Newest Member
    joxey
New England Forum Demographics

wxsniss

New England Forum Demographics  

105 members have voted

1. 1. How old are you?

2. 2. Gender?

3. 3. What hat do you wear in the daytime?

• Doctor / Nurse / Healthcare
    • Police / Fireman
    • Maintenance / Repair
    • Teaching / Education / Academic Professor / Author
    • Computer / Programming
    • Arts / Performance / Entertainment
    • Lawyer
    • Athlete
    • Scientific Research
    • Administrative
    • Business / Financial
    • Military
    • Homemaker
    • Unemployed
    • Other
  4. 4. Political Affiliation?

5. 5. What was your gateway drug to meteorology?

• Snow storms
    • Tornadoes / Thunderstorms
    • Hurricanes
    • Class or lecture in school
    • A book
    • Honestly I can't remember...
    • Other
  6. 6. What conflicts /competes for time the most with your love of weather?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I think you've got a few hours on me...

Surprised not to see met as an occupation (just in case some deserving red-taggers haven't gotten so designated) nor any other natural resource related fields.

My "other" for wx stimulus was the Jan 1953 ice storm that devastated things north & west of NYC at elev 500'+. (Occurred 45 yr to the day prior to the 1998 ice storm. I take weird pleasure in trivia like that.)

I think you're the oldest! 9 months older than I.

You have the best memory of us old folks though! SKIVT, you can not get better more accurate info anywhere anyplace, yea the old stuff was laden with men jokes but thats pretty much gone except for the most boring times, thanks for the lecture though.

I was not lecturing you. I was simply providing an possible explaination for the lack of women readers. There are offensive references all the time. Anyone who is unable to get past that will be driven off and will not come back.

Would you like me to point ot all the off color stuff that has been posted in the past 24 hours as proof? How about the "humping" models discussion this morning?

You may not like it but sexual harrasment is not based on what the person doing the talking or acting thinks. It's based on the listeners response to what is said or done.

I find the information here extreamely helpful. I do not find commercial weather helpful for planning more than 24 hours in advance because no discussion of the probabilty of possible outcomes is ever provided (except maybe the cone of hurricaine landfall probablility. I believe the general public does not have the analytic ability to understand outcome probablilities.

I have been a member of this and the prior site for many years. I am able to ignore the BS gay sex refrences and references to measuring sticks and limp weenies. I still think it is stupid, childish and does not contribute to a scientific discussion.

Many, Many women are not able to ignore that crap though and that certainly can be a contributing factor to the demographics here.

pigeon-hole poll... awkward!

Somewhat surprised that no one selected "book" as a entrance into fascination of meteorology, I remember reading "Hurricanes and Twisters" over and over again as a child, as well as another one with pictures of lightning, as a 4-5 year old. I'd get scared looking at the lightning shots and have bad dreams!

Somewhat surprised that no one selected "book" as a entrance into fascination of meteorology, I remember reading "Hurricanes and Tornados" over and over again as a child, as well as another one with pictures of lightning, as a 4-5 year old. I'd get scared looking at the lightning shots and have bad dreams!

hurricantwist.jpg

Some thoughts:

1) Great response rate... I'm seeing alot of names on here that I've never seen before

2) Age spread: I'm honestly surprised no one in the 10-16 group... I always thought there were some posters keen on a day off from school. And it's entertaining to see that maturity and age don't always correlate.

3) Gender disparity: undeniable. There are clearly very accomplished women in meteorology, on TV and in the field. But the gender disparity here is statistically off the charts. Does it reflect who seeks online forums? Or does it reflect a real difference in interests? And if so, is that cultural or biologic?

4) Jobs: Apologies, I clearly missed something... about 1/3 of you said "Other". I obviously forgot to list Meteorology / Earth Sciences. I'd update the poll, but I think that would automatically erase existing answers.

5) Political affiliations: agree with Messenger/Ginx... majority of posters are center/independent / quiet and want to be left alone, and this is probably true of most suburban America. The political fringes unfortunately get the most airtime / attention.

6) The "political incorrectness": agree with Ginx, hard to expect a sterile environment in here. The same emotion that drew us here in the first place comes out in the posts, and I think it's rare that anyone actually intends to offend or insult. "Weenie", "pants tent", "model humping"... none of this is personal or meant to insult. I think the irreverent language and innuendo is funny and adds character to analysis. Sure, sometimes posts go over the line and the Mods take care of that... perhaps the threshold for tolerating posts is debatable. But this irreverence is very much part of daily conversation, for both men and women, and I don't think it takes away from the quality of content on here.

Putting together all the brainpower and experience here, you can't get better forecasts or analysis anywhere, simple as that.

Some thoughts:

1) Great response rate... I'm seeing alot of names on here that I've never seen before

2) Age spread: I'm honestly surprised no one in the 10-16 group... I always thought there were some posters keen on a day off from school. And it's entertaining to see that maturity and age don't always correlate.

