amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
More Snow? Choose sides

ski MRG

SUSITNA VALLEY-

INCLUDING...TALKEETNA...WILLOW...CANTWELL

500 AM AKST THU MAR 8 2012

.TODAY...MOSTLY SUNNY...EXCEPT MOSTLY CLOUDY WEST OF SKWENTNA.

HIGHS IN THE 20S EXCEPT IN THE TEENS TOWARD THE PARK. NORTH

WIND TO 15 MPH.

.TONIGHT...MOSTLY CLEAR. LOWS 5 BELOW TO 5 ABOVE. NORTH WIND

10 TO 25 MPH.

.FRIDAY...MOSTLY SUNNY IN THE MORNING THEN BECOMING PARTLY

CLOUDY. HIGHS IN THE MID 20S EXCEPT 5 TO 10 ABOVE TOWARD THE

PARK. NORTHWEST WIND 10 TO 25 MPH.

.FRIDAY NIGHT...MOSTLY CLOUDY IN THE EVENING THEN BECOMING

PARTLY CLOUDY. LOWS ZERO TO 5 BELOW. NORTH WIND 10 TO 20 MPH.

.SATURDAY...MOSTLY SUNNY IN THE MORNING THEN BECOMING PARTLY

CLOUDY. HIGHS IN THE MID 20S EXCEPT 5 TO 10 ABOVE TOWARD THE

PARK. NORTH WIND 10 TO 25 MPH.

.SATURDAY NIGHT...MOSTLY CLEAR. LOWS ZERO TO 10 BELOW.

.SUNDAY...PARTLY CLOUDY. HIGHS 15 TO 25.

.SUNDAY NIGHT AND MONDAY...MOSTLY CLOUDY. LOWS 5 BELOW TO

5 ABOVE. HIGHS IN THE 20S.

.MONDAY NIGHT THROUGH TUESDAY NIGHT...PARTLY CLOUDY. LOWS

ZERO TO 10 ABOVE. HIGHS IN THE 20S.

.WEDNESDAY...PARTLY CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF SNOW SHOWERS.

HIGHS IN THE 20S.

At least it will be staying nice and cold in Willow preserving the epic snowpack. Life on the ranch there is almost paralyzed by snow. Almost. I have some cool photos but the files are too big to post.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hate the end of the year melt off. It's almost better if it happens quickly. I blame this whole Winter on Socks and HubbDave.

What da hell did I do? I can see pinning this mess on Tubes, since he ushered in all the misery, but me? I prayed for snow, but Ullr ignored me, so I cursed his name.I thought it would be a little below avg, that's all...until October convinced me that 1979 was happening againWachusett looks a little ragged on the webcams. Wind is blowing nicely...

Snow's prolly done for Mt. Tolland, but jeeze, NNE will have accumulating snow tonight.

This winter has absolutely sucked for SNE, but areas just to my north are near normal totals. I think CON is close to average, and I think Dendrite is in the 60's and my cabin is prolly in that range, possibley more (WV was at 87" for the season not including the October storm), and I want to say some of the Greens are in the up over 150" for the year.

It's barely March, still lots of elevation storms up north. I remember postponing Tuckermans back in the 90's when they had high avalanche danger Memorial Day weekend (MT. Washington recorded somethign like 95" in May!)

What da hell did I do? I can see pinning this mess on Tubes, since he ushered in all the misery, but me? I prayed for snow, but Ullr ignored me, so I cursed his name.I thought it would be a little below avg, that's all...until October convinced me that 1979 was happening againWachusett looks a little ragged on the webcams. Wind is blowing nicely...

Wind is pounding here from the SW as the front approaches. Snow starting to mix in across western New York. BUF reporting RASN at 35/33...the hilltowns are almost definitely all snow.

What did I do? Now watch me move to NYC or DC for a better job and the Monadnocks get crushed with 120" snow and bitter arctic cold. Would only be appropriate.

Wind is pounding here from the SW as the front approaches. Snow starting to mix in across western New York. BUF reporting RASN at 35/33...the hilltowns are almost definitely all snow.

What did I do? Now watch me move to NYC or DC for a better job and the Monadnocks get crushed with 120" snow and bitter arctic cold. Would only be appropriate.

You probably won't see a worse winter in the monadnocks for at least a decade or two outside of the October bomb.

Any luck with interviews, etc? Good to get that first year experience in.

We hired a new French teacher back in the early winter.

Can't believe it is 7:30 and 56F in early March

What are ORH's worst 5 (and I know the stats are fooked up)

1954-1955...21.2"

1936-1937...24.6"

1994-1995...24.9"

1979-1980...26.6"

1988-1989...28.1"

Airport is around 40" right now (estimated because they are still missing the snow for 3/1)

You probably won't see a worse winter in the monadnocks for at least a decade or two outside of the October bomb.

The fact that we nearly got shut-out in December, had only a few days of snow cover in January at the heart of winter, and finished each month in the 5-6F above average range speaks for itself. With March looking to run well above normal in temperatures (and perhaps as warm as Mar 2010 was in Vermont), this could truly be an especially putrid winter. November was also nearly snowless here except for a couple glop events around Thanksgiving. I've had about over 55" snowfall but it doesn't feel like it with the October storm being responsible for almost half of that, and melting within a week even at this elevation. This was also a particularly boring winter across the CONUS: not even any big cutters for the Great Lakes, total lack of lake effect snows, and almost no big storms for the Sierra and other western ranges.

