• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
Synoptic event Jan 11-13... upstate NY

Richard, you should be excited about that TROWAL it's intensifying as it gets closer to shore especially near you area.You should see some heavy heavy rates , likely the heaviest of the entire event, with some blizzard conditions. You should land up near 8" for the event. Me prob 6-7"

Going to have to research this TROWAL thing, never heard of it. So much to learn!

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like winds are beginning to veer to W then NW tonight. Kbufshould come in around 6 inches I believe. Still consider this an overachiever for Niagara Frontier where most forecast were 2-4 inches for the whole storm. The winds caused whiteouts for nearly the whole morning. Definitely the best storm of the year for me.

If that verifies, we'll finally get over 10 inches for the season. I was hung up on that number for some reason - felt so far away sitting at 5 inches for so long. Hopefully the next 10 inches aren't so painful to get to....

Going to have to research this TROWAL thing, never heard of it. So much to learn!

TROWAL stands for trough of warm air aloft. It's part of the warm conveyor belt that get advected rear-ward behind the surface low. It enhances instability above it and snowfall rates in a well-developed storm system. This system is disjointed and complex so it's not doing exactly what it could be doing. The surface trough that is hanging back from the surface low is the result of lowering surface pressures by warm air above it. That's why the temp is going up, too. We're getting weak 850 and 925 WAA.

It has to be snowing at 1-2" an hour right now. Just fricken incredable. The snow coming down this hard with the wind is something I havn't seen in a few years. Prob since the JAN 08 event..

Weren't you in West Seneca in the Dec 1st-3rd event last year? We had 24 hours+ of thunder snow, I totaled 28 inches where I lived at the time.

Heaviest snow so far in this storm has just begun! Hoping to get to 10 inches with this band if it stays over me for 2-3 more hours! =)

Complete whiteout here now. Heavy snow and very strong winds. Just took a walk through downtown and my face is still hurting :) Great stuff!

Weren't you in West Seneca in the Dec 1st-3rd event last year? We had 24 hours+ of thunder snow, I totaled 28 inches where I lived at the time.

Wasn't there untill after the event as I couldn't get there. My girlfriend landed up with over 30 or 35" if I remember correctly. It was awesome...

29 degrees here now with heavy snow still coming down. Gotta leave for work now. See yall round 730!

This is a Winter Storm Warning event for sure. 40+ mph winds for 12+ hours. Temperatures in the teens. Heavy snow for hours along with winds. Total accumulations if this band stalls for 2 more hours will be around 10 inches with 1-2 foot drifts. Won't complain about an over producer though. Remember I had a good feeling about this one a few days ago. =P

you can see the winds are doing a disservice to accumulation...the winds pulverize the flakes to make them smaller...small flakes do not stack up well on the ground like large dendrites do.

I was getting small flakes for most of the day. The last hour has been the most intense snowfall rates with huge snowflake size.

This is a Winter Storm Warning event for sure. 40+ mph winds for 12+ hours. Temperatures in the teens. Heavy snow for hours along with winds. Total accumulations if this band stalls for 2 more hours will be around 10 inches with 1-2 foot drifts. Won't complain about an over producer though. Remember I had a good feeling about this one a few days ago. =P

tough call..but yeah BUF should have upgraded this morning...when they were getting blizzard conditions at the airport. Accumulations might be just short in some places...but the combination of strong winds, whiteouts, and wind chills made this much more than a nusance event...very hazardous out there. The wet ground last night made it worse too...very icy underneath the snow.

8 inches and still snowing hard. Come on LES band stay there for the night even though I know you wont! =P

Complete whiteout right now! Sorry this is to exciting I need to chill haha! Expected 2-4 now over 8 inches with heavy snow.

Guess the LES Warning really did include the Buffalo Southtowns. EA/Boston/Hamburg all getting hit hard right now.

8 inches and still snowing hard. Come on LES band stay there for the night even though I know you wont! =P

Complete whiteout right now! Sorry this is to exciting I need to chill haha! Expected 2-4 now over 8 inches with heavy snow.

Guess the LES Warning really did include the Buffalo Southtowns. EA/Boston/Hamburg all getting hit hard right now.

nice,final total is 5.3 here.

Dunkirk is and has been getting drilled all night so far. I bet well see several spotter reports close to 18" there by morning.

http://maps.nittec.o...s/CCTV_6058.jpg

Im thinking Perrysburg will be the winner with close to 2 feet total. We were under a 1-2 inch per hour band from 3-7 was a beautiful thing! Hoping to get over a foot by the time this next little band drops south across the area with the front that will change the winds to the NW.

I was expecting 2-4 inches, to double my seasonal snowfall in one event was an amazing surprise for sure. Holiday Valley already reporting 12+ inches.

www.holidayvalley.com/HolidayValley/mediagallery.aspx?tab=webCam

I've never seen anything like this before...really localized warning:

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BINGHAMTON NY

644 PM EST FRI JAN 13 2012

NYZ016-017-025-044-141200-

/O.UPG.KBGM.WW.Y.0002.000000T0000Z-120114T0000Z/

/O.EXA.KBGM.WS.W.0001.000000T0000Z-120114T1200Z/

SENECA-SOUTHERN CAYUGA-TOMPKINS-CORTLAND-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...SENECA FALLS...AUBURN...ITHACA...

CORTLAND

644 PM EST FRI JAN 13 2012

...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT UNTIL 7 AM EST SATURDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BINGHAMTON HAS ISSUED A WINTER

STORM WARNING FOR HEAVY SNOW...ALONG WITH BLOWING AND DRIFTING

SNOW... WHICH IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 7 AM EST SATURDAY. THE WINTER

WEATHER ADVISORY IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT.

* LOCATIONS...NORTHERN TOMPKINS... SOUTHERN CAYUGA... SOUTHERN

SENACA... AND CORTLAND COUNTIES.

* HAZARDS...SNOW... ALONG WITH BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW.

* ACCUMULATIONS...STORM TOTAL ACCUMULATIONS TODAY THROUGH TONIGHT

OF 6 TO 10 INCHES OF SNOW.

* TIMING...CONTINUING INTO THE EARLY MORNING HOURS.

Archived