Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Potential late season snow event for western NY and PA

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry to hear about the bust in BUF but I figured I'd share this picture my parents sent me from ~1100' in Orchard Park, taken around 7PM:

post-619-0-38830200-1335228158.jpg

My dad just reported an additional 0.5-0.75" since that picture was taken, so they're working on a half foot of snow in the not-too-distant south towns. Seems like you really had to get up above 1000' for this to be a meaningful event.

Sorry to hear about the bust in BUF but I figured I'd share this picture my parents sent me from ~1100' in Orchard Park, taken around 7PM:

post-619-0-38830200-1335228158.jpg

My dad just reported an additional 0.5-0.75" since that picture was taken, so they're working on a half foot of snow in the not-too-distant south towns. Seems like you really had to get up above 1000' for this to be a meaningful event.

Elevation is everything with this event, the town of Orchard Park has nothing, yet Chestnut Ridge is over 6 inches. My house has next to nothing near the town of Hamburg, the northern Boston hills have 7 inches. CRAZY! Sinclairville and Arkwright have over 16 inches of snow, would not be surprised to see some 2 foot amounts down there. This storm was far from a bust for elevations over 1200-1500 feet.

Elevation is a beautiful thing. :) I would never move below 1k feet again. 1k buys more here than in BUF probably because the Hudson River here is sea level.

Sunday morning Feb. 28th, 2010...42" on the ground here and 6" at best just 18 miles away near U. Albany. Hard to top that differential.

Elevation is everything with this event, the town of Orchard Park has nothing, yet Chestnut Ridge is over 6 inches. My house has next to nothing near the town of Hamburg, the northern Boston hills have 7 inches. CRAZY! Sinclairville and Arkwright have over 16 inches of snow, would not be surprised to see some 2 foot amounts down there. This storm was far from a bust for elevations over 1200-1500 feet.

Elevation is a beautiful thing. :) I would never move below 1k feet again. 1k buys more here than in BUF probably because the Hudson River here is sea level.

Sunday morning Feb. 28th, 2010...42" on the ground here and 6" at best just 18 miles away near U. Albany. Hard to top that differential.

Meh, do not really care where I live as long as I am close to my job. The real estate market in Buffalo is dirt cheap. You can get a huge house 30 minutes from the city in the mountains for 120k. The nearby suburbs real estate is higher due to its proximity to downtown (Jobs). The farther away from the city you are, the most value you get for your money, but the farther drive you have to downtown. It kind of all evens out in the end, but I would not like to live far from a grocery store or my job. Such a pain driving 10-15 minutes to get a loaf of bread, forget that! Also I do not base where I live on receiving more snow, that's just dumb IMO. Unless I am moving to Florida, sunny and 85 every day is tempting. :P

Crazy difference in amounts from such little differences in elevation. Still a mix of rain and snow here with the temp sitting at 34 degrees. Erg.

This location is a good compromise ..just off I-88 and 25 mins into every mall, shopping center, etc. on the west side of ALB. 7 miles (10 mins) to a supermarket in the next town so I can deal with that. :)

I could live another 25 minutes into the hills and be at 2k feet and I'm pissed when they get more snow, but it would be a long drive in from there.

That 120k house outside BUF would probably run 250-300k here and about 750k down in like Westchester County.

Meh, do not really care where I live as long as I am close to my job. The real estate market in Buffalo is dirt cheap. You can get a huge house 30 minutes from the city in the mountains for 120k. The nearby suburbs real estate is higher due to its proximity to downtown (Jobs). The farther away from the city you are, the most value you get for your money, but the farther drive you have to downtown. It kind of all evens out in the end, but I would not like to live far from a grocery store or my job. Such a pain driving 10-15 minutes to get a loaf of bread, forget that! Also I do not base where I live on receiving more snow, that's just dumb IMO. Unless I am moving to Florida, sunny and 85 every day is tempting. :P

This location is a good compromise ..just off I-88 and 25 mins into every mall, shopping center, etc. on the west side of ALB. 7 miles (10 mins) to a supermarket in the next town so I can deal with that. :)

I could live another 25 minutes into the hills and be at 2k feet and I'm pissed when they get more snow, but it would be a long drive in from there.

That 120k house outside BUF would probably run 250-300k here and about 750k down in like Westchester County.

Ya it was all elevation dependent here in Southern Ontario. Guelph-Caledon which are Torontos farthest burbs to the west and are about 30 min drive from Toronto (with traffic up to 1-1.5 hours) are under a snowfall warning for 6-8inches. You would save some money buying a house out there but I dont think it would be that much different from most of the GTA

Snow Reports:

NEW YORK

...ALLEGANY COUNTY...

ALFRED 10.2 700 AM 4/24 CO-OP OBSERVER

WHITESVILLE 6.1 700 AM 4/24 CO-OP OBSERVER

WELLSVILLE 1.5 600 AM 4/24 CO-OP OBSERVER

...CATTARAUGUS COUNTY...

