• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
SE Mid-Long Range Discussion II

strongwxnc

Color me totally unimpressed with the 18z.

Yep. After seeing that system poof when it neared OV, the rest was just "meh" kind of stuff on the frames. Gotta love how it wants to show a CAD-ish look right at the end of all times.

usaprmslmsl384m.gif

Of course, go figure that after the 18z is over, now Allan's site suddenly updates for me. Guess it was a caching issue.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You guys are dissing the 18Z when its showing this???? :D

post-987-0-01099300-1325637163.gif

This is a lot like the 12Z from the other day. Sure, it's a pipe dream, but at least we're starting to see some pipe dreams show up in the LR. If the H5 map were to verify like that, that is a MAJOR snowstorm for many....very cold air just to the north, big high pressure building in, split flow. :snowman:

You guys are dissing the 18Z when its showing this???? :D

post-987-0-01099300-1325637163.gif

This is a lot like the 12Z from the other day. Sure, it's a pipe dream, but at least we're starting to see some pipe dreams show up in the LR. If the H5 map were to verify like that, that is a MAJOR snowstorm for many....very cold air just to the north, big high pressure building in, split flow. :snowman:

right there with ya...van denton actually mentioned @ 6:00.

I've got plenty enough to go round..This winter is FAR from over and I really feel weve got good times ahead for the second half...time will tell but I think alot of people who post in this forum will be happy down the stretch

Anyone who cancels winter on the 3rd of January is a fool, so yeah, agreed. But ensemble members from a single run of a model that flip flops more than a fish out of water offers me about zero hope. I have yet to see a nice storm with SN in Raleigh be consistantly shown by 2+ models. This winter is definitely beyond frustrating at this point.

typical NC winter. Everything has to be perfect to wintry weather. Moisture chasing cold cold chasing moisture. Never seem to get a perfect setup. I do believe we will get wintry weather but don't know when. Hopefully this time next year we are buried in it. i hate cold air like we have now without moisture. Just miserable weather.

Anyone who cancels winter on the 3rd of January is a fool, so yeah, agreed. But ensemble members from a single run of a model that flip flops more than a fish out of water offers me about zero hope. I have yet to see a nice storm with SN in Raleigh be consistantly shown by 2+ models. This winter is definitely beyond frustrating at this point.

lol don't kill the messenger. I just had nothing better to do.

Patience, dear weenies. We will get into a good pattern soon enough.

Last night everyone was optimistic now there is some sadness? What's dramatically changed?

Agreed. I think folks watching models 4 times a day will get their brains and hopes crushed. Best to view the big picture. We just had an extremely close call with a deep, cold core cutoff that could have made a whopper of a Southeast or east coast snowstorm. ECMWF a week to 10 days ago showed this, but in the end, was too progressive. Thats a bias to keep in mind. We're probably entering the last legs of the long lived +AO regime. Some guidance says so, but more importantly , the past says so. They don't last forever, just like last years strong -NAO pattern didnt' last through Winter. The best could be yet to come. This could be one of many Winters that had a warm Nov/Dec and that turned into quite a good late January and February pattern. I still say of all the years I've ever followed weather, which is 42 year LOL, this particular year has about some of the most potential for the Southeast I can remember. In Nino's, we fight warm advection and storm tracks. In traditional ninas, we are usually dry (many areas not really applicable now). Never any guarantees but if blocking occurs, we're probably in for it. If double blocking occurs, which some of my thinking says they're hints of, that really ups the chance of a memorable season. Only time will tell though. I doubt the models will get anything modeled correctly in this chaotic flow for a while though.

PSD Ensemble continues with the idea of a major ridge developing west of Alaska, connecting to ridging on the other side of the pole, with a neutral NAO developing. Keeps the SE near normal in the extended. Coldest air decends into all of western Canada and Alaska. Definite pattern change from the staunchly positive AO, but may take a while to get consistent cold down into the conus. Map below is at hr360, but the ridging west of Alaska begins as early as hr216

psd1.gif

Any at or above average temps in NC will have to wait until weekend at earliest. The mean temp will be below average Friday and th high temp will struggle in only +2 to +3 850's if their isn't enough sun or a slight NE breeze. We will see how long are warmup in NC is gonna last here on the GFS in a minute.

Edit: Oops looks like Friday will be +5-+6 in NC. So Friday will begin the mini warmup. 30 hours later Saturday p.m. 850's are back to 0 in mtns and +1 to +2 in western half of NC.

Days 8-10...massive trough coming into the Eastern US...Pacific ridge with a closed off high in California. That to me is a good setup for another cold air dump late next week.

A little like what we have now, although a bit warmer. It warms back up quickly though.

Archived