joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
0z model suite

Ian

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Going back to what we were talking about at 12Z, I still think a noreaster hit is a small probability, inline with what usedtobe is thinking. Besides the tri-phase that needs to occur, one thing that really does not enthuse me for a good east coast hit is the lack of significant cold air. I find this 0Z GFS solution to be rather realistic because rapid cyclogenesis and positive feedback effects don't magically happen...and a slower development off the coast seems realistic. The small PV Anomaly lifting NE off the coast doesn't help because this system will be rather compact and will have to bomb for this to track farther NW along the coast to develop any significant weather along the coast. I will stick with a general 15% good east coast hit, 85% no go.

Who is DT? I am somewhat new here since I never posted at Eastern. It seems he must be some sort of forecasting genius the way he is talked about here.

He is a sweet talking met with a halo and wings. One of the nicest mets on the board with lethal forecasting skills

What was that storm?

The MA/southern NJ was hit hard on the 1st and early on the 2nd by the first wave dropping 6-12...the second wave the afternoon of the 2nd into the morning of the 3rd hit the rest of the NE including NY and SNE with 6-18 inches...parts of coastal DE/NJ got around 18 total from the 2 events....just inland though saw very little...I think the 2nd wave gave 10 inches to NYC but only about 1-2 along the N-NJ/PA border.

The 00Z GEM looks very 2/1-2/2 1996ish just based on a rough scan of it.

What was that storm?

February 1-2 1996, southwest and central Virginia and the southern DC suburbs got 12-18 inches of snow from that storm and the heavy snow axis extended out to southern New Jersey. Still a nice snow north of that but not as heavy.

Here are the NARR maps from PSU for that.

http://www.meteo.psu.edu/~gadomski/NARR/1996/us0202j3.php

The 00Z GEM looks very 2/1-2/2 1996ish just based on a rough scan of it.

Foot storm down here--

Had a CRAZY sharp Snow/ IP gradient that split lynchburg. One news anchor at a local college with heavy snow-- went to another at the airport and had heavy IP. They are 5 miles apart. 15 inches NW side of town, 10 SE side of town due to IP.

I have to be honest with people. I studied met. for 2 years in met school before deciding to change majors. I've followed wx/mdoels for 10 years. Do you expect the models to show a full out ragin blizzard every model run? No. All you have to look at 120 hours is the pattern. A lot of things will change. IT all depends how neg tilt the STJ can get and how much phase of the PV occurs. We also have to see where the "50-50" low decides to go.As other mets have stated, its about timing/phasing. This last storm this weekend went much farther NW then progged this far out. It usually goes this way during La Nina winters. Sit back and enjoy the ride!

I have to be honest with people. I studied met. for 2 years in met school before deciding to change majors. I've followed wx/mdoels for 10 years. Do you expect the models to show a full out ragin blizzard every model run? No. All you have to look at 120 hours is the pattern. A lot of things will change. IT all depends how neg tilt the STJ can get and how much phase  of the PV occurs. We also have to see where the "50-50" low decides to go.As other mets have stated, its about timing/phasing. This last storm this weekend went much farther NW then progged this far out. It usually goes this way during La Nina winters. Sit back and enjoy the ride!

Honestly, people do worry too much.  It will send you to an early grave lol.  You cant change anything-- so might as well enjoy the ride.  I prefer being optimistic about this and if it doesnt work out-- so what?  On to the next!

Archived