• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
More Snow? Choose sides

ski MRG

If you can't tell, part of my rant is just bitterness...I moved up here to this area that averages over 80" of snow, and all the factors were lined up for a great winter in New England (weak Nina, -PDO, -NAO cycle, low global temperatures, low solar)...Will was telling me stories of having 50" of snow on the ground in April 2001 to get me ready to dig out...and we just got utterly screwed while it snowed in Algiers, Africa as well as in all those towns lining the usually mild Black Sea. Now it is snowing in the border towns of Mexico while we're busy hitting 80F day after day in March. In a winter that was by and large a cold one for the Northern Hemisphere with lots of snow cover globally, we got the shaft.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2010-2011 was an amazing winter, but it wasn't a record breaker anywhere. Snow pack was probably a top 3 or 4 winter. Snow totals weren't quite top 5 (maybe BDL got top 5? not sure after the revisions). Great winter but 2010-2011 will definitely happen again probably sooner than most people would think.

2009-2010 was definitely more anomalous...mostly for Philly to DC.

Yeah we will have a bunch of '10/'11 before an Oct 2011 is repeated. The Mid Atlantic winter of two years ago is also probably another 1-200 yr Winter or so. Maybe 300 year when taking into account those ridiculous KUs.

If you can't tell, part of my rant is just bitterness...I moved up here to this area that averages over 80" of snow, and all the factors were lined up for a great winter in New England (weak Nina, -PDO, -NAO cycle, low global temperatures, low solar)...Will was telling me stories of having 50" of snow on the ground in April 2001 to get me ready to dig out...and we just got utterly screwed while it snowed in Algiers, Africa as well as in all those towns lining the usually mild Black Sea. Now it is snowing in the border towns of Mexico while we're busy hitting 80F day after day in March. In a winter that was by and large a cold one for the Northern Hemisphere with lots of snow cover globally, we got the shaft.

We def did get the shaft...no two ways about it. Esp for you since you were coming here from an area that averaged less than half of what Rindge averages and to get this ugly winter really sucks. But it certainly could have been worse...without that October bomb.

:(

I'm sorry Nate. It has been tough

We still had some snow OTG a week after the storm. This was taken on Nov 5 (or 6) when they rescheduled Halloween

I wish they had done halloween on actual halloween night here...there was still like a foot of snow on the ground lol. But it was still cool to see trick or treaters out with snow cover even a week later.

The pattern has clearly gotten to him.

The pattern has just been so crappy for so long...we went from a great pattern in Winters 08-09, 09-10, and 10-11 to one of the crappiest patterns on record...it started after that October storm, and we still haven't gotten rid of the damn AK vortex. Apparently Cold Bay AK in the Aleutians had another record low maximum today with a high of like 11F. Those -20C 850s are doing their work in AK, really brutal up there this winter. Especially western AK and the Aleutians.

The pattern has just been so crappy for so long...we went from a great pattern in Winters 08-09, 09-10, and 10-11 to one of the crappiest patterns on record...it started after that October storm, and we still haven't gotten rid of the damn AK vortex. Apparently Cold Bay AK in the Aleutians had another record low maximum today with a high of like 11F. Those -20C 850s are doing their work in AK, really brutal up there this winter. Especially western AK and the Aleutians.

So we're lucky we had an October snowstorm lol.

We've had a bunch of winters far worse than this one in SNE (eastern Mass excluded).

So we're lucky we had an October snowstorm lol.

We've had a bunch of winters far worse than this one in SNE (eastern Mass excluded).

What was your total?

One town east of Worcester I had 26.6" assuming we are done. It decreases pretty steadily east of here until you get to BOS and their 10". But NW of here it increases quickly because of the in some cases double the snowfall 10-15 miles away for the OCT storm.

What was your total?

One town east of Worcester I had 26.6" assuming we are done. It decreases pretty steadily east of here until you get to BOS and their 10". But NW of here it increases quickly because of the in some cases double the snowfall 10-15 miles away for the OCT storm.

I didn't measure this year. The morning of 10/29 I had a depth of about 15" at work.

Yeah go wagons north to AK for winter....I mean real winter. Its like -15F departure on the month in Nome AK, lol.

