• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Thursday's storm ...Rain, wind, snow and ice?

OKpowdah

Sort of a couple of things arguing for different numbers. You have a relatively cold high trying to battle back the warmth..even up to 850mb to a point, but you have 800mb trying to torch as you move north. Probably a nice snow gradient between Will and Socks. I just don't like that warm layer. Would think someone near Dave or Socks could get some good IP.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That seems like a good number. Dave is a bit of a wild card.

Looking at hourly soundings on bufkit, it suggests there could be an extended period of freezing rain between 12z and 17z here...but we'll have to see if it ends up more sleet. Of course, I'll hope it ends up more snow...we'll need that vortmax to trend back SE a bit...at least it did on the 18z nam.

Looking at hourly soundings on bufkit, it suggests there could be an extended period of freezing rain between 12z and 17z here...but we'll have to see if it ends up more sleet. Of course, I'll hope it ends up more snow...we'll need that vortmax to trend back SE a bit...at least it did on the 18z nam.

Looks wintry either way. Thinking IP or ZR could be the bigger show there, but hopefully that vortmax can go se. Preliminary guess for you is 1.7" but I feel like it's 0.5-1C away from doubling that. Gonna be close.

Looks wintry either way. Thinking IP or ZR could be the bigger show there, but hopefully that vortmax can go se. Preliminary guess for you is 1.7" but I feel like it's 0.5-1C away from doubling that. Gonna be close.

A couple inches crusted over by IP/ZR is a win for this winter, lol.

I wonder if BOX issues a watch for the combined snow and ice threat. Otherwise neither one alone meets criteria

http://kamala.cod.edu/ma/latest.wwus41.KBOX.html

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...CHARLEMONT...GREENFIELD...ORANGE...

BARRE...FITCHBURG...FRAMINGHAM...LOWELL...CHESTERFIELD...

BLANDFORD...MILFORD...WORCESTER...AYER

435 PM EST TUE JAN 10 2012

...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM LATE WEDNESDAY NIGHT THROUGH

THURSDAY EVENING...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN TAUNTON HAS ISSUED A WINTER STORM

WATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM LATE WEDNESDAY NIGHT THROUGH

THURSDAY EVENING.

* LOCATIONS...INTERIOR NORTHERN MASSACHUSETTS AS WELL AS THE EAST

SLOPES OF THE BERKSHIRES.

* HAZARD TYPES...SNOW AND ICE.

* ACCUMULATIONS...SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 2 TO 4 INCHES...ALONG

WITH AROUND A TRACE OF ICE.

* TIMING...LATE WEDNESDAY NIGHT INTO THURSDAY

* IMPACTS...DIFFICULT TRAVEL COULD DEVELOP FOR THE MORNING COMMUTE

DUE TO SLIPPERY UNTREATED SURFACES AND LOW VISIBILITY.

* WINDS...NORTHEAST 5 TO 15 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 25 MPH.

* VISIBILITIES...ONE QUARTER MILE OR LESS AT TIMES.

I figure best case scenario for here is a quick change from snow to ip to rain with a chance for all rain still possible. However considering that this was initially a cutter that was supposed to torch ski country, I consider it a win even though it will probably be mostly a fail imby.

Feeling better about my ski trip in a couple weeks!

http://kamala.cod.ed...wus41.KBOX.html

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...CHARLEMONT...GREENFIELD...ORANGE...

BARRE...FITCHBURG...FRAMINGHAM...LOWELL...CHESTERFIELD...

BLANDFORD...MILFORD...WORCESTER...AYER

435 PM EST TUE JAN 10 2012

...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM LATE WEDNESDAY NIGHT THROUGH

THURSDAY EVENING...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN TAUNTON HAS ISSUED A WINTER STORM

WATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM LATE WEDNESDAY NIGHT THROUGH

THURSDAY EVENING.

* LOCATIONS...INTERIOR NORTHERN MASSACHUSETTS AS WELL AS THE EAST

SLOPES OF THE BERKSHIRES.

* HAZARD TYPES...SNOW AND ICE.

* ACCUMULATIONS...SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 2 TO 4 INCHES...ALONG

WITH AROUND A TRACE OF ICE.

* TIMING...LATE WEDNESDAY NIGHT INTO THURSDAY

* IMPACTS...DIFFICULT TRAVEL COULD DEVELOP FOR THE MORNING COMMUTE

DUE TO SLIPPERY UNTREATED SURFACES AND LOW VISIBILITY.

* WINDS...NORTHEAST 5 TO 15 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 25 MPH.

* VISIBILITIES...ONE QUARTER MILE OR LESS AT TIMES.

Since when is that worth a winter storm watch???

I’m probably going to regret getting involved again … but, … but I have not yet read their internal discussion, so I don’t know what their forecast philosophy is with this Watch.

I could just step back and look at that polar high parked up N, and figure that we could easily get a 4-6” front end 2/hr thump before going over to cold rain and valley ice in the interior… but that’s me.

Also, the 18z NAMs 500mb series has the vort max actually traveling under LI again…which is colder mid level solution. May be warmer below, but that 500mb could maybe possibly signal 00z’s run being colder over all – sometimes it does that.

Point being, there is enough uncertainty that a watch can easily go to an advisory or warning with less criticism .

Man, I hate being on the coast this time of year. Nothing worse than seeing a WSW that covers virtually the entire forecast area, with the exception of a small ribbon comprised of the eastern half of the coastal counties. The ultimate tease. I guess I'll just be thankful that I'm in the game for any frozen at this point, given the fact that this was a soaking cutter just a couple days ago.

18z GFS looks a bit better than 12z...esp near Ray...holding that cold wedge in there pretty decently. The vortmax is southeast of the 12z run. Its not a huge change, but every little bit will help when its this marginal.

will, did you see that convective snow wall on the 18z NAM that comes in with the arctic fropa ? That would have 40mph wind gusts in 1/4 mi < vis snow squalls!

18z GFS looks a bit better than 12z...esp near Ray...holding that cold wedge in there pretty decently. The vortmax is southeast of the 12z run. Its not a huge change, but every little bit will help when its this marginal.

Looks like a toaster bath here...we receive about .25"-.3" QPF as snow before the 0C isotherm at 850mb surges to Canada at 54 hours. Gets very warm eventually.

It looked like he picked up 2" or so on the GFS.

Lol, I just looked at the GFS sounding here for 12z Thu and it has zero CAD in the lower levels. Its actually still cold enough aloft for snow, but it torches 900mb and lower. Typical GFS. I think I said yesterday at some point we'd see the GFS show 40F and rain in the same locations other guidance has 29F and IP/ZR or SN.

Lol, I just looked at the GFS sounding here for 12z Thu and it has zero CAD in the lower levels. Its actually still cold enough aloft for snow, but it torches 900mb and lower. Typical GFS. I think I said yesterday at some point we'd see the GFS show 40F and rain in the same locations other guidance has 29F and IP/ZR or SN.

I see the same for BED at 09z. It's like 36-37 for BED. I doubt that.

Archived