3) Gender disparity: undeniable. There are clearly very accomplished women in meteorology, on TV and in the field. But the gender disparity here is statistically off the charts. Does it reflect who seeks online forums? Or does it reflect a real difference in interests? And if so, is that cultural or biologic?

4) Jobs: Apologies, I clearly missed something... about 1/3 of you said "Other". I obviously forgot to list Meteorology / Earth Sciences. I'd update the poll, but I think that would automatically erase existing answers.

5) Political affiliations: agree with Messenger/Ginx... majority of posters are center/independent / quiet and want to be left alone, and this is probably true of most suburban America. The political fringes unfortunately get the most airtime / attention.

6) The "political incorrectness": agree with Ginx, hard to expect a sterile environment in here. The same emotion that drew us here in the first place comes out in the posts, and I think it's rare that anyone actually intends to offend or insult. "Weenie", "pants tent", "model humping"... none of this is personal or meant to insult. I think the irreverent language and innuendo is funny and adds character to analysis. Sure, sometimes posts go over the line and the Mods take care of that... perhaps the threshold for tolerating posts is debatable. But this irreverence is very much part of daily conversation, for both men and women, and I don't think it takes away from the quality of content on here.

Putting together all the brainpower and experience here, you can't get better forecasts or analysis anywhere, simple as that.

Engineering/Construction would have been a good one to have.....civil engineer here....nice poll

Politics suck. Eom

look at that...62 people voted...61 men, and 1 woman...Turtle hasn't voted yet...Stratus and AmyB don't really post anymore...but that would be 4 women if we all voted...

<on soapbox>

Yes, Steve, they do. And that's why I will not respond to this poll, unless another no answer option is put there (sorry Diane). I do not discuss my political beliefs with anyone, not even my husband. Yes, we do talk a little bit about things, but my political views are my own and no one else's business. Differences in political views have caused SO many problems, be it personal friendships or the huge political chasm that this country has now and polarized by it. I will not take part, even for a simple poll. Needless to say, I totally stay away from the AP forum!!

I have taken a couple of conflict management courses at work, and there are TWO identified topics that cause the most conflict...religion and politics. I take this totally to heart, and agree with this. I do not discuss politics at work, even though I hear others discuss theirs and cause conflicts. While they have not had major blowouts (yet), I stay out of it. Just my opinion.

OK, back to the boredom...

<off soapbox>

--Turtle

Somewhat surprised that no one selected "book" as a entrance into fascination of meteorology, I remember reading "Hurricanes and Twisters" over and over again as a child, as well as another one with pictures of lightning, as a 4-5 year old. I'd get scared looking at the lightning shots and have bad dreams!

At least for gathering this basic demographic info, I guess polls have to pigeon-hole.

Why is all of this kinda intriguing?

We build an image of anonymous posters through the years... it's fun to see how that corresponds to their real life situation.

And I think it's also clear that people can form a completely new persona online compared to real life.

Some other questions that might be interesting:

- What part of the country are you originally from?

- Single / Married?

- Do you login to this site at work?

- Income?

<on soapbox>

Yes, Steve, they do. And that's why I will not respond to this poll, unless another no answer option is put there (sorry Diane). I do not discuss my political beliefs with anyone, not even my husband. Yes, we do talk a little bit about things, but my political views are my own and no one else's business. Differences in political views have caused SO many problems, be it personal friendships or the huge political chasm that this country has now and polarized by it. I will not take part, even for a simple poll. Needless to say, I totally stay away from the AP forum!!

I have taken a couple of conflict management courses at work, and there are TWO identified topics that cause the most conflict...religion and politics. I take this totally to heart, and agree with this. I do not discuss politics at work, even though I hear others discuss theirs and cause conflicts. While they have not had major blowouts (yet), I stay out of it. Just my opinion.

<off soapbox>

--Turtle

i just wanted you to add a click to up the number of women...you don't have to answer any other question ;)

Or just click on the "independent" option ...that's sufficiently ambiguous. :)

<on soapbox>

<off soapbox>

--Turtle

At least for gathering this basic demographic info, I guess polls have to pigeon-hole.

Why is all of this kinda intriguing?

We build an image of anonymous posters through the years... it's fun to see how that corresponds to their real life situation.

And I think it's also clear that people can form a completely new persona online compared to real life.

Some other questions that might be interesting:

- What part of the country are you originally from?

- Single / Married?

- Do you login to this site at work?

- Income?

Those questions again only can be used to "judge" others when the poll is transparent. I don't agree with it, the groupthink mentality. We are individuals, that is where it begins and ends, and no small, boxed-in poll can properly assess somoenes true self to any degree jmo, no ill-will and I understand it's the side most people don't want to hear.

If the poll were anonymous, I would feel differently.

ETauntonMA, on 22 February 2012 - 09:55 PM, said:

wxsniss

Both cold miser and myself are in the architecture field.

ice1972, on 22 February 2012 - 10:06 PM, said:

Engineering/Construction would have been a good one to have.....civil engineer here....nice poll

Maybe some natural resource fields like Parks, Recreation (PF here?), wildlife biology, forestry :) , agriculture.

Archived