Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 12-14 Potential storm

dilly84

It's over 120 hours out

You're absolutely right.

The point is I wouldn't hold my breath on anything significant happening with the second southern wave, if for no other reason then seasonal trends. There was also simply nothing redeeming about this particular run just looking at 500mb. It would be the worst possible way for this whole event to play out in fact (if it were to play out this way).

All of that said, I'm really just venting a little frustration. The GFS is actually sort of out there right about now all things considered.

• Replies 975
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You're absolutely right.

The point is I wouldn't hold my breath on anything significant happening with the second southern wave, if for no other reason then seasonal trends. There was also simply nothing redeeming about this particular run just looking at 500mb. It would be the worst possible way for this whole event to play out in fact (if it were to play out this way).

All of that said, I'm really just venting a little frustration. The GFS is actually sort of out there right about now all things considered.

I am forced to agree. The MJO has begun backing towards that sh!tty phase 5 AGAIN. No surprise the pattern change/storm threat is turning into crap/being delayed. We go back to phase 4-5 and all can forget about a pattern change. The models and everything/everyone else has blown that call and so no idea on what will happen with that. EVERYONE of them had it making it to phase 7 at one point and then just took it into the circle of death but none backed it up towards phase 5 which has begun and as we are seing our storm threat is going down the drain and the pattern change is once again being delayed. I don't care who ( Met or otherwise ) says what about the MJO because the proof is right in front of us as to what is happening as a result of it. YES it could swing back the other way ( not my argument) but if it does i am 99.9% certain the pattern will change from this horrible crap we have now. Unsure if there is enough time to save our storm threat but i will say it better change back quick.

I am forced to agree. The MJO has begun backing towards that sh!tty phase 5 AGAIN. No surprise the pattern change/storm threat is turning into crap/being delayed. We go back to phase 4-5 and all can forget about a pattern change. The models and everything/everyone else has blown that call and so no idea on what will happen with that. EVERYONE of them had it making it to phase 7 at one point and then just took it into the circle of death but none backed it up towards phase 5 which has begun and as we are seing our storm threat is going down the drain and the pattern change is once again being delayed. I don't care who ( Met or otherwise ) says what about the MJO because the proof is right in front of us as to what is happening as a result of it. YES it could swing back the other way ( not my argument) but if it does i am 99.9% certain the pattern will change from this horrible crap we have now. Unsure if there is enough time to save our storm threat but i will say it better change back quick.

I am not sure where you get it being in phase 5:

http://www.cpc.ncep....e_21m_small.gif

This says it is weak phase 6 and weak phase 7 is possible.

Pretty big swing on the 12z GFS. Still not great but if it were to continue...

IMO, it was very similar to the 06z run (which was admittedly a big change from the 00z run) The phasing scenario is now more likely with the cutoff energy left out over the east Pacific, which is what the Euro has been doing. Obviously, the timing and extent of the phasing will be a problem, but I don't see anything inherently unrealistic or outrageous in the 12z run.

IMO, it was very similar to the 06z run (which was admittedly a big change from the 00z run) The phasing scenario is now more likely with the cutoff energy left out over the east Pacific, which is what the Euro has been doing.  Obviously, the timing and extent of the phasing will be a problem, but I don't see anything inherently unrealistic or outrageous in the 12z run.

I should've said compared to the 00z run. I didn't check the 06z run.

Ya really digging the trof further south

12z Euro also digging it farther south.  Looks like more emphasis on the east coast low though.

Edit: seeing some nice hangback with the 996 mb contour by 108 hours. Very elongated from the east coast westward into the northern Lakes.

Today's 12z models are unanimous in their support of the 06z GFS, leaving the cutoff energy over the Pacific which at least opens up the potential for a phase. The GFS is more of a middle ground between the less amplified Canadian and the most amplified 12z Euro. As for the phasing potential, the GFS is the most phased...Canadian the least.

We need a full phase, or less emphasis on the northern stream.

Otherwise, you'll get a repeat of December 27th...

IF what some of the models (like the latest GFS) are suggesting were to happen.

I would think we would want to continue seeing the trends we are seeing with the northern stream.

I don't know. The ECMWF wasn't that impressive. I still think bringing the next s/w onflow idea isn't that bad either. Both are thread the needle though. Really need a more amped northern stream with the consensus idea. It would absorb the stj. That is what JMA does(yeah, yeah boo lol).

It would be ideal if all of the energy just held together, but that isn't going to happen. The benefit of having the energy cutoff in the Pacific instead of much further east is that it still leaves the chance for a phase with the northern stream. That potential is more clear now that the models have stopped trying to cut the low off in the wrong place.

DVN basically says this will be another non-event for Iowa/western Illinois.

STRONG COLD FRONT WILL SWEEP ACROSS THE CWA ON WEDNESDAY

WITH COLDER TEMPERATURES AND STRENGTHENING NORTHWEST WINDS TO OVER

30 MPH. THERE MAY BE A FEW SNOW SHOWERS/FLURRIES BEHIND THE FRONT

WEDNESDAY NIGHT AND THURSDAY BUT MOISTURE IS LIMITED. ACCUMULATIONS

WILL BE MINOR IF ANY AND FOR NOW WILL CONTINUE WITH SLIGHT POPS.

NOTICED THE ECM HAS COME IN MUCH DRIER THAN PREVIOUS RUNS.

Archived