amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
July 2012 General Discussion

Tropical

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

22nd 90+ of the month today. Slight chance of rain early this evening, but it looks like the best chances will be northeast of us once again. Looks like another long string of 90+ days beginning with today.

I really hope you get some rain down there in NW Illinois. I know you need it much more than we do now (although most of the Midwest still needs it to some degree). I would have to think the ring of fire pattern, if it continues, starts to shift south a bit, as it already has.

Using VERY conservative numbers for tomorrow (high of 80*F, low of 60*F), July 2012 will be a top 3 warmest for Detroit, at least technically.

Using more realistic numbers, it'll probably, at the very least, tie for the 2nd warmest July on record (right behind 2011), as 1955 and 1921 are both listed at 79*F, or tied for 2nd place.

Amazing...

Thanks to the clear skies still overhead, I just saw a meteor streak across the sky from SE to NW into Wisconsin at about 10:55pm. It was as bright as the moon is shining and appeared quite low in the sky.

Still 79° out.

Warmest July on record in Columbus, and 2nd warmest in Cleveland. Climate records date to 1869 at Columbus, and 1871 in Cleveland. Here's the top three for both cities:

Columbus

80.6, 2012

80.2, 2011

80.2, 1999

Cleveland

79.1, 1955

78.0, 2012

77.6, 2011 & 1949

What would dtw need to do today to make this the warmest July on record?

Not happening. DTW needs a high of 104 to tie the record via rounding or a high of 107 to actually tie the 79.306 record set last summer. This July will likely come in tied for second hottest.

Not happening. DTW needs a high of 104 to tie the record via rounding or a high of 107 to actually tie the 79.306 record set last summer. This July will likely come in tied for second hottest.

Alright Yeah I was pretty sure that was the case.

Which is still impressive to have these record tacked on back-to-back.

This July was toasty. But nothing compares to the heat wave of July 2011. That was a keynote event IMO.

The biggest difference this year versus 2011 was that the nights were a little cooler, thanks to how dry the start of the month was.

Last year, the average low by July's end was 69.3, where as this year it was 68.4*F as of yesterday.

In terms of actual daytime heat, one could argue this year was worse, because we had a lot more days of extreme heat than 2011 (3 100*F+ days versus one day last year, only 2 97*F+ days in 2011 versus 5 this year). However, this July did have one day with a sub 80*F+ high, where as 2011 had none.

In fact, this year's average high as of yesterday is 89.7*F, versus 89.3*F in 2011.

All in all, I'd say 2011 and 2012 are about tied in terms of how keynote the July heat was.

But if you factor in how hot this spring has been (March and May were top 5 warmest on record, some would say this summer started in March, lol), and how much hotter the start of this summer was (June was a top 10 warmest), this year gets the edge over 2010 and 2011, even if August only ends up around normal.

Gorgeous day today, 77 right now with a brisk NE wind off the lake.

Milwaukee will end up with the 2nd warmest July on record.

By the way Wisconsin has only had 2 confirmed tornadoes through the first 7 months, that's the second lowest ever.

Archived