• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Synoptic event Jan 11-13... upstate NY

Yeah, you can see that my memory was pretty poor, I quickly realized I was wrong once I saw the setup. In my defense, that was a long time ago.

I was editing my last post when you posted this.

yeah no problem...looking back at classic storms is a good thing lol. The storm tomorrow would have been better if we didn't have the new england low still away the low level baroclinicity. The upper level low is so strong that we get moderate to heavy snow tomorrow morning as a result of mid-level frontogenesis and PVA...but we actually have low-level cold advection which is a net negative for vertical motion.

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yeah no problem...looking back at classic storms is a good thing lol. The storm tomorrow would have been better if we didn't have the new england low still away the low level baroclinicity. The upper level low is so strong that we get moderate to heavy snow tomorrow morning as a result of mid-level frontogenesis and PVA...but we actually have low-level cold advection which is a net negative for vertical motion.

It is quite the bizarre storm system. The fact that the initial surface low along the coast doesnt win out and explode over New England is a testament to the strength of the upper level dynamics hanging back over the lakes. And then its a trade off, we are swamped with deep moisture, but low level forcing is gone and the system is stacked up pretty good. Very Unusual.

I still have quite high hopes for this event, its just a strange gut feeling. Between a rapidly deepening surface low directly over WNY, strong upper level support, warmer than normal lakes, and ample synoptic moisture....something has got to give. It almost reminds me of the great 99 snowstorm that pummeled Rochester. I need to dig up the maps from that storm system. Probably the greatest overachiever of my lifetime.

I've got a good feeling about the ROC in this one.

I had mentioned that this had shades of March 99 in the C-PA thread the other night. This event certainly won't be developing in the manner that one did, but the end result is going to be pretty similar in having a really deep surface low in upstate NY and a synoptic swath coming up out of western PA. The 500mb low looks like it will be even more impressive with this system. I'm excited to watch this event evolve.

I remember March 99 starting as a big rainstorm that turned to snow and dumped an inch or two before I had went to bed. I was then woke up around 2am to thunder/lightning and ridiculous winds. Lost power and everything..It was a legit whiteout until about mid morning. We saw about 4-6 inches and the Laurel highlands had places over a foot. Couldn't even imagine what it looked like in western NY.

Yeah the NAM really goes to town...nice

If that could come true we'd prob see a period of moderate to heavy snow 1/2" to 1" an hr for several hours and with lake enhancement tomorrow would be an awesome day. Prob 4-8" verbatim if it came true. Now I hope the GFS is in line with the NAM and this isn't just a temporary hiccup in the NAM and it'll be back to ART for all the good snow.

Picked up 1 1/2" of mostly sleet, never really turned to rain ...WWA issued for southern herkimer county

SOUTHERN HERKIMER-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...ILION...HERKIMER...LITTLE FALLS...

MOHAWK...FRANKFORT...DOLGEVILLE

341 PM EST THU JAN 12 2012

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 6 AM TO 7 PM EST

FRIDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN ALBANY HAS ISSUED A WINTER

WEATHER ADVISORY FOR SNOW...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 6 AM TO 7 PM

EST FRIDAY.

* LOCATIONS...SOUTHERN HERKIMER COUNTY.

* HAZARD TYPES...SNOW AND BLOWING SNOW.

* ACCUMULATIONS...4 TO 8 INCHES.

* TIMING...SNOW SHOULD BEGIN AROUND DAYBREAK FRIDAY AND END FRIDAY

AFTERNOON.

* IMPACTS...HAZARDOUS TRAVEL CONDITIONS AND LOCAL VISIBILITIES

BELOW ONE QUARTER MILE.

* WINDS...WEST WINDS AT 20 TO 30 MPH WITH GUSTS OVER 40 MPH.

* TEMPERATURES...UPPER 20S TO MID 30S.

* VISIBILITIES...LOCALLY BELOW ONE QUARTER MILE IN HEAVIER SNOW.

I had mentioned that this had shades of March 99 in the C-PA thread the other night. This event certainly won't be developing in the manner that one did, but the end result is going to be pretty similar in having a really deep surface low in upstate NY and a synoptic swath coming up out of western PA. The 500mb low looks like it will be even more impressive with this system. I'm excited to watch this event evolve.

I remember March 99 starting as a big rainstorm that turned to snow and dumped an inch or two before I had went to bed. I was then woke up around 2am to thunder/lightning and ridiculous winds. Lost power and everything..It was a legit whiteout until about mid morning. We saw about 4-6 inches and the Laurel highlands had places over a foot. Couldn't even imagine what it looked like in western NY.

kinda has that look to what you normally see in SNE snowstorms Miller B. Precip explodes to the south with a firehose look and then the 700mb low develops underneath. Obviously, the lack of atlantic moisture some of the low-level baroclinicity and waa robbed from the SNE snowstorm this morning will cause it to not be quite so intense.

