Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
How would you grade this past Winter?

SpartyOn

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would say C-/D+. Sucked but I have lived worse.

My real grade come out in mid April. Next 6 weeks could greatly change my grade. I.e April 2003/April 2005/March 96/April 2009/& others great winter event springs would have positive affects on the grade. Another positive grade affect would be a very warm & thunderstorm filled spring IMBY. Negative impact would be cool/damp/cloudy or cold&dry crap style springs.

It's a little early, as there could be a few unexpected surprises. If I were to give it a grade at this point I give it a solid F. First inch of snow didn't happen until mid Jan, and after an active week we went over another month without an inch. Most of the winter lacked meaningful systems to track. Cold was also lacking, with only 2 days below zero and a relatively warm min seasonal temp of -1.

I'm with weatherpsycho that grading is a little premature at this point. Still weeks of potential left, even if the extended range GFS begs to differ. In the interim though, I'd assign this winter an F, although that doesn't seem harsh enough. An F, expulsion from the school, and some light corporal punishment seems more appropriate.

This winter looks to break record lows in terms of: total snowfall, frequency of snowfall, days with snowcover, peak snowdepth, largest snowfall.

A complete ****ing disaster. If this is it for snow, I'll have to bump 2009-10 and 2001-02 to Ds, because they're not even in the same conversation as this turd.

I'm with weatherpsycho that grading is a little premature at this point. Still weeks of potential left, even if the extended range GFS begs to differ. In the interim though, I'd assign this winter an F, although that doesn't seem harsh enough. An F, expulsion from the school, and some light corporal punishment seems more appropriate.

This winter looks to break record lows in terms of: total snowfall, frequency of snowfall, days with snowcover, peak snowdepth, largest snowfall.

A complete ****ing disaster. If this is it for snow, I'll have to bump 2009-10 and 2001-02 to Ds, because they're not even in the same conversation as this turd.

This Winter makes 2001-02 and 2009-10 look good.

I grade this a F-

Horrible Winter and I thought 2009-10 was bad. Another record low in 2 years incredible. I swear we better have the most snowiest Winter on record soon otherwise the warmnista's are going to have there ways lol.

Im with those who say its way too early to grade. I would have to give it a D/D+ so far, after an A+ last year. But again, that is certainly subject to change. Too many overproducing snowfalls, the very nice surprise snowstorm on Feb 10th, and nowhere near futility snowfall numbers to give it an F. But the disaster that was snowcover, plus the memories of what happened just a year ago and the forecasts for it to have continued this winter, and the fact Detroit saw its 6th warmest meteorological winter on record, are certainly not deserving of anything in the C (or better) category. Much more full synopsis in April!

This snippet from DTX's Feb clim summary is stated perfectly. It really IS the lack of snowpack, not snowfall, that is the story in this very mild winter.

SINCE THE BEGINNING OF THE SNOW YEAR, THE CITY HAS SEEN A TOTAL OF 25.8", OR -8.3" BELOW THE 34.1" SEASONAL NORMAL (TO DATE). MORE THAN THE LACK OF SNOW, THE LACK OF A PERSISTENT SNOWPACK HAS PROVIDED A STARK CONTRAST FROM THE VERY ACTIVE WINTERS OF THE LAST SEVERAL YEARS. HOWEVER, THE 25.8" SEASONAL TOTAL TO DATE HAS ALREADY GUARANTEED THAT DETROIT WILL FINISH OUTSIDE ITS TOP 20 LEAST SNOWY YEARS AND A LONG WAY FROM THE WINTER OF 1936-37, WHEN ONLY 13.4" FELL OVER THE COURSE OF THE ENTIRE COLD SEASON.

This Winter makes 2001-02 and 2009-10 look good.

I grade this a F-

Horrible Winter and I thought 2009-10 was bad. Another record low in 2 years incredible. I swear we better have the most snowiest Winter on record soon otherwise the warmnista's are going to have there ways lol.

We already got that. It was called 2007-08 (taking into account Pearson's BS measuring of the March blizzard).

I'm scared to say..."well at least the worst winter of our lives is over and it's all clear sailing from here". I said that in March 2010. Imagine if 2012-13 is worse? :lol:

I can't give this winter anything more than a D. Hands down, the second-lamest winter I have experienced in my lifetime, surpassed only by 1997-98.

We received marginally more snow this winter than 2006-07 but at least that winter featured the VD blizzard and some frigid cold in February. The only thing this winter has going for it are two nice surprise snowstorms. January was a pretty good month aside from being mild, but December and February have been total disasters. I would say that it's also been nice being able to wallow in disappointment with virtually everybody in Canada and the eastern US in this craptastic winter.

I reserve the right to change the grade if something significant happens but as it stands now, D+. I probably would've gone with a C or C- if we had a big storm or good cold outbreak. I do feel fortunate to even be within shouting distance of average snow given how bad the winter was overall.

C

I love a good snowstorm but I seriously can't complain about the abundance of beautiful warm winter days. Outdoor activities in late Jan is serious plus.

I don't think its early at all to have this discussion. I highly doubt most of these grades will change with a 2-4 inch cement snow that lasts for at most a day.

B

Up here when you only go below 0F 3 times, its always a good year!

If anything my complaints would be the cloudiness (which is one reason we didn't go below 0F much)... I'd prefer colder weather if it meant clearer skies more often. 20 inches of snow is fine with me...Ice fishing has been amazing (If you like catching a lot of fish)...

Archived