CATTARAUGUS 12.8 700 AM 4/24 CO-OP OBSERVER

WEST VALLEY 9.0 700 AM 4/24 COCORAHS

FRANKLINVILLE 9.0 700 AM 4/24 CO-OP OBSERVER

1 NE OLEAN 5.5 700 AM 4/24 COCORAHS

PERRYSBURG 5.5 730 AM 4/24 CO-OP OBSERVER

...CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY...

SINCLAIRVILLE 15.0 513 AM 4/24 FROM WIVB TV

5 SE FREWSBURG 13.0 859 AM 4/24 TRAINED SPOTTER

4 SSE FREWSBURG 5.5 700 AM 4/24 COCORAHS

JAMESTOWN 2.2 700 AM 4/24 CO-OP OBSERVER

...ERIE COUNTY...

COLDEN 12.6 730 AM 4/24 CO-OP OBSERVER

2 NE BOSTON 10.0 700 AM 4/24 COCORAHS

WALES 7.5 700 AM 4/24 CO-OP OBSERVER

2 SE GLENWOOD 6.6 700 AM 4/24 COCORAHS

2 S AKRON 3.0 700 AM 4/24 COCORAHS

BUFFALO 1.1 759 AM 4/24 NWS OFFICE

3 E WILLIAMSVILLE 1.1 700 AM 4/24 COCORAHS

...GENESEE COUNTY...

2 NE STAFFORD 4.4 700 AM 4/24 COCORAHS

PAVILION 3.4 700 AM 4/24 CO-OP OBSERVER

...LEWIS COUNTY...

CONSTABLEVILLE 1.4 500 AM 4/24 CO-OP OBSERVER

LOWVILLE 1.0 700 AM 4/24 CO-OP OBSERVER

...LIVINGSTON COUNTY...

1 ENE DANSVILLE 8.9 700 AM 4/24 COCORAHS

4 WSW DANSVILLE 7.0 700 AM 4/24 COCORAHS

LIVONIA 6.0 700 AM 4/24 TRAINED SPOTTER

...MONROE COUNTY...

ROCHESTER INTL ARPT 2.8 759 AM 4/24 ASOS

...NIAGARA COUNTY...

NIAGARA FALLS AIRPOR 1.0 700 AM 4/24 CO-OP OBSERVER

...OSWEGO COUNTY...

5 ESE OSWEGO 1.2 700 AM 4/24 COCORAHS

...WAYNE COUNTY...

2 SW WALWORTH 3.8 700 AM 4/24 COCORAHS

...WYOMING COUNTY...

WARSAW 12.0 700 AM 4/24 CO-OP OBSERVER

1 W WARSAW 11.0 800 AM 4/24 TRAINED SPOTTER

3 N SILVER SPRINGS 6.0 700 AM 4/24 CO-OP OBSERVER

Party-when-I-Want-A

Anything on the hilltops above town?

Nothing that lasted but we had some very blustery grauple squalls today. The last one an hour ago was the most intense. Left nice piles of grauple against the side of the house and the wind blew empty garbage pails 25 feet up the driveway.

Ok, I just spoke with my cousins in Andover, Allegany County, elevation 2300' on Davis Hill.

Their total is 14 inches.

And to think another snow event may be on the way late next weekend.

Don Paul said someone in East Otto (Cattaraugus County) on a hill reported 18". There's some elevations there around 2000ft. Seems maybe high, but I could believe it.

Don Paul said someone in East Otto (Cattaraugus County) on a hill reported 18". There's some elevations there around 2000ft. Seems maybe high, but I could believe it.

On bryan shaws facebook page someone in Lynden,NY which is in Chautaqua county reported 24" of snow which would be the highest total from anywhere in this event even beating Laurel Summit in PA.

It's probably a little too late to post this as interest in waning, but the Bristol Hills area in the Western Fingerlakes did very well from this storm, as they typically do in elevation dependent events. I have a friend who lives on South Hill road at the top of Bristol Hill (elevation of 2150ft)...They reported about 15 inches of snow by late Monday Morning.

Even two days later, there is still snow... here are some pictures from Bristo Ski Resort.

This first picture is a view of the entire slope of the resort with the base being 1000ft and the top roughly 2100ft. There is a very clear break in the snow around the 1500ft mark.

post-912-0-07183000-1335379908.jpg

This second picture is from the summit, and you can see that the snowpack is still deep there.

post-912-0-13668000-1335379914.jpg

It's probably a little too late to post this as interest in waning, but the Bristol Hills area in the Western Fingerlakes did very well from this storm, as they typically do in elevation dependent events. I have a friend who lives on South Hill road at the top of Bristol Hill (elevation of 2150ft)...They reported about 15 inches of snow by late Monday Morning.

Even two days later, there is still snow... here are some pictures from Bristo Ski Resort.

This first picture is a view of the entire slope of the resort with the base being 1000ft and the top roughly 2100ft. There is a very clear break in the snow around the 1500ft mark.

The whole hill was covered the day before...all the way down to the base. Obviously the snow was deeper at the summit.

Archived