Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
May 15 Severe obs/disc

Ellinwood

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cell that has yet to hit the ground is pushing 35kft near Stafford, no hail on DP yet.

Edit: Hail at 14kft.

Do you still have your presentation about dual pol from last years conference? Would love to take a look at it as I just got the DP add-on for GR Analyst. Not sure if you'd be willing.

I've been watching the cell just NE of Orange,VA. It's got some broad mid-level rotation and occasionally one of the lower scans picks it up too. It's not moving much either which means it's interacting with some of the upper level winds. I can't find Jason/Ellinwood on the SN but if anything that would be a good cell to track locally.

I've been watching the cell just NE of Orange,VA. It's got some broad mid-level rotation and occasionally one of the lower scans picks it up too. It's not moving much either which means it's interacting with some of the upper level winds. I can't find Jason/Ellinwood on the SN but if anything that would be a good cell to track locally.

I am watching the "complex" of storms as they move NE... don't see much besides broad rotation that you see... I do see a few hail signs.

I am watching the "complex" of storms as they move NE... don't see much besides broad rotation that you see... I do see a few hail signs.

Food for thought and more of a complex theory/ phenomena that goes on that you can see with Dual-Pol is the concept of the ZDR column. So in a updraft you have recycled fat raindrops that get "sucked" up beyond the environmental freezing level.. So updrafts will show up at a local maximum in ZDR when everything else is grapuel (~0 Db).

http://www.wdtb.noaa.gov/courses/dualpol/Applications/ZDRcolumn/player.html

First ST Warning:

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON DC

747 PM EDT TUE MAY 15 2012

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN STERLING VIRGINIA HAS ISSUED A

* SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING FOR...

NORTHWESTERN CITY OF FREDERICKSBURG IN CENTRAL VIRGINIA...

NORTHERN SPOTSYLVANIA COUNTY IN CENTRAL VIRGINIA...

STAFFORD COUNTY IN NORTHERN VIRGINIA...

SOUTHEASTERN FAUQUIER COUNTY IN NORTHERN VIRGINIA...

* UNTIL 830 PM EDT

* AT 746 PM EDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING HAIL UP TO THE SIZE OF

QUARTERS AND DAMAGING WINDS IN EXCESS OF 60 MPH. THIS STORM WAS

LOCATED 9 MILES WEST OF STAFFORD...OR 7 MILES NORTHWEST OF

FREDERICKSBURG...AND MOVING NORTHEAST AT 15 MPH.

* LOCATIONS IMPACTED INCLUDE...

STAFFORD...

AQUIA CREEK...

they're north of walkerton to the east of 95 nearer the bay. looks like ellinwood's first target was a good one.

I think today is a good example of the "active severe season" Accuwx forecasted for us.

very marginal day.. not sure it means anything if it didn't perform. actually it probably performed to about its best.

Archived