• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 21-23, 1982 Reverse Bust

Deck Pic

Gymengineer, Wes, etc...do you guys remember this 2-parter?...It was a massive CAD scenario where we stayed mostly snow and PIT went to upper 40s and rain...Kevin A. from Cap Weather said it was an epic bust for NWS, Bob Ryan etc who were calling for flooding rains and instead we went into the upper teens and stayed mostly snow....

Gymengineer, Wes, etc...do you guys remember this 2-parter?...It was a massive CAD scenario where we stayed mostly snow and PIT went to upper 40s and rain...Kevin A. from Cap Weather said it was an epic bust for NWS, Bob Ryan etc who were calling for flooding rains and instead we went into the upper teens and stayed mostly snow....

I think I do and if I recall my basic weather forecast had freezing rain as I thought there would be cold air damming. If it's the date I think it was, I got criticized for putting out a forecast for freezing rain which back then was a no no on those progs. That's the only reason I remember it.

Was it Greaseman? I seem to remember it was Howard Stern.

You are correct: "One day after the accident, Howard Stern pretended to call Air Florida during his radio show on WWDC-FM and asked if the 14th Street Bridge would be a 'permanent stop.' Stern later stated that he was ridiculing the airline for allowing such an error to occur." See http://en.wikipedia....orida_Flight_90

You are correct: "One day after the accident, Howard Stern pretended to call Air Florida during his radio show on WWDC-FM and asked if the 14th Street Bridge would be a 'permanent stop.' Stern later stated that he was ridiculing the airline for allowing such an error to occur." See http://en.wikipedia....orida_Flight_90

Thanks. I should have read my own link. Greaseman's famous gaff was about MLK day.

Yes, this is one of my favorite storms. The forecast was for 1-2" in York PA then ice then rain and near 50. We ended as a period of sleet and that's it. Ended up with 10 inches.

It was 3 separate waves- First, 3-8" of snow across the region during the morning of 1/21, ending as freezing rain. That was from a low that tracked across TN/KY. Then, freezing drizzle fell during the morning of 1/22. Finally, 3-5" of snow to sleet/freezing rain fell from the evening of 1/22 into the morning of 1/23. The last wave was part of a so-called "Storm of the Century"- from WA all the way to the east coast. It was part of the legendary Minneapolis blizzards sequence, while heavy rains flooded Indianapolis and southern Illinois. The low cut up through Wisconsin (!), while classic CAD with a Quebec high held us in for snow to ice.

012306.png

I think I mixed the Jan 12-13 event with this one- I remember part 1, they cancelled school with the threat and it was only 2 inches or so. part 2 was Saturday-- Big flakes gave way to freezing rain pretty quickly.

I remember the air florida event perfectly. This one is more foggy though I have some vague recollection.

I remember the air florida event perfectly. This one is more foggy though I have some vague recollection.

I renenber this one well, just for the surprise aspect of it. Was really shocked at the rates when it cranked, with some of the largest flakes in memory.

How many reverse busts are there ? One every 3-5 years ? Have to give that some thought. But what first comes to mind were those ice events in 1994. Seemed like in each one of them the CAD was underestimated, and the forecasts played catchup throughout. Maybe a couple of snow events in the late 80's that turned into 2-4, 3-5" type storms.

Gotta wonder if we'll have many more big reverse busts. Especially inside of 24 hours nowadays. Jan 2001 might be the last big one unless I'm forgetting something major since. Models are far from perfect but they are a heck of alot better over the last 10 years with short lead times.

2/25/07

stayed all snow..was supposed to be mixed bag to rain....

http://www.easternuswx.com/bb/index.php?/topic/127115-lwx-posts-wsw-for-225/

Boxing Day '10....at least down this way.....from sunny and 40s a few days before xmas to nearly a foot of snow and high winds on the 26th....and most stores were closed on the 25th, the day that people would have gone out to stock up when it started to look like it was gonna be a significant storm.

Archived