• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Clipper - 1/14/12

SnoJoe

I never get any snow with clippers. But I like what you posted above sir..

Not completely understanding how sim radar works, but I guess even though there are projected returns, it doesn't necessarily mean it will make it to the ground. Correct? This could be a big virga storm should the lower layers be too dry. Anybody want to chime in on this.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not completely understanding how sim radar works, but I guess even though there are projected returns, it doesn't necessarily mean it will make it to the ground. Correct? This could be a big virga storm should the lower layers be too dry. Anybody want to chime in on this.

i would be surprised to even get that much virga with a clipper even. i am very dubious, but will most likely be watching and waiting for a big bunch of fail anyway lol

Boy RNK keeps lowering my chances every updated package, Not nearly as optimistic as others on the board?

TONIGHT...MOSTLY CLOUDY. A SLIGHT CHANCE OF SNOW SHOWERS THIS

EVENING...THEN A CHANCE OF FLURRIES AFTER MIDNIGHT. LOWS IN THE

MID 20S. LIGHT AND VARIABLE WINDS. CHANCE OF SNOW 20 PERCENT.

But they added this: MONDAY NIGHT...MOSTLY CLOUDY. A SLIGHT CHANCE OF RAIN SHOWERS

AND FREEZING RAIN AFTER MIDNIGHT. NOT AS COOL WITH LOWS IN THE

MID 30S. SOUTHWEST WINDS AROUND 10 MPH. CHANCE OF PRECIPITATION

20 PERCENT.

I was also lowered 10% down to 40% chance of snow tonight up to 1inch . Also added 20% chance of snow showers Sunday morning and freezing rain for Monday night.

And their crayons say different...

active_STS.png

No expert here but, that sim radar looks way over done to me. As was said above maybe some or most of it is virga. It will take a bit to moistin up the atmos. here in Weaverville. GSP has been pretty close with our totals so far this year. They are calling for less than a inch for mby.

Weaverville obs: Temp 38.3° DP 23.8° RH 56%

US National Weather Service Blacksburg VA

A weak low pressure system passing to our south will bring a period of snow to the area tonight. Accumulations of 1-3 inches are possible in spots across northwest North Carolina, up into the Mountain Empire of Virginia. Depending on where and how strong the bands of snow are, light accumulations of an inch or less may push slightly further east than currently projected into the NRV region. A few snow showers may also spill over the Blue Ridge later this evening. Be alert for possible icy road conditions if out traveling tonight. Visit http://www.erh.noaa.gov/er/rnk/emer/emer.php for up to date snowfall forecasts.

Like ·

· Share · 11 minutes ago ·

How much of this has to do with the best moisture through all levels being up along the Va/NC border? Looks to my amateur eyes to be best lift south, best moisture north and with just enough lift north.......north may see better returns of course that's my wishcaste considering I'm near the Va border.... :whistle:

Welcome aboard! I was thinking that very thing earlier. I've seen a number of these vorts traverse right through Central NC and the best precip usually seems to be along the NC/VA boarder. This one is farther south, as you pointed out, and I was wondering why the precip max still appeared to be along the boarder. We'll see how it shapes up. But either way, it looks to me like the vort is slightly stronger on the 12Z guidance, just by the eyeball test. Anyway, glad you're with us.

I am noticing that some of the latest guidance (21z RUC for instance) is shifting the reflectivities a little further south, so I think my earlier suspicions about GSO to RDU being near the sweet spot may not be too far off...but I do agree it's a case of where the best lift will meet the best moisture, and it sure looks like it's going to be a fine line with such a dry sub cloud layer. With dewpoints in the teens, it is going to be awfully hard for any of us to see more than some very fine, small flakes...just think about how in a good winter storm it takes hours sometimes to moisten up the layer (granted, it isn't super dry, but it's still dry) and with limited moisture, it probably just won't add up to much. Just in case, I've got my new DSLR ready if any snow bursts happen to fall my way though!

Clipper looks to underperform. Precip shield(if one can call it that) looks to be well north of where it was modeled. Seems these types of systems are always further north than projected. No biggie, it has to be really cold for Clippers to produce snow in NE TN to get the fluff factor to make-up for the limited moisture available. This winter beggars can't be choosers. I'll take the flurries.

