• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
DT, Henry M, Steve D, JB Talk

TheTrials

how high would you estimate the gusts were that you experienced?

it was certainly windy, but i wasn't blown away by them, so to speak.

the highest winds i've observed in our area were the dec 1992 storm,

and the blizzard of 1996.... at least that's what the anemometer in my head told me.

i remember during the dec 92 storm, standing at my family room window at 4am routinely seeing flashes of blue, as transformers were blowing up, one after another. never saw anything remotely like that storm before or since.

I hate to estimate to be proven wrong by a obs station....i think what made it worse was being that we had full summer foliage...the brunt happen during the night....so it was hard to see if one was not out and about...92 and 96 dont automatically stick out in my mind as worse...i was younger also then...march 2010 was prob 2nd on my list

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

how high would you estimate the gusts were that you experienced?

it was certainly windy, but i wasn't blown away by them, so to speak.

the highest winds i've observed in our area were the dec 1992 storm,

and the blizzard of 1996.... at least that's what the anemometer in my head told me.

i remember during the dec 92 storm, standing at my family room window at 4am routinely seeing flashes of blue, as transformers were blowing up, one after another. never saw anything remotely like that storm before or since.

I saw that type of thing during Hugo in Charlotte, NC. We had gusts around 100mph though. That is the storm that got me interested in weather.

Wow horrible post...Middlesex and Monmouth counties were hit hard....have not seens winds like that in my life....parents without power for 2 weeks....me a week....tree damage and flooded basements were amazing

Yeah he doesn't know what he's talking about. Somerset county where I live was also hit very hard. Our power was out for 3-4 days, and there was lots of tree damage and extensive flooding. The winds were the strongest I can ever remember experiencing; transformers were blowing out everywhere that night and the trees were bending like crazy. Lots of tree damage the next day, including some huge trees in my neighborhood which came down. The flooding was the most memorable part for me though; never seen flooding that bad in my life (was too young for Floyd). A street right by where I live was flooded badly in several parts including several homes and businesses, which I have never seen happen before, and I even witnessed a water rescue. Manville, a town right next to mine, was flooded severely and a lot of people lost everything. And Route 18, right by Rutgers where I go to school, was completely underwater from the Raritan River.

No Irene wasn't the armageddon that some were fearing it might be, and the winds were somewhat lower than what the NWS was predicting (the hurricane warning busted), but that certainly doesn't mean it wasn't a very high impact event for a lot of people in this area. Calling it a non-event is ridiculous; it drives me crazy when people call it that.

No. But for most of LI, NYC, NJ, DE, MD it was a non event.

You obviously don't live in New Jersey.

I had transformers blowing up, power going out, trees falling down, roof damage, powerlines falling down, signs blowing down, rivers overflowing their banks turning roads into flowing streams of water several feet high, and 12 people were killed in New Jersey as a result of this storm.

You call that a non event?

I hate to estimate to be proven wrong by a obs station....i think what made it worse was being that we had full summer foliage...the brunt happen during the night....so it was hard to see if one was not out and about...92 and 96 dont automatically stick out in my mind as worse...i was younger also then...march 2010 was prob 2nd on my list

yep. i understand. i think when i estimate gusts, i over-estimate them.

my picks for "most windy" storms are basically based on gut estimates of what i observed, nothing any nearby obs station printed out. although, hands down, dec 92 was the most intense wind maker i've ever seen in this area.

and my other pick, blizzard of 96, the thing i remember most was how loud the roar of the wind was around midnight. but certainly, those gusts may have been matched in other storms, but that particular night left an large impression on me.

yep. i understand. i think when i estimate gusts, i over-estimate them.

my picks for "most windy" storms are basically based on gut estimates of what i observed, nothing any nearby obs station printed out. although, hands down, dec 92 was the most intense wind maker i've ever seen in this area.

and my other pick, blizzard of 96, the thing i remember most was how loud the roar of the wind was around midnight. but certainly, those gusts may have been matched in other storms, but that particular night left an large impression on me.

