Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
January 20-21 2012 Snowstorm OBS & Disco

earthlight

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Amazing...nweenie suicides for northern CT--been a long time since I've seen a cutoff like that...

The MM5 picked up on that last night...not much north of say Danbury...but I was hesitant to post it for fear of the jinx...

Have about 5.5 here in hartsdale. Ripping dendrites again.

We've had a great storm in Westchester....this event really nailed the northern suburbs, with much lesser totals in NYC proper and down towards central NJ. That seems typical for these overrunning/SW flow events as compared to coastals like 12/26 where areas closer to the ocean jackpot.

SN

24.3/22

5" accumulation

We've had a great storm in Westchester....this event really nailed the northern suburbs, with much lesser events in NYC proper and down towards central NJ. That seems typical for these overrunning/SW flow events as compared to coastals like 12/26 where areas closer to the ocean jackpot.

SN

24.3/22

5" accumulation

Most definitely. Finally glad I live north of the city.

id love to see some of the reports out of CT--must be close to a foot in some spots

i left seymour at 10am there was 5" they've been under that band for 2 hrs since.. so im assuming 7"+ easily in seymour with an hour or so left of moderate snow someone will hit 10" in southern ct.. here in stratford at work now about 6" just about to get under a really heavy band

Def around 4-5" in Manhattan. Someone spotted 3" on the Upper West Side like at 9am, and Central Park is right around there. So I'd guess 4" as a final report.

It's all done here as well.

I can say I got 5 inches in the NW Bronx, so that seems quite plausible to me... What it will actually be, I have no idea as I'm not there, haha.

Most definitely. Finally glad I live north of the city.

I've loved this location for years...I went to college in VT and now work in New Hampshire, but I was in Westchester from 1989-2006 growing up, and then for much of the 09-10 winter and lived at home for last winter's epic storms. Being at 350' elevation in the northern suburbs has made a huge difference in so many storms....I got 8" in the 2/21 event last winter whereas many only saw 2-4" around NYC, I got 8" in 12/19/08 when most of NYC and NJ changed to rain and sleet, and I piled up 26" in the 2/25/10 Snowicane while others were raining and mixing in all directions. I had over 50" every winter from 02-03 through 04-05, 68" in 09-10, and 69.5" last winter...it's been a wonderful run though we still have some work to do this year.

Southern CT from IDJ to GON is getting absolutely crushed right now.

4.4" here @ 11:35 AM...but just 1.2" in the last 2 hours because it has not been all the perfect, good snow growth dendrites...but rather some snow pellets and graupel mixed from time to time...though no ice pellets (sleet).

The good news is as the both the surface and upper low exit stage right...any mid level warmth will be shoved out to sea...and there is a good chance that some snow should persist over central Long Island till at least 3:30 PM and the eastern tip till around 5:00PM...

As I type..the precip appears to be again basically snow.

...you were right on william..temp got to 28.9..now down to

28.6..but i did change to sleet/ice pellets..took many measurements..some @

5"..some 4 1/2...took last measurement just before c/o..my official final

is 4.8"..skies are brightening a bit..i think most of the accumulating snow is over..

Archived