I am noticing that some of the latest guidance (21z RUC for instance) is shifting the reflectivities a little further south, so I think my earlier suspicions about GSO to RDU being near the sweet spot may not be too far off...but I do agree it's a case of where the best lift will meet the best moisture, and it sure looks like it's going to be a fine line with such a dry sub cloud layer. With dewpoints in the teens, it is going to be awfully hard for any of us to see more than some very fine, small flakes...just think about how in a good winter storm it takes hours sometimes to moisten up the layer (granted, it isn't super dry, but it's still dry) and with limited moisture, it probably just won't add up to much. Just in case, I've got my new DSLR ready if any snow bursts happen to fall my way though!

Well I'm in Winston-Salem tonight so I sure would love to see a flurry or a nice little snow shower. This certainly has my interest piqued.

Same here Don. By the way the radar looks, most of the returns are sliding north of us. We might be too far south for this one.

Joe, I think you will add to your totals with the flow part of this. Not gonna be an epic event but I could see you adding 2" tonight. Pretty crappy by your standards but alot of SE peeps would kill for that about now!

looks like the best returns will be in the red zone soon. Extreme nw NC (Watagua, Ashe) and the strip of northern NC counties. Eastern Ky, south central, soutwest VA and extreme NE tn. My fav. spot for synoptic snow is sw VA mountains next few hours down to around Watauga. The latest RUC looks way too far south.

post-38-0-03705100-1326583498.jpg

looks like the best returns will be in the red zone soon. Extreme nw NC (Watagua, Ashe) and the strip of northern NC counties. Eastern Ky, south central, soutwest VA and extreme NE tn. My fav. spot for synoptic snow is sw VA mountains next few hours down to around Watauga. The latest RUC looks way too far south.

Looks like a good call Robert as my virga storm has passed & the stars are out here now.

Please post all discussion and analysis here for the upcoming clipper system this weekend so I don't have to cleverly disguise my IMBY questions in the other threads.Thank You !

I approve of this thread :lol: Good luck Joe :hug:

Hi guys, new poster here. I've been studying this event for tonight and one thing seems a bit off to me: looking at where the models have the vort max and where they're placing the precip looks a little strange to me. I actually think the GSO-RDU zone would be in the *best* position (in regards to moisture/lift) to see something tonight after looking at it some more. I just think the models are placing the precip too far north of the forcing and I can't figure out why they're doing that. Both the RUC and the NAM have the vort max near the NC/SC border, but all the precip along the NC/VA border. That just doesn't quite match up to me, I think it should be a little further south, although I do realize it is very difficult to pin point exactly where precip is going to develop. Any one else have any thoughts on that?

Edit: I guess I should clarify I'm referring to the NC Piedmont in this post.

Welcome to the SE Forum :)

Cars are white...roads are starting to get covered again.

:thumbsup:

I'm in the red circle! :tomato:

I'm wondering if part of what is in the red circle isn't being enhanced by upslope flow, but as the vort max continues to dive southeast, that then the precip shield fills in just a little further southward. As I said earlier, I'm interested to see if the RUC (which has trended towards my more southward thinking of early) will be correct.

I'm wondering if part of what is in the red circle isn't being enhanced by upslope flow, but as the vort max continues to dive southeast, that then the precip shield fills in just a little further southward. As I said earlier, I'm interested to see if the RUC (which has trended towards my more southward thinking of early) will be correct.

I saw this mornings run of RUC and then a couple hours ago. So I can't comment too much on it, but it looks like the mornings run was better. The warm advection. Looks like the mid level PVA went further north than indicated and was a little displaced from the 5H vortmax, which explains the dryslotting in east TN to the sw mtns of NC. The moisture is lining up with the best 850 warm advection, which is usually further north than models show in clippers. It almost never fails to be that way too.

post-38-0-51624400-1326585613.jpg

• Radar does seem to be filling in southward somewhat.

the precip echoes will probably lurch south soon toward CLT region. But the southern extent will be mostly virga, more echoes reaching the ground are likely further north, imo. But flurries possible anywhere in central NC , just better shot in the border areas and much better shot in souther VA

Archived