joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Clipper - 1/14/12

SnoJoe

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Joe, How did you do last night? GSP seems like they are leaving the door open for a little more than what they are forecasting.

.SHORT TERM /SATURDAY NIGHT THROUGH MONDAY/...

AS OF 130 PM FRIDAY...THE 12Z GUIDANCE HAS TRENDED DEEPER WITH A

CLIPPER LOW...AS IT DIVES FROM THE NORTHERN PLAINS TO THE TN VALLEY

BY SATURDAY EVENING. THE WAVE WILL BE ACCOMPANIED BY SOME MOISTURE

AND STRONG Q-VECTOR CONVERGENCE IN A DEEP LAYER. FCST SNDGS OVER THE

NRN MTNS SHOW STEEP MID LVL LAPSE RATES WITH THE QG OMEGA ASSOCIATED

WITH THE STRONG VORT MAX...WHILE THE LLVL FLOW REMAINS BACKED AHEAD

OF THE SFC LOW. ONCE THE LOW PASSES BY 06Z SUN...THE SITUATION TURNS

INTO A NW FLOW EVENT...AS 850 MB WINDS VEER AND INCREASE TO AROUND

30 KTS WITH LINGERING MOISTURE. THIS TREND MAKES THE QPF/POP FCST A

LITTLE MORE CHALLENGING. HAVE BUMPED POP UP TO JUST UNDER LIKELY

WITH A BLEND OF NAM/GFS QPF. DESPITE SOME BRIEF WAA AHEAD OF THE

CLIPPER...850 TEMPS STAY IN THE -6 TO -8C RANGE. SO USED SNOW-LIQUID

RATIOS IN THE 12:1 TO 18:1 RANGE. STILL THINK THIS WILL BE

SUB-ADVISORY FOR THE NC MTNS (GENERALLY LESS THAN 2"). TO THE

EAST...IF THE LLVLS ARE NOT TOO DRY...THE MID-LVL MOISTURE/LIFT MAY

BE ABLE TO PRODUCE A FEW SNOW FLURRIES ALONG THE I-40 CORRIDOR

SATURDAY EVENING. OTHERWISE...TEMPS WILL BE BELOW NORMAL...WITH

SKIES CLEARING BY SUNDAY MORNING...EXCEPT ALONG THE TN BORDER.

No snow for you! That is all. T

:gun_bandana: May an enormous sleet storm park itself...........wait a minute......

Hey Joe, How did you do last night? GSP seems like they are leaving the door open for a little more than what they are forecasting. .SHORT TERM /SATURDAY NIGHT THROUGH MONDAY/... AS OF 130 PM FRIDAY...THE 12Z GUIDANCE HAS TRENDED DEEPER WITH A CLIPPER LOW...AS IT DIVES FROM THE NORTHERN PLAINS TO THE TN VALLEY BY SATURDAY EVENING. THE WAVE WILL BE ACCOMPANIED BY SOME MOISTURE AND STRONG Q-VECTOR CONVERGENCE IN A DEEP LAYER. FCST SNDGS OVER THE NRN MTNS SHOW STEEP MID LVL LAPSE RATES WITH THE QG OMEGA ASSOCIATED WITH THE STRONG VORT MAX...WHILE THE LLVL FLOW REMAINS BACKED AHEAD OF THE SFC LOW. ONCE THE LOW PASSES BY 06Z SUN...THE SITUATION TURNS INTO A NW FLOW EVENT...AS 850 MB WINDS VEER AND INCREASE TO AROUND 30 KTS WITH LINGERING MOISTURE. THIS TREND MAKES THE QPF/POP FCST A LITTLE MORE CHALLENGING. HAVE BUMPED POP UP TO JUST UNDER LIKELY WITH A BLEND OF NAM/GFS QPF. DESPITE SOME BRIEF WAA AHEAD OF THE CLIPPER...850 TEMPS STAY IN THE -6 TO -8C RANGE. SO USED SNOW-LIQUID RATIOS IN THE 12:1 TO 18:1 RANGE. STILL THINK THIS WILL BE SUB-ADVISORY FOR THE NC MTNS (GENERALLY LESS THAN 2"). TO THE EAST...IF THE LLVLS ARE NOT TOO DRY...THE MID-LVL MOISTURE/LIFT MAY BE ABLE TO PRODUCE A FEW SNOW FLURRIES ALONG THE I-40 CORRIDOR SATURDAY EVENING. OTHERWISE...TEMPS WILL BE BELOW NORMAL...WITH SKIES CLEARING BY SUNDAY MORNING...EXCEPT ALONG THE TN BORDER.

