• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Potential late season snow event for western NY and PA

I wanted to start a thread since this will combine wrn NY and PA. Models park wrap around TROWAL/.deformation band overhead. BUF now hitting this hard mentioning totals possibly up to a foot in higher elevations. LIs go below 0 on the GFS just east of BGM which may signal a heavy band...even possibly TSSN somewhere. Just a massive plume of high theta-e forced up and over 850-700 warmfront. I figure this can be a good thread for disco.

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

6z models are warmer. I bet the heaviest snow ends up in extreme SW NY and western PA. Very dynamic system and fun to track. CoastalWx is right, Someone gets 2"+ per hour rates. Where was this in Feb??? I would love this to be over CNY but we are leafed out pretty good as of today.

AFD

BUT THE THREAT OF

WIDESPREAD TREE DAMAGE AND POSSIBLE POWER OUTAGES DUE TO FALLING

LIMBS UNDER THE WEIGHT OF THE HEAVY WET SNOW ON TREES WHICH

EXPERIENCED LEAF OUT 3-4 WEEKS AHEAD OF SCHEDULE. THIS HAS THE

POTENTIAL TO BE AN EXTREMELY DAMAGING EVENT FROM SUNDAY NIGHT

THROUGH MONDAY AFTERNOON.

I don't know if this is really going to happen, but it's quite interesting seeing this on the models in late April. We had a snow event here in the Pittsburgh area several years ago that occurred in late April. It happened during the day and temps were in the low to mid 30s most of the day. It snowed all day but we barely even got an inch out of it on the grass, if that. That snow was pretty light though. The timing of when this hits will be critical. If the heavy wet snow occurs at night, this could really cause some damage and power outages with the trees in full bloom now.

The 06z NAM has over a foot of snow for BUF while the GFS has about 10". Both models show a changeover during the day to sleet or rain and then a change back to snow Tuesday evening. However, I'm not sure if the 850mb temperatures on Monday morning will be cold enough for snow since they are forecast to be only around -3C, so those amounts are probably too high.

The 06z NAM has over a foot of snow for BUF while the GFS has about 10". Both models show a changeover during the day to sleet or rain and then a change back to snow Tuesday evening. However, I'm not sure if the 850mb temperatures on Monday morning will be cold enough for snow since they are forecast to be only around -3C, so those amounts are probably too high.

Im sure a footnand even 10" is too high for BUF itself. Im thinking maybe 4-8" which would be incredible for this late in april. The only thing im worrying about is the models continue to creep west ever so slightly which also brings that rain/snow line further west. If it keeps creeping west BUF may find itself in more of a rain even with Erie to Cleveland getting the best snow. Thatll prob happen now that someone started a thread for the event itself which usually curses us.

NO SHEIT!! This will end up being the best solution yet for WNY/PA

Edit:.....for snow.....it is the worst solution for maintaining power... :axe:

I was surprised...only about 13,000 people lost power in the May 1989 snowstorm when BUF got 8" and ROC had almost 12". Maybe it won't be so bad. The leaves are small and budding..it probably makes a big difference compared to the big green leaves in October.

I was surprised...only about 13,000 people lost power in the May 1989 snowstorm when BUF got 8" and ROC had almost 12". Maybe it won't be so bad. The leaves are small and budding..it probably makes a big difference compared to the big green leaves in October.

Probably a considerably larger issue for W. PA. I would have to imagine that the further south latitude (even a degree or two) has a significantly larger leaf area to collect snow. Nice for the weather to make it exciting for you while back in WNY!!

I wonder how the "overly wrapped up" bias is being demonstrated with the NAM for this event?

Given that the GFS showed not that much difference in it's solution, would that indicate not by much? I know that the NAM is incredibly amped and rapped up, but it appears that the models have really been honing in on a situation such as this.

Do I think there is going to be 2 inches of QPF for WNY/PA...no, but I think the potential is there for a warning level event for that entire area, which at this time of year is hard to believe, especially considering the historic warm stretch we have had.

Maybe this is me talking out of my *** though.

Probably a considerably larger issue for W. PA. I would have to imagine that the further south latitude (even a degree or two) has a significantly larger leaf area to collect snow. Nice for the weather to make it exciting for you while back in WNY!!

Yeah, the leaves are pretty much in full bloom on the trees now here. With the unusually warm March we had, the leaves were already starting to come in before it was even officially spring.

Have to admit, I've been watching this the last couple days hoping it would trend east and give WNY a glancing blow of light rain. After all these 70/80 degree days and mud-free ground, a snow/heavy rain is the last thing I want to see. I felt pretty good when the Euro was the only model to show a significant storm this far west, but the model agreement now on some sort of precip smackdown in our area is scary. I guess it's time to let the weenie in me take over and sit back and enjoy the show. We only need about 59 inches of snow from this storm to hit our seasonal average....

I may be lucky because I have a lot of Oak trees on my street. The leaves are out by small. However a large maple across the street is almost fully leaved and I have a crabapple and 2 Bradley Pear trees in my side yard that have full leaves. Not to mention the 2 Large Magnolia Bushes that are out as well. I remember the October snow here we only received about 1 inch of snow when I woke up and the trees were hanging and a few small branches came down but the temps came up and the snow melted as it came down the rest of the day.

12z nam is snow to all rain for WNY. Pushes the 0c 850 line right to BUF. Erie to cleveland gets good snow. Knew it would happen.

I'd wait until the rest of the 12z guidance comes in before you throw in the towel. The NAM can wrap up a little aggressively at times, but can't really disagree too much either.

I'd wait until the rest of the 12z guidance comes in before you throw in the towel. The NAM can wrap up a little aggressively at times, but can't really disagree too much either.

The 00z Euro was much colder and less wrapped up...I'd bet the NAM is a bit too aggressive. I'd bet the 12z NAM would still be pretty nice for BUF...the dynamics are ridiculous.

Archived