Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Synoptic event Jan 11-13... upstate NY

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I measured 6.5" on the ground. Obviously some lost due to compression.

Where abouts do you live? To get an official measurement ( Sometimes not always possible) Your supposed to get a flat surface such as a snowboard and measure it every 6 hours, clear and repeat until the event is over. I was able to do that for the entire storm, because as you mentioned this snow compressed quite a bit. The NWS reported 8-9 inches which is less then areas reported just around because the NWS does it the proper method. Also back to snowing again, large flakes. Total of 13 inches for this storm so far and counting! :snowing:

muwahaaaaa...580 DM over us in late Jan. Break out the golf clubs...actually never put them away....L'pool was open till this winter nonsense came out of nowhere. 13-3/4" at 10 am and prob another inch today so far. not bad for a WWA event. ;). I might be at 20" for the season but haven't added it up yet.

Yeah....I forgot how to add up snow totals from different events....do 6 "T's" + 13.5" equal more than 13.5"?? ;)

BTW, I was SO tempted to hit the links on NYD.....it would have been my first Jan golfing experience in NYS....which would have only left Feb as my only non golfed month in NYS....but I might still have a chance by later in the month... :arrowhead:

Bet my 5 1/2 inches of concrete from Thursday outlasts the LES that fell. LOL .....as we get into the torch week....

Yeah....I forgot how to add up snow totals from different events....do 6 "T's" + 13.5" equal more than 13.5"?? ;)

BTW, I was SO tempted to hit the links on NYD.....it would have been my first Jan golfing experience in NYS....which would have only left Feb as my only non golfed month in NYS....but I might still have a chance by later in the month... :arrowhead:

Bet my 5 1/2 inches of concrete from Thursday outlasts the LES that fell. LOL .....as we get into the torch week....

Well, half of our total was of the semi-concrete variety....so we may have more staying power than you typically would perceive us to have! That said, us LES folks may "luck" into a few more inches next week, but I bet we all will be green again by the end of the month at some point. (Maybe not the Tug.....)

That LES band overnight had some nice inland reach to it. Unfortunately I slept through it, but it must have been a nice 30 minutes as that swept south through here. Almost 1.5" of the fluff fell.

14F and mostly clear now. Mmm 0F right now across northern NY. Looks like a cold night on tap.

Well, half of our total was of the semi-concrete variety....so we may have more staying power than you typically would perceive us to have! That said, us LES folks may "luck" into a few more inches next week, but I bet we all will be green again by the end of the month at some point. (Maybe not the Tug.....)

Despite almost no returns on radar, we have moderate snow here.

Storm total is 10".

Happens alot of times during the last stages of an LES event.....cap lowers, meanwhile llv moisture is still present (at condesation level) and there is just enough height into optimum snowgrowth region, which just happens to fall below the detection level of an NWS radar. Alot of times Montegue and Binghamton's radars show nada over CNY as cold (moist) arctic air moves in, and shows almost nothing....meanwhile Channel 9's radar (closer in proximity) is lit up....

I've always wondered why Perrysburg is such an LES magnet. It's not even at a high altitude compared to the Amish areas just south and the Chautauqua Ridge. You should move there, Devin.

It's probably in a favorable location...right along the maximum of where bands set-up. Areas further south get less snow even though they have higher elevation. Little Valley only average like 125" maybe a bit more because it's too far south and some of the band is snowed out before it gets there. Alleghany County sucks for snow even though they have plenty of elevations over 2000 ft.

I've always wondered why Perrysburg is such an LES magnet. It's not even at a high altitude compared to the Amish areas just south and the Chautauqua Ridge. You should move there, Devin.

nah when im done with college im off to the west. The east sucks. NYS and Erie county really suck with taxes. I love the Sierras. You either get dumped on with 10 feet of snow in a week or sunshine. It's great.

It's probably in a favorable location...right along the maximum of where bands set-up. Areas further south get less snow even though they have higher elevation. Little Valley only average like 125" maybe a bit more because it's too far south and some of the band is snowed out before it gets there. Alleghany County sucks for snow even though they have plenty of elevations over 2000 ft.

Imagine if Perrysburg had elevations like Allegeny county...Let's say 2500 feet. That'd be an extra 1000 feet than their current elevation and they would prob average 300" a year and they prob would have had 50" from this event instead of 34"

Perrysburg is in the perfect place as OSU stated for the increase elevation (Being on the Chat. ridge). Along with being in the perfect place for nearly all wind directions besides SW. They can get hit with W/WNW/NW wind directions. Albeit W/WNW is the preferred and dominant wind direction nearly all winter long around here. Combine that with proximity to the lake/elevation/orographic lift, you basically get the perfect spot for heavy snowfall in WNY.

Here is Devin in his new home following college, I wonder what hes going to do for work up there? :lol:

sierras.jpg

Perrysburg is in the perfect place as OSU stated for the increase elevation (Being on the Chat. ridge). Along with being in the perfect place for nearly all wind directions besides SW. They can get hit with W/WNW/NW wind directions. Albeit W/WNW is the preferred and dominant wind direction nearly all winter long around here. Combine that with proximity to the lake/elevation/orographic lift, you basically get the perfect spot for heavy snowfall in WNY.

Here is Devin in his new home following college, I wonder what hes going to do for work up there? :lol:

sierras.jpg

Hahaha! Lol

nah when im done with college im off to the west. The east sucks. NYS and Erie county really suck with taxes. I love the Sierras. You either get dumped on with 10 feet of snow in a week or sunshine. It's great.

I'm a transplant, left Buffalo for Scottsdale a couple years ago. Didn't want to, but WNY is a dying area, sadly. You definitely wouldn't want to live in the desert, though. :)

Archived