• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
January 12-14 Potential storm

dilly84

I spent the last 4 hours at a titty bar getting drunk. I suggest some of you do the same.

You mean to tell me that you put naked women and alcohol ahead of the 00Z GFS FOR CHRIST'S SAKE? Traitor. THE SYSTEM IS ALMOST ABOUT TO BE SAMPLED FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!

SAMPLED!!!

• Replies 975
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just looked at the Wundermap snow map for the 12z Euro, and something looks wrong with the way the snow is appearing to be drifting east away from WI/N IL at 78 hours, then snow blows up and expands west at the 81 hour mark. I'm not sure what is going on synoptically in that solution, but it seems unlikely unless it's an ULL that changes course.

FWIW the 12z GFS ensembles show much more support for some snow in the region than they did at 0z.

Meh. Realistically, those ensembles are just showing that pretty much anything >48 hrs is very uncertain and unreliable. There's a huge spread there.

The best we could realistically hope for is some quick hitting snow from the rather impressive DPVA progged with the main northern stream energy and the favorable placement of a jet streak at that time. There's some decent mid-level frontogenesis behind the main surface cold front. The main mitigating factors are a lack of forcing in the lower levels and moisture.

I could see that strong forcing overwhelming those negatives for a brief while to give a quick shot of decent snow rates and the models are even trying to print some light QPF to that effect. We had a similar situation in December where the models underestimated the QPF (in a post-front, strong DPVA setup), but don't go looking for big amounts. It would be a minor event at best.

Meh. Realistically, those ensembles are just showing that pretty much anything >48 hrs is very uncertain and unreliable. There's a huge spread there.

The best we could realistically hope for is some quick hitting snow from the rather impressive DPVA progged with the main northern stream energy and the favorable placement of a jet streak at that time. There's some decent mid-level frontogenesis behind the main surface cold front. The main mitigating factors are a lack of forcing in the lower levels and moisture.

I could see that strong forcing overwhelming those negatives for a brief while to give a quick shot of decent snow rates and the models are even trying to print some light QPF to that effect. We had a similar situation in December where the models underestimated the QPF (in a post-front, strong DPVA setup), but don't go looking for big amounts. It would be a minor event at best.

I think the ceiling for this one IMBY is around 3", which is hardly worth getting excited about in a normal year but big time this season.

LOT's thoughts from last night are similar and I the 12z runs have only reinforced this solution

STRATUS DECK SHOULD BE FIRMLY ENTRENCHED BY THURSDAY MORNING WITH

SMALL PERTURBATIONS LIKELY TO PIVOT AROUND THE POLAR VORTEX AND LEAD

TO FLURRIES AND PROBABLY SOME HEALTHY SNOW SHOWERS AT TIMES LATE

WEDNESDAY NIGHT INTO THURSDAY NIGHT. THERMAL PROFILES LOOK VERY

FAVORABLE FOR SNOW PRODUCTION...SO WITH STRATUS DECK TRAPPED BELOW

INVERSION IT WON`T TAKE MUCH EFFORT FOR SNOW AND WOULDNT BE

SURPRISING FOR SOME AREAS TO PICK UP AN INCH OR SO OF SNOW DURING

THIS TIME FRAME THOUGH ITS IMPOSSIBLE TO PIN DOWN TIMING/LOCATION

THIS FAR OUT.

I think the ceiling for this one IMBY is around 3", which is hardly worth getting excited about in a normal year but big time this season.

LOT's thoughts from last night are similar and I the 12z runs have only reinforced this solution

I believe Gino wrote the morning AFD.

Right now I'd be happy with a solid 1.5"

Could you more often please.

Lock this baby in :wub:

Some Lake moisture possible too according to LOT

FRONTAL BOUNDARY APPEARS TO ARRIVE AROUND DAYBREAK THUR...AS PHASING

OF THE TWO SYSTEMS BEGINS TO TAKE PLACE OVER SOUTHEAST

ONTARIO/SOUTHWEST QUEBEC. FOR A PERIOD OF TIME WINDS OVER NORTHEAST

IL/NORTHWEST IN COULD BE NORTHEASTERLY. THIS COULD EASILY FAVOR A

LAKE EFFECT SNOW BAND FOR A PERIOD OF TIME THUR...THEN WINDS BACK TO

THE NORTHWEST IN THE COLD POOL AND PUSHES ANY LAKE EFFECT CONCERNS

TO NORTHWEST IN AND SOUTHWEST LOWER MICHIGAN.

gfs_namer_072_1000_500_thick.gif

Archived