Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
April 12th/13th and 15-16th Severe Weather Thread

andyhb

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Myself and 'kevlon62' had a decent chase today.

We were initially on what ended up being the Norman tornadic supercell. Just about the whole time we were on it the storm was outflow dom. We were able to see a wall cloud for a time. We eventually left the storm...and it then produced the reported tor.

We then moved on the the second supercell cluster moving in behind the Norman cell, but it really never got it's act together.

Eventually we dropped SW into the Wichita Mountains to make a play on a supercell moving in from the west. This storm combined with the awesome scenic terrain made for great photos. After dark we continued to follow the storm through the mountains and points east. We did see a brief, small cone/needle tornado. Oh, and Wichita Mountains chaser convergence lolz.

ok1ef.jpg

Well.. that's odd..

AT 1217 AM CDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE RADAR DETECTED AN AREA

OF PRECIPITATION THAT WILL LIKELY PRODUCE DAMAGING WIND GUSTS FROM

NEAR KINGFISHER EAST TO GUTHRIE... MARSHALL... MULHALL...

STILLWATER AND CHANDLER. ALL THIS ACTIVITY WAS MOVING NORTHEAST AT

40 MPH.

Well.. that's odd..

AT 1217 AM CDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE RADAR DETECTED AN AREA

OF PRECIPITATION THAT WILL LIKELY PRODUCE DAMAGING WIND GUSTS FROM

NEAR KINGFISHER EAST TO GUTHRIE... MARSHALL... MULHALL...

STILLWATER AND CHANDLER. ALL THIS ACTIVITY WAS MOVING NORTHEAST AT

40 MPH.

Yeah I am not seeing what they are seeing on this one...

Just thought i'd bring this up. This is a quote from a well respected forecaster on another forum about tomorrow,

"In my almost 28 years of living, I've only been as scared over a weather situation as I am for the Great Plains tomorrow once in my life..... and that was the morning of April 27th 2011."

Looking closely at sim ref and updraft helicity, it does not look linear. At all.

Its just so hard for me to believe tornadic activity would generate at that hour over a portion of the country which while they do get nocturnal tornadic activity it normally is already ongoing from the day and doesn't begin developing at 9 or 10pm like it might in the SE or TN Valley.

Myself and 'kevlon62' had a decent chase today.

We were initially on what ended up being the Norman tornadic supercell. Just about the whole time we were on it the storm was outflow dom. We were able to see a wall cloud for a time. We eventually left the storm...and it then produced the reported tor.

We then moved on the the second supercell cluster moving in behind the Norman cell, but it really never got it's act together.

Eventually we dropped SW into the Wichita Mountains to make a play on a supercell moving in from the west. This storm combined with the awesome scenic terrain made for great photos. After dark we continued to follow the storm through the mountains and points east. We did see a brief, small cone/needle tornado. Oh, and Wichita Mountains chaser convergence lolz.

ok1ef.jpg

Congrats.. Better than the grocery store bags in tree's Kentucky chase. Was wondering where you've been hiding leading up to this.. Thought you were just away sexting and skyping with the guy you hooked up with during the cruise. Guess I need to actually care whats happening far away from home and I'd have known Joey was out on a mission.

Forecast soundings tomorrow are pretty nasty in parts of WI and westward into Minnesota...supportive of possible strong tornadoes. The question continues to be whether the really favorable tornado parameters are in a small corridor there or can extend farther south.

I will have a write up later today on Tom Stolze and my chase with a few pictures.

Started the day on US-36, got a picture of a B-52 circling, moved South past Salina just in time for the 1st Marquette storm. Moved ENE while it cycled...thank God for Salina, and then caught it while South of Solomon.

One of my pictures...

300x222_04150231_485667_383576091676544_227009963999825_1213319_110184519_n.jpg

Archived