I'm sure that quote is very informative to the ones that can understand it. :axe:

I ended up with about 2.5 inches. It was weird, 90% of that came between 6 and 8 this morning under a very heavy shower.

:gun_bandana: May an enormous sleet storm park itself...........wait a minute......

I'm sure that quote is very informative to the ones that can understand it. :axe:

I ended up with about 2.5 inches. It was weird, 90% of that came between 6 and 8 this morning under a very heavy shower.

I wound up with 2.3", most of which came between the hours of 1 and 6 am...

I forecast that you squeeze out another inch tomorrow night, and I may see half an inch. Or more.

Edit: FWIW, it's snowing at TRI at the moment. As far as snow falling, I think the Tri-Cities have seen more than the mountains. Accumulation-wise, of course, the mountains win again.

The radar/sat of the clipper looks pretty impressive atm. I sure hope it does well for you guys, espeacilly the slopes. This is their busiest weekend coming up and thankfully the weather is cooperating. I havent seen a flake/flurry in 12 long months. My fingers are crossed some rogue cloud can make it to mby w/o drying up and do me a favor. I have never had a winter where I never saw a flake or atleast dusting of snow. If the LR in model world looks like is does now by groundhogs day, then I will start getting concerned. I still feel like in my area the winter will not pass completely by w/o some sort of token winter weather.

I've got the best chance at seeing a little flake action with this clipper than I had all winter so far says RNK I have only seen about 3 flakes so far (no kiddin) lol.

.SATURDAY NIGHT...MOSTLY CLOUDY. A SLIGHT CHANCE OF SNOW IN THE

EVENING...THEN A CHANCE OF SNOW SHOWERS AFTER MIDNIGHT. LITTLE OR

NO SNOW ACCUMULATION. LOWS IN THE MID 20S. NORTHWEST WINDS AROUND

10 MPH IN THE EVENING...BECOMING LIGHT AND VARIABLE. CHANCE OF

SNOW 40 PERCENT.

.SUNDAY...SUNNY. A CHANCE OF SNOW SHOWERS IN THE MORNING. LITTLE

OR NO SNOW ACCUMULATION. HIGHS IN THE LOWER 40S. LIGHT AND

VARIABLE WINDS. CHANCE OF SNOW 40 PERCENT

The WRF HI-RES NMM model usually handles these clippers pretty well. The simulated radar gives you a good idea of how the precip will evolve (incidently, I find that it also does quite well with summertime scattered t-storms).

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/NCOMAGWEB/appcontroller?prevPage=Model&MainPage=index&model=HRW-NMM-EUS&area=EUS&areaDesc=Eastern+United+States&page=Model&prevModel=&prevArea=EUS&currKey=model&prevKey=model&cat=MODEL+GUIDANCE

I've got the best chance at seeing a little flake action with this clipper than I had all winter so far says RNK I have only seen about 3 flakes so far (no kiddin) lol.

for NC east of the mountains , if anyone gets flakes from clippers its usually the northern areas. Areas right east of the mountains can get skipped due to downslope, so virga watches may be issued lol. But some flakes could make it to the ground north of I-40. Usually partly cloudy skies and windy here with clippers. 1" to 3" along the track in Ky to northern and eastern Tn, western NC with up to 4" in upslope areas.

post-38-0-45529200-1326515431.gif

The WRF HI-RES NMM model usually handles these clippers pretty well. The simulated radar gives you a good idea of how the precip will evolve (incidently, I find that it also does quite well with summertime scattered t-storms).

http://mag.ncep.noaa...=MODEL+GUIDANCE

It looks too robust to me, but we'll see how the evolution goes. No other models put snow that far south in GA , but it does show skipping in the southern foothills and western piedmont, and if systems drop that far usually that's what happens. Overall looks much further south than other guidance.

It looks too robust to me, but we'll see how the evolution goes. No other models put snow that far south in GA , but it does show skipping in the southern foothills and western piedmont, and if systems drop that far usually that's what happens. Overall looks much further south than other guidance.

Yeah, It's farther north on tonight's 00z run of the NMM. The vort max with this one is not that strong and it's not strengthening as it rounds the base of the trough. 850mb temps not that cold either. Snows should be on the light side.