Any luck with interviews, etc? Good to get that first year experience in.

We hired a new French teacher back in the early winter.

Can't believe it is 7:30 and 56F in early March

I'm still waiting to hear back from NYC schools about the fellowship I interviewed for, which would cover a large part of my Masters and pay like 50k for the first year with great benefits. I'm interviewing this weekend in DC for an ESL position with their public schools, similar deal but a bit more money, so we'll see how that goes. It's been a very busy time keeping up with schoolwork, having several weekends on duty, and also trying to apply/interview for better jobs. I'm really not sure I want to come back here...the kids are very rough, the salary is low, and the benefits are not great. I like the community feel of a small boarding school, but the constant negative energy and low pay are getting to me. I'm also looking into pursuing a PhD and getting into higher education, so I'm trying to keep a lot of options on the table.

59F here off a high of 62.6F. Snow has been vaporized except for deep woods that are north-facing. Those areas are retaining 1-2" of slushy cover, but it may disappear tonight with the high dews ahead of the front. The wind has also been brutal on the snowpack.

You've been Mr. Droopy Dog all winter, never a shred of optimism. On and On about 1979 and futility. The power of negative thinking along with the presence of the Dobbs Ferry interloper in the Monadnocks disrupted the balance of nature. Ullr is cagey, worse even than the Great Pumpkin. Your lack of piety brought misery to most of SNE. Thanks.

You've been Mr. Droopy Dog all winter, never a shred of optimism. On and On about 1979 and futility. The power of negative thinking along with the presence of the Dobbs Ferry interloper in the Monadnocks disrupted the balance of nature. Ullr is cagey, worse even than the Great Pumpkin. Your lack of piety brought misery to most of SNE. Thanks.

LOLLLLLL, what the ..?

The great pumpkin?

LOL

All but 1 secluded glen...where sprites and pixies play

walter_miller_camp.jpg

140_4099.JPG

Agreed. I think its fair to place at least a good chunk of blame on him.

This front better move through quick since I'll be skiing MRG on Saturday and Sunday and would love not to be dodging constant rocks and bare spots. Saturday will probably be incredibly chattery and rough but it should be pretty good on Sunday.

You guys are all in the 3 stage of grief suffering: Bargaining. First came denial in December, then cam anger and apoplexy in February, now starting threads of choosing ain't going to change the plight of the snow forlorn poster I'm afraid.

You ought to just go to acceptance - that'll be the end of the journey, and a well deserved one after your having to sit by watch a winter not make the ambulance ride to the hospital; DOA

Other than some nuanced things ...like that cold air IB at 70 hour flurry thing, by the time this overwhelming warm signal goes by the boards you're losing 5% probability of occurrence by day.

All but 1 secluded glen...where sprites and pixies play

walter_miller_camp.jpg

140_4099.JPG

Hey!! That's my post office!!! Best little post office in the East. Everybody has a key but we're not locking it right now as the lock has been sticking and some of the elder folk struggle with it.

Agreed. I think its fair to place at least a good chunk of blame on him.

Socks or Hunchie? I think it's like 60/40 or 70/30. I'm hoping Zuckertubesocks takes a job in DC. That way next year we'll goback to getting buried and they'll get nothing. I guess that's not a big change for them but at least we'll get back to normal.

This front better move through quick since I'll be skiing MRG on Saturday and Sunday and would love not to be dodging constant rocks and bare spots. Saturday will probably be incredibly chattery and rough but it should be pretty good on Sunday.

You'll be fine. They're a 100% open and General Stark Mountain holds the snow well. Have a blast. I'll be there early next week.

You guys are all in the 3 stage of grief suffering: Bargaining. First came denial in December, then cam anger and apoplexy in February, now starting threads of choosing ain't going to change the plight of the snow forlorn poster I'm afraid.

You ought to just go to acceptance - that'll be the end of the journey, and a well deserved one after your having to sit by watch a winter not make the ambulance ride to the hospital; DOA

Other than some nuanced things ...like that cold air IB at 70 hour flurry thing, by the time this overwhelming warm signal goes by the boards you're losing 5% probability of occurrence by day.

I've had a very enjoyable Winter full of skiing, snowmachining, ice fishing etc. The only regret I'll have when Winter is truly over is that it didn't last longer.

Hey!! That's my post office!!! Best little post office in the East. Everybody has a key but we're not locking it right now as the lock has been sticking and some of the elder folk struggle with it.

Socks or Hunchie? I think it's like 60/40 or 70/30. I'm hoping Zuckertubesocks takes a job in DC. That way next year we'll goback to getting buried and they'll get nothing. I guess that's not a big change for them but at least we'll get back to normal.

The top pic is from there as well... I'm serious

I don't want just 2"...I want a 10"+ bomb in April

That's a hell of a storm in the northern prairies of Canada at the end of the Euro run. It would be cool if that shook things up for one more run at glory. I'm happy for my friends in AK. They haven't been above freezing since early November, just an epic Winter for them and it looks to continue unabated for the forseeable future. The April bomb is a real possibility.

Archived