What was your total?

Bookend incomingMore snow days ahead

I hope so. May 25th is my last day either way as a senior so I'll be on here hoping for a 30" April storm that cancels school for a week.

30" wont cancel it for a week in April unless its really late April after leaf out. We got 2 days off in 1997 after 33". Though BOS had snow removal issues and a lot of schools there missed a week. They missed a week in May 1977 though...national guard had to be called in like in the ice storm because trees were fully leafed out and 13" of slop fell on them. Probably worse damage than what we saw in October because at least in October the trees had lost some of their leaves.

30" wont cancel it for a week in April unless its really late April after leaf out. We got 2 days off in 1997 after 33". Though BOS had snow removal issues and a lot of schools there missed a week. They missed a week in May 1977 though...national guard had to be called in like in the ice storm because trees were fully leafed out and 13" of slop fell on them. Probably worse damage than what we saw in October because at least in October the trees had lost some of their leaves.

But Kevin said full leaf out by 4/15?

But seriously...a mid/late April snow could cause more problems this year then others with the possible early leaf out.

But Kevin said full leaf out by 4/15?

But seriously...a mid/late April snow could cause more problems this year then others with the possible early leaf out.

Yeah this year will def leaf out early with this torch we are having, so by mid April, we may be well on our way. Some years it wont do it until after May 1st.

The April 28-29, 1987 storm damage was pretty bad too. 17" fell here and 25" up by Hubbdave.

april1987snowmaper0.png

Interesting...that 4/28/87 storm looks similar to the OCT 11 storm for eastern Mass...20+ for Dave, 16-18" for you, 10" for me...Ray looks like he got 8-9" so a little better and it looks like Scott got 2-4" so a little better as well. But similar distribution of snowfall...of course without the extreme totals in SW NH, the Berks, or CT.

Interesting...that 4/28/87 storm looks similar to the OCT 11 storm for eastern Mass...20+ for Dave, 16-18" for you, 10" for me...Ray looks like he got 8-9" so a little better and it looks like Scott got 2-4" so a little better as well. But similar distribution of snowfall...of course without the extreme totals in SW NH, the Berks, or CT.

The berkshires actually got a little bit of a shaft in that storm because they were too far west and also the best cold air was to the east...it actually was raining a lot of the storm there due to less cold air and lighter precip. It looks like they got about 10" near skiMRG but I searched hard when I made that map and couldnt find anything else above 10" there.

The funny part about that storm was most of the snow fell during the day.

It's all relative. It wasn't a great Winter here but it wasn't as bad as some make it out. While my max snow depth came in October I was able to maintain a snowpack for most of the Winter. I pursued my favorite Winter sports without much trouble. There were at least frequent light snowfalls which helped keep the Winter mood going. Honestly though, we could have a blockbuster Winter and it would still pale in comparison to AK. Despite that fact it would take a truly awful Winter to get me to mope about and complain endlessly. I don't let moss grow under my feet, there is always a way to make a bad situation better. I'm an eternal optimist type. The way I look at it there's a good chance next Winter will be quite a bit better and if it's not well we're one Winter closer to the next epic season. WWA level snow AK style. Barely even noticed another 24+" overnight.lol

"Another" 24"? It barely looks like there is two feet depth on the side of the road lol

"Another" 24"? It barely looks like there is two feet depth on the side of the road lol

Right after you get your legs in shape so that you can ski for more than 3hrs before you call it a day you should have your eyes checked. There is 60+" on the level behind that truck. You don't see huge snowbanks because Pete has a truck mounted snow thrower that puts the snow 150' back off the laneway. Perhaps you haven't heard but AK is having a record setting year. Pfft, dopey kids.

Right after you get your legs in shape so that you can ski for more than 3hrs before you call it a day you should have your eyes checked. There is 60+" on the level behind that truck. You don't see huge snowbanks because Pete has a truck mounted snow thrower that puts the snow 150' back off the laneway. Perhaps you haven't heard but AK is having a record setting year. Pfft, dopey kids.

You can check out my legs at the gtg. Ill borrow a pair of zucks socks

That truck must be 14 feet tall

Archived