• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Most frightening Tornado videos on YouTube

While not as up close as some in the thread, this tornado touched down in April 1996 near Mountain Home, Arkansas, killing 7 including NFL quarterback Kurt Warner's in-laws who were camping in a popular area called Sylamore Creek. It crossed some incredibly rough terrain of the Ozarks, which basically had no effect on this beast.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqMvaHv5IC0

EDIT: for anyone interested, NWS Little Rock has a nice summary of this event:

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/lzk/?n=tor041496.htm

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 5 months later...

Huge bump, but I recently came across some impressive tornado videos that I had to share.

June 23, 1998 Columbus, NE tornado. Very violent rotation, but was apparently only an F2.

Part II

June 8, 1995 Pampa, TX tornado. At 6:00, classic close-up of debris being spun around the vortex.

August 31, 1994 Spain tornado. This video has an age-restriction for some reason, but it's too awesome not to embed.

In general, everything from the YouTube user that I posted above is pretty good.

Also, the June 16, 1992 F5 Chandler, MN tornado.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoxUYEYD1CI

Failed attempt at a Darwin Award.

i wanted to punch that guy in the face for laughing so much like that. so unbelievably annoying.

i dont know if any of you have seen the joplin tornado chronicles, but it's a great 5 episode video series on youtube taken by nuhurizon. i'm showing you ep 3, it starts off as them a few blocks from their house, driving into rangeline. then they get to the walmart parking lot, and it's the...scariest thing you'll ever see, especially knowing people died there.

episode 5 is also insane, watching the residents of joplin all out on the streets walking around confused, scared, no house, no car, no cell phone, nowhere to go. seeing the looks on their faces. the shock. if you watch the whole thing i dont blame you but, if you dont have enough patience then skip ahead to 9:00 and watch from there. the driver parks and they get out of the car and he just tapes the street. i believe it was 20th street, it was right past dillon's grocery where Lantz Hare died. be warned, in ep 5 at 2:10 a pickup truck drives past with dead bodies in the bed of the truck. skip past it if you do not wish to see.

Huge bump, but I recently came across some impressive tornado videos that I had to share.

June 23, 1998 Columbus, NE tornado. Very violent rotation, but was apparently only an F2.

It didn't strike a whole lot, if it went through Columbus with that size and apparent intensity, it would've been ugly.

episode 5 is also insane, watching the residents of joplin all out on the streets walking around confused, scared, no house, no car, no cell phone, nowhere to go. seeing the looks on their faces. the shock. if you watch the whole thing i dont blame you but, if you dont have enough patience then skip ahead to 9:00 and watch from there. the driver parks and they get out of the car and he just tapes the street. i believe it was 20th street, it was right past dillon's grocery where Lantz Hare died. be warned, in ep 5 at 2:10 a pickup truck drives past with dead bodies in the bed of the truck. skip past it if you do not wish to see.

The first 4 mins or so of this is filmed very close to where thewxmann's video above was taken.

The first 4 mins or so of this is filmed very close to where thewxmann's video above was taken.

can you see the house in the video? i wanted to see the exterior of the house after the tornado but they didn't take another video. interestingly, both the hoplin tornado chronicles and the inside the house video are uploaded by nuhurizon. i wonder if they were friends or something.

• 5 months later...

Just came across this different angle of 1991 Andover, KS tornado. It's pretty neat seeing the tornado transform from a rope-like, Wizard of Oz-esque tornado into a giant wedge.

I think you can time 2:30 into the video with the tornado's closest approach to

. Also, holy crap at how far that piece of debris shot out of the tornado at 4:40. A really scary looking tornado.

The structure on this cell is incredible

(Thanks to Ian for finding this one)

Very scary situation.

Unless the second clip is the early morning Cordova tornado, both clips are of the same tornado at different points. The top view is northeast of Cordova near Empire. Cordova took two direct hits. Rescue workers from the early tornado were caught in the second one. Bo Jackson is getting ready to Bike Bama again in Cordova because of the struggles they continue to have.

Just came across this different angle of 1991 Andover, KS tornado. It's pretty neat seeing the tornado transform from a rope-like, Wizard of Oz-esque tornado into a giant wedge.

I think you can time 2:30 into the video with the tornado's closest approach to

. Also, holy crap at how far that piece of debris shot out of the tornado at 4:40. A really scary looking tornado.

That's wild.  You can clearly see the vortex breakdown/maxing out at around 2:30, which was just as it passed the parking lot in the McConnell video.  It was a little difficult to catch that transition in the other video because it was so close.  Cool to see it from this perspective.  Good find.

• 1 month later...

The winds in this video from about 2:55 until the end are extremely impressive. Dan Robinson, the same guy who filmed this video wrote up a good account of what happened that day and mentioned seeing the Twistex team shortly before this happened.

http://stormhighway.com/blog2013/june713a.shtml

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vw3YYawGZTw

• 1 month later...

I don't know if this really counts, but on May 20th as the News9 chopper flew over the remains of Briarwood and Tower Plaza for the first time live, I can easily say that those images affected more than any others that i've seen as long as i've been tracking severe events. I just knew that at least one of those buildings would be a site of a tragedy. That kind of thing happening was always my worst nightmare in Elementary School.

I don't know if this really counts, but on April 20th as the News9 chopper flew over the remains of Briarwood and Tower Plaza for the first time live, I can easily say that those images affected more than any others that i've seen as long as i've been tracking severe events. I just knew that at least one of those buildings would be a site of a tragedy. That kind of thing happening was always my worst nightmare in Elementary School.

May 20th.

And holy **** downeastnc, that video is insane.

http://www.youreporter.it/video_Tromba_d_aria_a_Trezzo_Sull_Adda_-_29_Luglio_2013

Guys pretty brave or pretty stupid, those windows are also pretty damn tough but I would love to know what happened after they stopped filming. 

That is one of the most insane tornado videos iv'e seen in a while. I would be shocked if the cameraman wasn't injured. 

http://www.youreporter.it/video_Tromba_d_aria_a_Trezzo_Sull_Adda_-_29_Luglio_2013

Guys pretty brave or pretty stupid, those windows are also pretty damn tough but I would love to know what happened after they stopped filming. 

Um, get as low as you can and put as many walls between you and the tornado as you can.  Lots of fail there.

Archived