EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
April banter thread

Ellinwood

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We had a 28 degree low early last week during a freeze warning that verified. Later in the week, we had a frost advisory with a forecast low of 35. The low was 35, but no evidence of frost.

However, the farmer whose apple orchard borders my back yard panicked when the frost advisory was issued, and in the middle of the night started burning hay bales all over the orchard in an attempt to "save" his apple trees. Unsuspecting neighbors called the fire department who started arriving en masse after 5 a.m. but took no action.

The smoke was obnoxious. At sunrise, visibility in my yard was about 200' and the smell of the smoke permeated my whole house. Hope tonight's freeze warnings don't compel him to do it again.

Talking about this weather is boring for sure but man, i'm having alot of fun enjoying it. Hiking, biking, reading on the patio, playing various games with the kids, some early season fishing, and plenty of disc golfing. The only "normal weather" that isn't boring to talk about is normal snowfal but we fell a bit short of that this year.

Did you get smoked again?

Elevation protection working as planned here with a low of 40.7 so far.

They did burn again this morning, but farther away in the orchard. Saw them piling up hay last evening when I got home. There's an odor this morning, but no smoke.

30.6 in my yard.

Yeah it's boring here. The boring weather hits other places worse. Although I do find it intersting how September is the warmest and coolest month.

post-673-0-87093300-1333503678.gif

I wondered what the highest temperature ever recorded in Quito was, and found this:

http://www.washingto...ito_ecuador.htm

Does anyone here believe that the 106 degrees listed for April is for real? Note that no other month has ever reached a high of more than 88 degrees, and Quito is 9,200 feet above sea level.

Not sure which day in April but if it was 2011 it's possible that it was caused by the Tungurahua eruption. Maybe the winds blew the right direction. An anomaly like that has to be caused by something unique.

A really strong heat burst could also cause the temp to rise dramatically.

Not sure which day in April but if it was 2011 it's possible that it was caused by the Tungurahua eruption. Maybe the winds blew the right direction. An anomaly like that has to be caused by something unique.

A really strong heat burst could also cause the temp to rise dramatically.

Thanks for throwing out those possibilities. So far, I haven't found on-line anything else about this, but I'll keep looking.

I wondered what the highest temperature ever recorded in Quito was, and found this:

http://www.washingto...ito_ecuador.htm

Does anyone here believe that the 106 degrees listed for April is for real? Note that no other month has ever reached a high of more than 88 degrees, and Quito is 9,200 feet above sea level.

Records are in the mid 80s for every other month. 108F is a typo or a thermometer in the sun.

Calling all Mets. April cooler than normal? What is your call? I just looked at Accuweather's 25 day product and temps are significantly below average.

2nd half looks to be above normal, but not by a lot. Latest Euro weeklies support normal to above, with weak belows at the start of May.

Don't ever look at the Accuweather 25 day product again.

Archived