Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Synoptic event Jan 11-13... upstate NY

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still snowing hard and blowing here. Now down to 28.4 degrees....

Weird... guess your elevation at Knox might be helping temperature wise...

Meanwhile we are now back to a sleet/snow mix... so the changeover wasn't quite as smooth as originally suspected. It seems we are getting more sleet in the lulls and more snow in the heavier bands (like what we are witnessing right now.) In any event, it seems like after this next band, things lighten up quite a bit.

Weird... guess your elevation at Knox might be helping temperature wise...

Meanwhile we are now back to a sleet/snow mix... so the changeover wasn't quite as smooth as originally suspected. It seems we are getting more sleet in the lulls and more snow in the heavier bands (like what we are witnessing right now.) In any event, it seems like after this next band, things lighten up quite a bit.

Has stayed all snow in Westmere, currently moderate snow with about 3" on the ground.

28.8 now...moderate snow. Measured a shade over 4 inches. I can see we are down to about an hour and then a lull with whatever remaining stuff probably being of the mixed variety. We certainly made the most of this event!

Everything is relative in wx.... in a winter like this, it feels like we just had a blizzard. LOL Last year it would have been bleh....

What do you mean? 2-4 inches is a "Boom" in my opinion... Thats 33% of my total snowfall of the winter in one event...Either way ski country looks to receive 1+ foot of LES? So thats a "BOOM" for me since im a boarder and a snowmobiler, and your just a "look out the window mom, its snowing type of guy". :lmao:

Have not been able to snowmobile all year, need a good foot+ base in the trails in Eden/Boston hill area. Went skiing a few times already, but nothing beats a foot of fresh powder on the slopes of holiday! :snowing:

Haha your something else. Go back to posting pictures of your wife.

Haha your something else. Go back to posting pictures of your wife.

I won't give you the pleasure of looking at a good looking women. But either way point proven.... (You would get less depressed watching all the snow in ski country if you actually skied/boarded/snowmobiled. If you did these things, no matter where the snow hits in WNY you will be happy, try it sometime its fun!) It gets rather annoying seeing you flip out on every weather forum if you don't get the max snow accumulations in Eggertsville, which averages far less snowfall then nearly everywhere south of your region.

Logan congratz on the snow! Thats why you cannot always rely on models, because they were showing rain in your area with this first system. You ended up getting Advisory snow accumulations with this system as well as the one to come tomorrow as well! :snowing:

Did I just whine about snow in my driveway??? Just realized that. Feel free to ban me from AmericanWX. :poster_oops:

Wow! Stunned to wake up to about 5 inches of snow here! 32.0 :snowing:

Don't have time to snowblow - have to run off to a conference... I hope we don't get much rain later or else I'll have a driveway full of very heavy cement mix. :axe:

I won't give you the pleasure of looking at a good looking women. But either way point proven.... (You would get less depressed watching all the snow in ski country if you actually skied/boarded/snowmobiled. If you did these things, no matter where the snow hits in WNY you will be happy, try it sometime its fun!) It gets rather annoying seeing you flip out on every weather forum if you don't get the max snow accumulations in Eggertsville, which averages far less snowfall then nearly everywhere south of your region.

Logan congratz on the snow! Thats why you cannot always rely on models, because they were showing rain in your area with this first system. You ended up getting Advisory snow accumulations with this system as well as the one to come tomorrow as well! :snowing:

I'm not going to argue with you on the public forum and clutter it up any more then I (and you)) already have. PM if you want but I'm not posting anymore of this garbage on here.

I'm not going to argue with you on the public forum and clutter it up any more then I (and you)) already have. PM if you want but I'm not posting anymore of this garbage on here.

Agreed! At least we have something to look forward to tomorrow, I do not think there will be enough snow to snowmobile in...Not a year has gone by without going, yet this year it might happen. I agree with you in 2-4 inches for most of WNY, unless some embedded LES develops. This might occur and Mike pointed it out in his AM cast. If you think about the instability needed to generate LES at a disparity of 13C between the lake and aloft. Although the lake is 39 degrees recorded from the NWS at 30 feet, most of the lake is still around 40-43 degrees. This may create enough instability along with synoptic enhancement to get a good embended band going earlier then thought. (Just something to keep an eye on)

http://www.coastwatch.msu.edu/twoeries.html

Agreed! At least we have something to look forward to tomorrow, I do not think there will be enough snow to snowmobile in...Not a year has gone by without going, yet this year it might happen. I agree with you in 2-4 inches for most of WNY, unless some embedded LES develops. This might occur and Mike pointed it out in his AM cast. If you think about the instability needed to generate LES at a disparity of 13C between the lake and aloft. Although the lake is 39 degrees recorded from the NWS at 30 feet, most of the lake is still around 40-43 degrees. This may create enough instability along with synoptic enhancement to get a good embended band going earlier then thought. (Just something to keep an eye on)

http://www.coastwatc...u/twoeries.html

If it does it likley won't be untill the winds are out of the W or NW but it could set up briefly near the metro before it shifts south as winds veer. Prob 2-4" for metro total, 3-6" for Boston Hills, and prob 6-10" total for ski country..

2.5" here. I can't beleive it changed back to snow this morning. I'm in Voorheesville now (392') at it was snowing up until 10:00 am. Now it's lightened up and it's a mix of snow....wait....now it's back to snow. Isothermal soundings ftw. I guess mid level dewpoints up north were forecasted too high and the coastal was just strong enough to tap into the drier air and mid levels causing enough evap cooling? Yay!

Ice Storm Warning for Jefferson County especally near the 1000 islands. I used to stay up in Clayton,NY for vacation every year. It’s gorgeous up there. Hopefully it doesn’t do too much damage but a 1/2″ or more of ice with snow on top could do some damage for sure.

http://forecast.weather.gov/showsigwx.php?warnzone=NYZ007&warncounty=NYC045&firewxzone=NYZ007&local_place1=Watertown+NY&product1=Ice+Storm+Warning

I finished with about 4 and a quarter" in Rotterdam. About half that when I drove to Albany. Either way, I'll take it this winter. Very surprised to wake up to this.

3" (I think) in my driveway in Schenectady about what, 400' above sea level, 32.7 degrees (roughly) at 6am. Snowing big flakes. 6:30 am arriving at work in Albany, slush falling from the sky.

You know it never changed to rain here. It redevloped as heavy wet icy snow. At times we get light and it goes to mostly sleet. Gained another inch to 5.5 total now despite compaction. 31.6F and a light mainly wet snow now.

Still 34 with a sleety/slushy mix. First plow able snow of the season really...the 2 events in October didnt really accumulate on pavement. Also, the 2-hr delay gave me a chance to build a snow mountain/slide for the kids...perfect consistency for it.

You know it never changed to rain here. It redevloped as heavy wet icy snow. At times we get light and it goes to mostly sleet. Gained another inch to 5.5 total now despite compaction. 31.6F and a light mainly wet snow now.

You always seem to get pleasently surprised there. Your elevation must have a big part in that. Congrats to you!

Archived