Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Synoptic event Jan 11-13... upstate NY

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But when surface winds are 240 are 850's cold enough for a lake response?

yes...there's low-level instability right with then the synoptic snows start early Friday morning. You won't see big instability numbers during lake-enhancement events. Adding 100-200 j/kg from the lake in the low levels could be the difference between moderate snow and heavy snow or light snow and moderate snow.

yes...there's low-level instability right with then the synoptic snows start early Friday morning. You won't see big instability numbers during lake-enhancement events. Adding 100-200 j/kg from the lake in the low levels could be the difference between moderate snow and heavy snow or light snow and moderate snow.

So your thinking 3-6" with lake enhancement or 3-6" with more possible if we can get some lake response?

our snows are going come from the SSW. That area over Tennessee is what becomes our snow "storm" tomorrow.

Oh, thats too bad because they seem to be overachieving out west. Chicago upgraded to a Winter Storm Warning with 4-8" expected, originally they were only forecasting 2-4"... Maybe this storm could be an overachiever here too. That'd be nice for a change. 4" would seem like 2 fricken feet this year...

You know it never changed to rain here. It redevloped as heavy wet icy snow. At times we get light and it goes to mostly sleet. Gained another inch to 5.5 total now despite compaction. 31.6F and a light mainly wet snow now.

lol was that forecasted? anyways congrats on the half foot haha..

I won't give you the pleasure of looking at a good looking women. But either way point proven.... (You would get less depressed watching all the snow in ski country if you actually skied/boarded/snowmobiled. If you did these things, no matter where the snow hits in WNY you will be happy, try it sometime its fun!) It gets rather annoying seeing you flip out on every weather forum if you don't get the max snow accumulations in Eggertsville, which averages far less snowfall then nearly everywhere south of your region.

Logan congratz on the snow! Thats why you cannot always rely on models, because they were showing rain in your area with this first system. You ended up getting Advisory snow accumulations with this system as well as the one to come tomorrow as well! :snowing:

you wont be seeing snow if i come down there lol :whistle:

yeh,best LES storm hands down!.

My favorite was 2001 but imagine if during the oct 06 event had temps 2 degrees colder, we would have had more instability and less melting we prob would have seen 40 inches in less than 24 hours. That was my number 2 storm and last years December 1st-3rd event was my third favorite.

Your signature is truly awesome but totally making my computer slow lol!

We ended up with about 3", but 10 min east at my shop in downtown Albany it looks like almost nothing stuck (I checked my security cameras online). I haven't had to pay my poor plow guy yet this year....poor him....good for me.

Good thing you didnt pay him seasonal!!! I know some plow drivers out this way who get payed 300-500 dollars for a season and havn't even had to plow once. They are making out like bandits! Record profits!

So 6-8 inches isn't out of the realm of possibility hmm...

I still have quite high hopes for this event, its just a strange gut feeling. Between a rapidly deepening surface low directly over WNY, strong upper level support, warmer than normal lakes, and ample synoptic moisture....something has got to give. It almost reminds me of the great 99 snowstorm that pummeled Rochester. I need to dig up the maps from that storm system. Probably the greatest overachiever of my lifetime.

I've got a good feeling about the ROC in this one.

This is the first year that we haven't had a seasonal contract. Our new guy only does per event. So far this year we're winning, but you never know what lies ahead.

Good thing you didnt pay him seasonal!!! I know some plow drivers out this way who get payed 300-500 dollars for a season and havn't even had to plow once. They are making out like bandits! Record profits!

I still have quite high hopes for this event, its just a strange gut feeling. Between a rapidly deepening surface low directly over WNY, strong upper level support, warmer than normal lakes, and ample synoptic moisture....something has got to give. It almost reminds me of the great 99 snowstorm that pummeled Rochester. I need to dig up the maps from that storm system. Probably the greatest overachiever of my lifetime.

I've got a good feeling about the ROC in this one.

was it this one?

http://www.meteo.psu.edu/~gadomski/NARR/1999/us0115.php

That wasnt the one, it was March 4-6 1999. Rochester received 22.3" on the 4th, then another 18.4 on the 6th. It was nuts.

And now that I've dug them up, they are not similar to the current event.... The first hit in 99 was from a classic Nor'Easter (I think it was a Miller B ) that ran up the Hudson on a nice inland track. Then the storm on the 6th is a clipper than undercut WNY and rocked us with a strong deformation zone enhanced by Lake Ontario.

That wasnt the one, it was March 4-6 1999. Rochester received 22.3" on the 4th, then another 18.4 on the 6th. It was nuts.

In some respect I think it looks more similar to the January 15th event than either march 4th or March 6th. March 4th was a monster 500mb low that cut way further south than the one for tomorrow. Well developed 700mb low develops over PA and moves into ENY. Pretty much a perfect storm for BUF and ROC.

In some respect I think it looks more similar to the January 15th event than either march 4th or March 6th. March 4th was a monster 500mb low that cut way further south than the one for tomorrow. Well developed 700mb low develops over PA and moves into ENY. Pretty much a perfect storm for BUF and ROC.

Yeah, you can see that my memory was pretty poor, I quickly realized I was wrong once I saw the setup. In my defense, that was a long time ago.

I was editing my last post when you posted this.

You are right though, the 15th system from 99 does look pretty similar to today's setup. It'll be fun to watch regardless of how much snow ends up IMBY

Archived