonder, what were the record dry years like (for example the 20th driest July had 1.47" of rain).

Had 1.76" of rain today, 1.70" of which came in an absolute monsoon around 2:30ish. Ran into a guy who said "Im 56 years old and never saw it rain that hard". Which, although probably a bit of exaggeration, it was indeed like visibility you would see in a snowstorm. Todays 1.76" brings my July total to 3.62", and the summer total since June 1st to 5.66". DTW saw 1.09" today, bringing their July total to 3.55" and summer total to 4.86".

So for all that drought talk, we are running a surplus in July (still a deficit for summer though). Its funny you think "wow this drought is as bad as it gets" but then the rainfall totals are nowhere NEAR record lows, not even close. So it makes you wonder, what were the record dry years like (for example the 20th driest July had 1.47" of rain).

Feast or famine, my side of town probably had a whole .10" if that. City ended up with .11"

Easily picked up at an additional 1/4 to 1/2 inch around midnight, a very tiny shower popped up overhead with torrential dowpours for a good 1/2 hour.

Yeah I see there have been some pop up showers and even into Canada some storms that have formed in the few hours. Still missed my home per radar estimates though, though that's how it is with convection.

61F here Turtle... dew point still a little high (61F). I wouldn't doubt some fog formed this morning in areas along the river (80F+ river water)...

Last year Miami didn't see 59F until November 30th (56F)... I suppose the steaming Atlantic blunts most cold air until late fall down in the subtropics.

Euro really keeps a pool of cold air around Hudson Bay...wish we could tap that in the extended...say for most of August :)

Wow, 39° in Land O'Lakes! Impressive for the warmest time of year on average. Yeah they probably can hit under 40° any month.

Low 64° this morning - nice and cool late this morning still. Grass seemed to grow quite well after that lake effect shower last night!

Feast or famine, my side of town probably had a whole .10" if that. City ended up with .11"

Oh I know its feast or famine and some areas are still as dry as straw. I just meant in general, almost every summer we hear talk of drought (even last year in mid-July, despite it being the 2nd wettest July on record eventually) but a few heavy storms at one point or another end up assuring it doesnt show in the record books (interestingly, 14 of Detroits 20 driest summers and 15 of Detroits wettest summers occurred before 1940. Talk about feast or famine).

Few overnight showers, so total rainfall for the overnight period 1.79" imby.

A "normal" morning here in the LAF with a min temp of 63º (normal for July 28 is 64º).

Also, I want to wish a happy birthday to our own KokomoWX. :)

MET has us getting down to 56 tonight. IND calling for 60.

And yes, happy birthday to Kokomo.

Pretty impressive indicator of how warm it has been. This graphic shows the lake-wide average surface temperature for Superior, compared to the most recent 20 years. The water temperatures have been running some 10+ degrees above normal since late June.

7-24-12_andrew_lakesuperior2012vsavg-425x319.gif

Oh I know its feast or famine and some areas are still as dry as straw. I just meant in general, almost every summer we hear talk of drought (even last year in mid-July, despite it being the 2nd wettest July on record eventually) but a few heavy storms at one point or another end up assuring it doesnt show in the record books (interestingly, 14 of Detroits 20 driest summers and 15 of Detroits wettest summers occurred before 1940. Talk about feast or famine).

Few overnight showers, so total rainfall for the overnight period 1.79" imby.

That's why, locally, the drought this year was overhyped.

I knew it was only a matter of time before we would break it.

A similar thing happened last July, where we started off the first half of the month with a notable deficit then the month ended as the 2nd wettest July on record.

Archived