I agree about 92, the roar of the wind during that event is impossible to forget. It also lasted for days. For the south shore of LI though march 10 was the biggest event of the last 25 years, The tree damage during that event was spectacular in Wantagh with whole sections of full grown oaks blown down on the Wantagh parkway. We are talking a tree here and there but whole sections of 10 plus mature oaks that went down, The damage from that storm will be visible for years to come.

There are others, but i was trying to restrict myself to the mets listed on the title thread. Havent been up to date on the others--LC's Saturday newsletter is still unread--but DT came out from the titled group with the call. As far as hurricanes are concerned, I'd prefer quality over quantity and landfalls over fish, this year especially --NOT to perversely punish the sufferers, but the lack of US landfalls is frustrating for at least vicarious thrills of storm chasing.

He's not the only one calling for an El niño summer.

There are others, but i was trying to restrict myself to the mets listed on the title thread. Havent been up to date on the others--LC's Saturday newsletter is still unread--but DT came out from the titled group with the call. As far as hurricanes are concerned, I'd prefer quality over quantity and landfalls over fish, this year especially --NOT to perversely punish the sufferers, but the lack of US landfalls is frustrating for at least vicarious thrills of storm chasing.

As thrilling and exciting it is to chase a storm and follow a land falling storm, I still can't help but look down upon people who want a hurricane to make landfall so bad that they don't even care about the massive damage it will cause to a large population.

Irene may have been much weaker than originally forecast but there is no doubt that it was not just a nuisance event. Millions of people were still affected and that should not be taken lightly. I hope we never truly deal with a Category 2 landfalling hurricane up here because it would be a catastrophe.

This issue has been dealt with how many times. "Look down upon people.." Ok, come to the weatherboard and check in on how exciting it is for long periods of warmth and no storms. It's amazing to me that a weather hobbyist even evokes such moral disgust, like all of us who love weather--mostly its extremes--are perverts out to wreak destruction upon society. So what weather do you find appealing?? What? A snowstorm like the Boxing Day Blizzard? How many people died over that? I'm sure there's a number of them, from car accidents to heart attacks shoveling snow. Did you wish that? Do you enjoy that? Is that what keeps you coming back to American Wx? Gimme a break. Those who love weather, love it's extremes, and I doubt even one among us enjoys the dark side of it all bc people inevitably die during these extreme events. It's the extreme of nature, it's power, it's humbling of us, that makes many a weather fanatic. You shouldn't post then if weather pattern we are in moves beyond warmth and tranquility to severe storms and tornado destruction--bc inevitably THAT will happen.

As thrilling and exciting it is to chase a storm and follow a land falling storm, I still can't help but look down upon people who want a hurricane to make landfall so bad that they don't even care about the massive damage it will cause to a large population.

Irene may have been much weaker than originally forecast but there is no doubt that it was not just a nuisance event. Millions of people were still affected and that should not be taken lightly. I hope we never truly deal with a Category 2 landfalling hurricane up here because it would be a catastrophe.

This issue has been dealt with how many times. "Look down upon people.." Ok, come to the weatherboard and check in on how exciting it is for long periods of warmth and no storms. It's amazing to me that a weather hobbyist even evokes such moral disgust, like all of us who love weather--mostly its extremes--are perverts out to wreak destruction upon society. So what weather do you find appealing?? What? A snowstorm like the Boxing Day Blizzard? How many people died over that? I'm sure there's a number of them, from car accidents to heart attacks shoveling snow. Did you wish that? Do you enjoy that? Is that what keeps you coming back to American Wx? Gimme a break. Those who love weather, love it's extremes, and I doubt even one among us enjoys the dark side of it all bc people inevitably die during these extreme events. It's the extreme of nature, it's power, it's humbling of us, that makes many a weather fanatic. You shouldn't post then if weather pattern we are in moves beyond warmth and tranquility to severe storms and tornado destruction--bc inevitably THAT will happen.

Like chill. I was just talking about how devastating a Category 2 hurricane would be up here. No offense but that would trump any winter storm, coastal storm, or tornado. I don't wish death upon anybody and I do enjoy all kinds of weather but I always take into account the damage and deaths it may and will cause. It's the biggest downside to being a weather enthusiast in my opinion, but the learning experience is always the upside because the more we learn, the better people can prepare themselves and prevent damage and death.

Archived