Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Potential late season snow event for western NY and PA

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NAM wants to blow the dryslot through here...but the GFS/EC don't. I hope the NAM is a bit overzealous with that. SREF mean for QPF is 1.50-1.75" which seems reasonable.

Probably happening at the worst time also...after a few inches of wet glop....then, potentially 2-3"/hr. at 8:1 ratios with some wind....honestly, glad I'm missing this one. Good luck to all the WNY/WPA'ers out there.

Loop that CMC regional sim prog that was on the central pa thread. That comme head when it pushes into western NY...I wonder of that will cause an early flash over to snow in borderline areas near ROC? That's a pretty dynamic blob of moisture moving into that area.

I'm not sure if the GFS shifting east means anything for YYZ does it?

Just a friendly suggestion that you should try and think about it a little bit or use other resources than continuously asking about your backyard.

I haven't been paying attention to Toronto but given that many have said it's on the western edge, one might then assume a shift east wouldn't be as favorable.

At 1k feet here it feels almost like snow with ovc skies, 40F the dew point in the mid 30's, but the models say its simply too warm aloft to start as snow until you get into the high terrain of central NY someplace. But I wouldn't be shocked it the Catskills high peaks have wet flakes now.

That northern fringe of precip around BGM almost has a snowy look to it on radar

At 0Z 850 reaches it's min of 1C here and then rises as it winds up. Crime this didn't happen in the winter because it would have been a great dump of snow for all of us probably before dry slot issues in east/central NY.

At 12Z the 850/0C line is still from about Oswego to Owego. :)

18z NAM coming in considerably colder (at the onset) for CNY, and storm is slightly east and a touch weaker.....more inline with Euro....suprise////

At 0Z 850 reaches it's min of 1C here and then rises as it winds up. Crime this didn't happen in the winter because it would have been a great dump of snow for all of us probably before dry slot issues in east/central NY.

Not to mention that those who would have received snow, would keep their power......I love snow as much as any nutball on this site, but APRIL 21???.....ummmmm no thanks...

WOW! Looking forward to this storm so much! Going to be EPIC!!! Even though it will be gone in a few days which is great because I am totally ready for 85 and sunny. However we received next to no snow this year. I am totally going sledding tomorrow!

A thing of beauty, keeps WNY in the deformation zone for nearly the entire run!

http://www.meteo.psu.edu/ewall/WRFRAD_12z/jloop.html

GFS wants to pound BUF and even YYZ.

Yep....models have now all but zeroed in on the DZ location, the LP track (NW NJ through CNY, to ART or so.....ROC to YYZ down to Steeler Country is ground zero. Get some banding going and might see a nice bout of thundersnow with max totals in the higest elevations approaching 2' I'd guess. Anything alive and not broke will then have to contend with a fresh snowcover that could (for a couple days anyway) aid in radiational cooling and possible freeze concerns.

Good luck, and keep your small to medium trees/shrubs out of danger.....GO SHAKE THEM EVERY COUPLE HOURS!!!

And good luck to those with sat. dishes for tv or internet. During the crazy 4 foot wet snowfall here two Feb's ago I had to keep hurling hot water about 15 feet up to dislodge the pasting wet snow. LOL

Yep....models have now all but zeroed in on the DZ location, the LP track (NW NJ through CNY, to ART or so.....ROC to YYZ down to Steeler Country is ground zero. Get some banding going and might see a nice bout of thundersnow with max totals in the higest elevations approaching 2' I'd guess. Anything alive and not broke will then have to contend with a fresh snowcover that could (for a couple days anyway) aid in radiational cooling and possible freeze concerns.

Good luck, and keep your small to medium trees/shrubs out of danger.....GO SHAKE THEM EVERY COUPLE HOURS!!!

High terrain of sw NY state just downwind of Erie look to get smoked.

Strong wording from CTP:

...A DESTRUCTIVE LATE SEASON SNOWSTORM WILL OCCUR ACROSS THE NORTHERN AND WESTERN MOUNTAINS OF PENNSYLVANIA...INCLUDING THE LAUREL HIGHLANDS TONIGHT THROUGH TUESDAY MORNING...

Bradford, PA forecast is for 2-4 tonight, 5-9 tomorrow, then another 3-5 tomorrow night! ~1550ft. Crazy.

Looks like the models now put the DEFO band into YYZ. Thundersnow a possibility tommorow night

the DEFO band is looking like from the 18Z models also being enhanced by the lakes (Lake Ontario early on and Georgian bay later on), which are warmer than normal. not sure what the downtown will get as well as the south/west shores of Lake Ontario right near the shoreline. but away from the lake, like say a ring from the NY thruway to say 1/2 way up from downtown hamilton to the Lincoln Alexander expwy and the escarpment to areas near/north of say the 401 in southern/eastern Ontario, might get ugly. I would not want to be on the 400/404 heading north of hwy 7 tomorrow night during the eve rush if that band links up with Georgian Bay as it's looking like it'll do.

Archived