Part of GSP short term:

THE NEXT SHORT WAVE IS EXPECTED TO DIVE DOWN INTO THE UPPER TROF

ACROSS THE REGION THIS EVENING...AND WILL DRIVE A CLIPPER-LIKE WEAK

SURFACE LOW ACROSS THE FCST AREA IN THE 00Z-06Z TIME FRAME. THE WAVE

WILL PROVIDE A QUICK SHOT OF DEEPER MOISTURE...UPPER FORCING...AND

COLD AIR. THE WRN SIDE OF THE MTNS WILL ALSO BENEFIT FROM A VEERING

AND STRENGTHENING NW FLOW AT 850MB. SNOW LOOKS LIKE A GOOD BET...SO

HAVE GENERALLY FOLLOWED THE 12Z SREF AND INCREASED THE PRECIP

CHANCES TO LIKELY ON THE TN BORDER...FOR A FEW HOURS IN THE EVENING

AT LEAST. A BLEND OF HPC AND NAM QPF YIELDS THE POTENTIAL FOR AN

ACCUM OF ABOUT 2 INCHES. CONFIDENCE IS GOOD...BUT NOT QUITE GOOD

ENOUGH FOR A SECOND PERIOD ADVISORY AT THIS POINT...SO WILL DEFER TO

THE NEXT SHIFT. SOME OF THE SNOW SHOWERS WILL SPREAD OUTSIDE THE

USUAL NW FLOW SPOTS AS THE UPPER WAVE HAPPENS. ANY BREACH IN

CONTAINMENT E OF THE BLUE RIDGE WILL LIKELY HAPPEN TO THE N OF THE

FCST AREA AND ABOUT 75-100 MILES TO THE NORTH OF THE TRACK OF THE

MAIN VORT CENTER. CANNOT RULE OUT A FEW FLURRIES ACROSS THE NC

FOOTHILLS AND WRN PIEDMONT IN THE EVENING. A GUIDANCE BLEND LOOKS

GOOD FOR MIN TEMPS.

for NC east of the mountains , if anyone gets flakes from clippers its usually the northern areas. Areas right east of the mountains can get skipped due to downslope, so virga watches may be issued lol. But some flakes could make it to the ground north of I-40. Usually partly cloudy skies and windy here with clippers. 1" to 3" along the track in Ky to northern and eastern Tn, western NC with up to 4" in upslope areas.

post-38-0-45529200-1326515431.gif

To my suprise my chances have been cut in half this morning! :o

TONIGHT...MOSTLY CLOUDY IN THE EVENING...THEN BECOMING PARTLY

CLOUDY. A 20 PERCENT CHANCE OF SNOW SHOWERS. LOWS IN THE MID 20S.

LIGHT AND VARIABLE WINDS.

.SUNDAY...SUNNY. HIGHS IN THE LOWER 40S. NORTHWEST WINDS AROUND

10 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 20 MPH

NO WAY! I can't believe that

Wilkes County was given a 50% chance up to 1inch so no worries...we usually get the same type of weather.

NO WAY! I can't believe that

Different shifts different people. I am noticing the same thing happen to Wilkes County from NWS Blacksburg. Snow chances are increased and decreased by half on just about every other shift for Surry County as well.

Wilkes County was given a 50% chance up to 1inch so no worries...we usually get the same type of weather.

Different shifts different people. I am noticing the same thing happen to Wilkes County from NWS Blacksburg. Snow chances are increased and decreased by half on just about every other shift for Surry County as well.

All hope is not lost, I got alert from TWC for 30% chance tonight... :snowing:

WARNING TO THOSE EAST OF THE MOUNTAINS: It is a clipper ;)

Ok carry on!

Here is to hoping for a few flurries tonight.

That warning could go any way. I definitly do not expect much here in central NC (probably not even a flurry), but we have had surprises in the past. Matters if we can get the clipper to over-perform and if we're in the exact spot (narrow band). But that's wishful thinking....

RAH did put flurries in the forcast for central NC.

That warning could go any way. I definitly do not expect much here in central NC (probably not even a flurry), but we have had surprises in the past. Matters if we can get the clipper to over-perform and if we're in the exact spot (narrow band). But that's wishful thinking....

RAH did put flurries in the forcast for central NC.

Yes they did on the chance we can eek out a few despite a dry sub-cloud layer. We will have to see if the forcing can overcome that aspect.

The water vapor and RUC clearly shows this as a nice developing clipper that maxes out around east Tn/nw NC, east Ky and sw VA, where support and moisture combined are perfectly situated. A developing warm advection precip pattern is occurring in Tn and the Bootheel of Mo, so all systems go for a blossoming of snow pretty quickly that will skim across northern Tenn and reach the mtns to near Boone by 6 to 8 hours from now, then the upslope + synoptic lift goes on for 4 or 5 hours, followed by pure upslope.

Here's my call. Also, flurries reaching the ground east of the mountains looks likely this time, except the southern foothills and southwest piedmont from CLT, west. I won't be surprised to see 6" total in some spots of Avery/Watauga/Mitchell by Sunday afternoon.

post-38-0-08588900-1326551901.jpg

Archived