bowsunski
    Newest Member
    bowsunski
January 20-21 2012 Snowstorm OBS & Disco

earthlight

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2.9" was total in Sleethold. Good stuff, overperformed IMHO was expecting 1 or 2" of slop to rain as is almost always the case with SWFE's down here. Temp never cracked 30. Nice little event 6.1 for season.

Agree, surface temps very cold for this type of event. You must have had more snow than me w/ the Oct event. My tally is 5" in Colts Neck and 7" in Villanova for the season. Today was a 3 incher for both locations.

We got somewhere between 5-6 inches up here in Monroe in orange county. It had just about stopped an hour ago but we are having light snows again right now. Anyone else still seeing that? Good little quick hitter to go with the 18 inches we had in october. Hopefully we can get a few more events before its said and done.

After 4.7" of snow there has been mainly sleet over the last hour...though it appears to be earnestly trying to go back to the good stuff...

Never did change back...but with so much mid level moisture left over and cooling aloft...you would think some light snow could redevelop over the Island for the late afternoon...and maybe get my total to 5" even...

We got somewhere between 5-6 inches up here in Monroe in orange county. It had just about stopped an hour ago but we are having light snows again right now. Anyone else still seeing that? Good little quick hitter to go with the 18 inches we had in october. Hopefully we can get a few more events before its said and done.

Yeah, same here in CT.

Never did change back...but with so much mid level moisture left over and cooling aloft...you would think some light snow could redevelop over the Island for the late afternoon...and maybe get my total to 5" even...

Great when storms end this way with lots of residual moisture, clouds, flurries, and temps well below freezing. Much better than sunshine and rising temps chasing a storm out of the area.

Great when storms end this way with lots of residual moisture, clouds, flurries, and temps well below freezing. Much better than sunshine and rising temps chasing a storm out of the area.

The sleet might of cost us an inch or so of snow at the end...but on the bright side...at least nothing melted...

With the 4.7" today and the 0.3" Thursday, both the monthly and seasonal totals stand at 5.0". Normal year to date out here is close to 12"...so we've narrowed the gap some; so to speak.

Agree, surface temps very cold for this type of event. You must have had more snow than me w/ the Oct event. My tally is 5" in Colts Neck and 7" in Villanova for the season. Today was a 3 incher for both locations.

3.2 for Oct 29th most of it was sleet, but a nice burst at end of that storm to push us over 3". Today was pretty awesome considering virtually all models has us flipping to rain, until the 6z nam came in with all layers cold especially at surface, had just .3 sleet with temps under 30 whole time. Only bummer was Freehold mall security kicked us off the hill after 20 mins of so of sledging. So just. We'd an occupy freehold mall hill protest, bring back sledging. It's one of the best hills in Monmouth county.

Freezing drizzle appears to have changed to flurries.

The sleet might of cost us an inch or so of snow at the end...but on the bright side...at least nothing melted...

With the 4.7" today and the 0.3" Thursday, both the monthly and seasonal totals stand at 5.0". Normal year to date out here is close to 12"...so we've narrowed the gap some; so to speak.

Not too bad considering how unfavorable the pattern has been and that we struck out with the October Storm. Should winter fight back to near seasonal norms with one or two snowfalls in Feb this may be one of those years in which the sum is more impressive than its parts.

Light to moderate snow here. NW nassau

I can confirm some light snow is coming through here in western suffolk.. Despite only getting about 3.5" of snow.. I believe this is was one of our better events over the past several years... It was your run of the mill snowstorm - some places did pretty well and i am sure others feel like they got jipped.. It's cold out and everything is white and it's not that hard to shovel... Can't ask for better situation...

What's causing bands of -SN to form

From Upton:

RESIDUAL MOISTURE IN THE LOWER AND MID LEVELS...WEAK LIFT WILL

ALLOW FOR SOME LINGERING LIGHT WINTRY PRECIP INTO THIS EVENING.

ANY LINGERING LIGHT WINTRY PRECIP ENDS QUICKLY THIS EVENING...AND

SKIES WILL CLEAR.

WILL LEAN TOWARD THE LOWER END OF MOS DUE TO FRESH SNOWPACK AND

NORTHERLY WINDS...OUR COLDEST DIRECTION.

From Upton:

RESIDUAL MOISTURE IN THE LOWER AND MID LEVELS...WEAK LIFT WILL

ALLOW FOR SOME LINGERING LIGHT WINTRY PRECIP INTO THIS EVENING.

ANY LINGERING LIGHT WINTRY PRECIP ENDS QUICKLY THIS EVENING...AND

SKIES WILL CLEAR.

WILL LEAN TOWARD THE LOWER END OF MOS DUE TO FRESH SNOWPACK AND

NORTHERLY WINDS...OUR COLDEST DIRECTION.

Thanks

Archived