• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Worst DC Temperature Forecasts

RodneyS

The current National Weather Service forecast calls for an afternoon high today of 72 at DCA, but so far the high has been 57, and that may stand. I can recall a few other blown temperature forecasts in this same range, but have never documented them. Has anyone here done that? If so, what are the Top Ten?

My forecast high was 72, have topped out at 48 so far. So, off by 24 degrees. That must be one helluva surge of warm air just south of DC...

Ditto that... I knew I should have put on the Turtleneck this morning.. But oh no, I listened to (and hoped for) the low 70's.

Forecast high here is 68. So far 47 is the high for the day.

A little of that warm air tried to make it N. I was at 48 around noon. The clouds broke up some and the temp breifly jumped to 59. Then the clouds returned, and the temp dropped again. Just had a brief, heavy downpour. Sitting at 53 now. Surprisingly, the wind has been non-existant thus far; still waiting for the gusty SW winds and dreading the inevitable NW gale which promises to wake me up repeatedly tonight.

LWX still thinks that it is coming.

WARM FNT S OF CHO HAVG DIFFICULTY PUSHING N ACROSS THE CWA. THIS

IS KEEPING MRNG TEMPS BLO XPCTD VALUES. BUT BLV AS THE CD FNT

DRAWS CLOSER THE WARM FNT WL BE FORCED N AND TEMPS SHOULD STILL

CLIMB INTO THE U60S/L70S E OF THE MTNS.

The fact that LWX was still sticking to the forecast in mid-afternoon may place this bust in its own special category. Normally, they throw in the towel

much earlier, but that pool of warm air sitting just to the south may have gotten the better of their judgment.

Stupid me. I went to work with a short sleeve polo shirt, no jacket. Was up in northern Md about 2 miles south of Pa. Much of the day stuck in heavy drizzle and dense fog with temps in low 40s. froze my butt off. Got home around 5 and it was mid 50s. 15 miles to my south was around 70. What happened to our 70s? Now, its not even too windy. Certainly not advisory worthy. Maybe we can ramp up in the am after a little mixing. Nothing happened today as advertised.

Stupid me. I went to work with a short sleeve polo shirt, no jacket. Was up in northern Md about 2 miles south of Pa. Much of the day stuck in heavy drizzle and dense fog with temps in low 40s. froze my butt off. Got home around 5 and it was mid 50s. 15 miles to my south was around 70. What happened to our 70s? Now, its not even too windy. Certainly not advisory worthy. Maybe we can ramp up in the am after a little mixing. Nothing happened today as advertised.

Me too re: the short sleeve polo shirt. Got to 53F where I was in SW DC. Home in Clarksburg topped out at 49.3F and was back down to 46F when I got there at 6pm right before the winds kicked up. Forecast high from LWX at Clarksburg was 69F. Everyone at work thought I was dressed like an idiot and were quick to tell me so while mocking my "credentials". Then it got worse from the wife and kids when I got home...

• 11 months later...

The current National Weather Service forecast calls for an afternoon high today of 72 at DCA, but so far the high has been 57, and that may stand. I can recall a few other blown temperature forecasts in this same range, but have never documented them. Has anyone here done that? If so, what are the Top Ten?

Today's (January 29, 2013) forecast bust exceeded the one last February, as the NWS forecast high at DCA was 50, and the actual was 69. Can anyone recall a bust in excess of this at DCA?

Archived