nam_namer_018_700_rh_ht.gif

nam_namer_009_700_rh_ht.gif

KALB

A STRONG UPPER LEVEL LOW IN THE SOUTHWEST FLOW WILL BE BARRELING

NE FROM THE OHIO VALLEY BY DAYBREAK. THE STRONG DYNAMICAL QG LIFT

GENERATED BY THE DIFFERENTIAL VORTICITY ADVECTION...AND SOME WARM

ADVECTION WILL BRING A BAND OF MOD-HVY SHOWERS TRANSITIONING TO

SNOW SHOWERS FROM SOUTHWEST TO NORTHEAST BTWN 11Z /6 AM/ TO 17Z

/NOONTIME/ ACROSS THE FCST AREA. WE KEPT THE POPS AT CATEGORICAL

VALUES DURING THIS TIME FRAME. WE ALSO ENDED THE MIXED PCPN AND

WENT TO A RAIN TO SNOW PTYPE. LOW AND MID LEVEL HEIGHTS WILL BE

CRASHING WITH THE STRONG UPPER LEVEL LOW. THE LEFT FRONT QUADRANT

OF A 100+ KT H500 JET STREAK WILL BE MOVING ACROSS ERN NY AND WRN

NEW ENGLAND TOWARDS NOONTIME. WITH THE STEEPENING LOW AND MID

LEVEL LAPSE...A LINE OR TWO OF SNOW SQUALLS MAY MOVE ACROSS THE

REGION. WE ARE EXPECTING SOME LAKE MOISTURE TO BE TAPPED AND

OROGRAPHIC ENHANCEMENT OFF THE WRN DACKS. WE KEPT THE ADVISORY

GOING FOR 4 TO 8 INCHES OF SNOW FOR NRN HERKIMER...HAMILTON AND

NRN WARREN COUNTIES. WE ALSO BELIEVE SOME THE SQUALLS COULD

PRODUCE 3 TO 6 INCHES OF SNOW IN SRN HERKIMER COUNTY. WE START A

NEW ADVISORY THERE AT 6 AM. IT IS LIKELY SPECIAL WEATHER

STATEMENTS MAY BE NEEDED WITH ANY SQUALLS FOR NEAR WHITEOUT CONDITIONS

AND BLOWING SNOW. A QUICK INCH OR TWO COULD FALL IN SOME SPOTS

WE CAN/T RULE OUT A RUMBLE OF THUNDER WITH THE STRONG DYNAMICS TO

THE SYSTEM. WE HAVE NOT INCLUDED THUNDER IN THE GRIDS JUST. EXPECT

MAX TEMPS TO BE IN THE LATE MORNING...WITH TEMPS FALLING INTO THE

20S DURING THE AFTERNOON WITH HIGHS EARLY ON IN THE M30S TO L40S.

WE WILL ALSO MONITOR FOR A FLASHFREEZE POSSIBILITY IN SOME LOCATIONS

FRIDAY NIGHT...THE SYNOPTIC SNOWFALL TRANSITIONS TO LAKE EFFECT

WITH A W/NW TRAJECTORY...AS A SECONDARY COLD OR ARCTIC FRONT MOVES

THROUGH THE REGION. THE CHANCE OF SNOW SHOWERS AND FLURRIES

CONTINUES. WE KEPT THE WINTER WEATHER ADVISORIES UP TO 00Z FOR THE

SRN DACKS AND WRN MOHAWK VALLEY. THE INVERSION DOES LOWER QUICKLY WITH

THE FRONTAL PASSAGE. H850 TEMPS TUMBLE TO -10C TO -15C. IT WILL

CONTINUE TO BE WINDY AS THE CYCLONE BECOMES STACKED OVER THE GULF

OF ST LAWRENCE /970 HPA CNTRL PRESSURE/. LOWS WILL BE IN THE TEENS

OVER MOST OF THE FCST AREA...EXCEPT FOR SINGLE DIGITS OVER THE

ADIRONDACK PARK...AND L20S IN THE MID HUDSON VALLEY.

Final call...BUF 4-8" and ROC 4-8"

should be an interesting battle about who wins out...ROC gets slightly better synoptic dynamics but BUF gets some lake-enhancement.

Those calls are spot on IMO....I think the ski towns will double that, and near and inland from Watertown (N. Tug) may triple those ranges by Sat. afternoon.

I just shovelled 4 inches of concrete. Today we had a mix of sleet and snow....but now it's snowing HEAVILY. Blizzard like out there with strong winds and blinding snow. Just came back from a jebwalk..... It's nice out :)

You guys in Ottawa look to get a great hit from a pretty unusual storm track! Good luck...we need your snowpack up there for cold source regions!!

You guys in Ottawa look to get a great hit from a pretty unusual storm track! Good luck...we need your snowpack up there for cold source regions!!

What a year for me to move back to Toronto from Ottawa! Winters here are naturally milder than Ottawa's but this year is really making it seem all that warmer. It's ridiculous here in the Big Smoke at the moment. Bare ground mostly, apart from a brief period of moderate wet snow this morning.

I still have quite high hopes for this event, its just a strange gut feeling. Between a rapidly deepening surface low directly over WNY, strong upper level support, warmer than normal lakes, and ample synoptic moisture....something has got to give. It almost reminds me of the great 99 snowstorm that pummeled Rochester. I need to dig up the maps from that storm system. Probably the greatest overachiever of my lifetime.

I've got a good feeling about the ROC in this one.

I'm soo glad you said that. I too found myself remembering that storm track and the similarities for tomorrows storm. I don't remember well, but I'm pretty sure WSWarnings were already up for about 4-8 or so of snow, vs: this ones 3-5. we'll see. the track is similar. I think we ended up with a north wind in 99 AND OF COURSE 2 feet of snow and a BLIZZARD warning upgrade in the am. LOVED it. maybe my #2 storm after the Super.

Archived