amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
More Snow? Choose sides

ski MRG

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would choose snow in a heartbeat. It's always near and dear to me. But, if I had a choice of 45F temps or 60-70...I'd have to role for 60-70. The only way 45F temps would be nice is if we had an approaching storm. Sunny and 45F temps translates to -8C temps at 850...plenty good for snow..lol.

Was going to add my thoughts, but you've done it for me.

Wow, the ridge the 00z Euro builds into the east rides all the way into N.Canada. It's going to be awesome when the pendulum swings back the other way in 2 weeks or so. Everyone will be prancing in their Spring finest when cold and snow roar back in for a nice kick in the azz. I can't wait .

Wow, the ridge the 00z Euro builds into the east rides all the way into N.Canada. It's going to be awesome when the pendulum swings back the other way in 2 weeks or so. Everyone will be prancing in their Spring finest when cold and snow roar back in for a nice kick in the azz. I can't wait .

Wait...you are acknowledging the torch??? Egads

Is this like back in December (and January) when people were talking about how the "rubber band had to snap back?"

I'm hoping for some dramatic, if unlikely, reversal of fortune for ski country this week. Not holding my breath...

I do agree that at some point this all has to flip, but what I'm worried about is that the flip doesn't happen until mid April and by the time the colder airmass arrives, it will be modified considerably by the lack of snow in southeastern Canada. This torch is effecting everyone in the eastern half of north America. In turn, we'll be stuck with 50's and crap until early may. No thanks.

Looks fantastic. I am worried it won't last till April 7th when I am scheduled to arrive for 5 days of skiing. Any new thoughts on closing date?

Nope... this next week will be important to see just what happens and how much snow melts. There's a lot of snow on the man-made runs and that stuff doesn't melt all that quickly so it will be interesting to monitor. I still have a very solid 22" snow depth at the base (1,500ft) so we'll see how fast that goes. If that gets down to just trace amounts around my snow stake, the natural snow trails near the base will be toast.

I'm hoping for some big early April storm now that we're going to torch this week. Like others have said, it almost feels like it has to happen the way this winter has gone.

couldnt agree more .. perfect set-up with extended very warm period the next week, maybe an early leaf-out? that could make for a destructive snowstorm a month from now lol

Wait...you are acknowledging the torch??? Egads

I'm only acknowledging that the 00z Euro shows an impressive and repulsive ridge over most of the country and Canada. It's quite obvious there will be an eventual yin to this yang and that's when late Winter havoc will ensue.

I think that "Pete" acknowledges it, but that "skiMRG" usually succeeds in overriding his rationality.

skiMRG just stole Pete's credit card an booked a flight back to AK for a Winter finale.

Blizz is out of control spreading the early leaf out fallicy. People fall for this Lucy/Charlie Brown trick every year. A little Spring fever and they forget climo and geography.

Climo says significant snowfall doesn't occur very often after mid-March for most of the populace of SNE. 90% of SNE lives below 1000 ft, and about 75% live below 500 ft. It's over for most of us as far as significant snow goes.

Climo says significant snowfall doesn't occur very often after mid-March for most of the populace of SNE. 90% of SNE lives below 1000 ft, and about 75% live below 500 ft. It's over for most of us as far as significant snow goes.

As I've said many times I don't really give a hoot about what the lowlanders get. I'm really only interested in my area and points north. I rarely venture outside the higher elevations unless it's to go to other mountainous regions. Blizz has told me I would see no more snow for weeks now. Last night's snow was the sixth time I've received measurable since his prediction. Regardless, I think most people in SNE will see more snow. Time will tell.

As I've said many times I don't really give a hoot about what the lowlanders get. I'm really only interested in my area and points north. I rarely venture outside the higher elevations unless it's to go to other mountainous regions. Blizz has told me I would see no more snow for weeks now. Last night's snow was the sixth time I've received measurable since his prediction. Regardless, I think most people in SNE will see more snow. Time will tell.

You're in God's country, God can make it snow in July if he wants. Your area is irrelevant to weather patterns locally and globally.

31/14, an overnight low of 17. I see that today's record high at PSF is 60 set in 1967. Out of curiousity I checked out the snowfall stats for Chesterfield in 1967. We received 31" in March, 7" in April, and 5" in MAy that year. The torch/no snow correlation didn't work out thta year and I expect the same will be said this year when all is said and done. I hope those stricken with Spring fever soak it up because the door will slam shut on this ugly period and when it does it's going to hurt the prancing foppish dandies. I can't wait for the b*tching and moaning that will ensue.

31/14, an overnight low of 17. I see that today's record high at PSF is 60 set in 1967. Out of curiousity I checked out the snowfall stats for Chesterfield in 1967. We received 31" in March, 7" in April, and 5" in MAy that year. The torch/no snow correlation didn't work out thta year and I expect the same will be said this year when all is said and done. I hope those stricken with Spring fever soak it up because the door will slam shut on this ugly period and when it does it's going to hurt the prancing foppish dandies. I can't wait for the b*tching and moaning that will ensue.

Haha you are unrelentless, Pete. The torch folks are winning by driving your crazy. I love the snow and cold but I highly doubt you/me/anyone sees anywhere near 43" of snow from here on out like the year you mentioned. How much snow would you consider to off the torch/no snow correlation? I have no doubt it'll snow again but 1-3" snowfalls in the mountains in March and April really isn't a big deal. If its solidly above normal from here on out in the means, and we only get like 6" of snow the rest of the season in the mountains... that to me is the same as "no snow." I'm not going to try and pass off some 3-4" slop system on March 26th as the pattern turned "snowy" again.

Its warm. Its sunny. So what? Enjoy it. Skiing's great this morning and a "brochure bluebird day" is in progress. If it snows again, sweet... if not, it will snow again next season.

Haha you are unrelentless, Pete. The torch folks are winning by driving your crazy. I love the snow and cold but I highly doubt you/me/anyone sees anywhere near 43" of snow from here on out like the year you mentioned. How much snow would you consider to off the torch/no snow correlation? I have no doubt it'll snow again but 1-3" snowfalls in the mountains in March and April really isn't a big deal. If its solidly above normal from here on out in the means, and we only get like 6" of snow the rest of the season in the mountains... that to me is the same as "no snow." I'm not going to try and pass off some 3-4" slop system on March 26th as the pattern turned "snowy" again.

Its warm. Its sunny. So what? Enjoy it. Skiing's great this morning and a "brochure bluebird day" is in progress. If it snows again, sweet... if not, it will snow again next season.

We're going to have at least one more major storm with significant accumulations. That's my call and I'm not just saying it I really think it will happen. It will be warm and sunny today and I plan on enjoying it by skiing with the family at the BEast. I pretty much enjoy everyday Scott. If it's hot and humid I don't particularly enjoy the weather but you can bet I'll be on a golf course enjoying how much farther my drives go than when it's 50 degrees. If its 40 with a strong east wind and sheet drizzle I'll enjoy it by trout/salmon fishing. The weather doesn't get me down really. I've learned you can't fight the weather you need to work with what comes your way. That said, the death of the snowpack and ski season is the most depressing time of year. For today, however, skiing lives on and fun will be had. Oh, next year is going to be awesome!!!!

Archived