joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
SE Mid-Long Range Discussion II

strongwxnc

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a classic, bowling bowl cutoff, and its taking an exquisite track across the Gulf states...really painful with no cold air. But no big loss, this is the scenario I envision later on with cold air. Actually it's not that warm with this one, just a stale old airmass, probably +4 to +8. It heads across Al to central Carolinas, not quite absorbed with the incoming trough. Good rain maker.

I'll take this for now. Anytime I can get some energy in/near the gulf, in Jan., I'll take my chances with the cold air. Get enough chances for timing, and you'll eventually get a hit :)

Meanwhile, it's been a week since rain fell, and probably Sat. before the next chance. This bothers me more than lack of cold air. You expect cold air in Jan. Finding rain is getting pretty hard, despite what model runs may show...and come Sat. the chance isn't too exciting. So it might be the following Thur. for good rains with the cutoff..so tack on another week +. T

You're probably right Clubber Lang. Euro just told the GFS it needs to get with a real weather model while flexing it's muscle.

I'm glad someone got the Rocky reference, we have to crack a joke or two to stay sane with the horrible winter to date. In all seriousness, I just don't see the cold air being around to produce snow in the SE with the next ULL/storm. The Euro already showed us that for the most part, no reason to believe all the sudden the storm will be laden with cold air.

Canadian brings the wave out of Texas and across the Gulf Coast, but it's weak. Sfc low in NE gulf, but also weak, with very light precip in southern half of GA...but it is a little colder than the GFS at this timeframe.

UKMet keeps wanting to hold the energy back toward New Mexico.

Not impossible for this to work out, but it's going to be very difficult to get the northern and southern piece to work in tandem for storm and cold air (what's new). I prefer the colder look on the Canadian though, and take my chances with the storm.

Here it is at 168, notice the trough near the Gulf of Alaska

Hour 288 has ridging building in the Pacific. Notice the trough is gone over the Gulf of Alaska

At 300 it's even more pronounced.

gfs_namer_300_500_vort_ht_s.gif

Here's what I see in that last image there:

Unfavorable:

SWs diving into the southwest. Check.

SE ridge about to pop. Check.

Big vortex way up in Central Canada. Check.

+NAO. Check. (Edit, there is some ridging into Greenland, but it looks to be transient, consistent with the season so far.)

Pacific ridge too far West. Check.

Favorable:

AK vortex gone. Check.

Still mid January. Check.

Until that big Canadian vortex can drop farther to the SE or until we can get a steep +PNA or until we can get a more neutral/-NAO, we're pretty much hosed.

Here's what I see in that last image there:

Unfavorable:

SWs diving into the southwest. Check.

SE ridge about to pop. Check.

Big vortex way up in Central Canada. Check.

+NAO. Check.

Pacific ridge too far West. Check.

Favorable:

AK vortex gone. Check.

Still mid January. Check.

Until that big Canadian vortex can drop farther to the SE or until we can get a steep +PNA or until we can get a more neutral/-NAO, we're pretty much hosed.

Agreed, we need the AO/NAO on our side (central NC/SC and mid-atlantic), until that happens, it's just pipe dreams, we would literally have to time everything perfectly, which is almost impossible. I went back and looked at some events that we (central NC) had in the past during "bad" winter patterns, and all of them had the NAO going negative, at least slightly, for the event, I couldn't find one event with a +NAO.

Agreed, we need the AO/NAO on our side (central NC/SC and mid-atlantic), until that happens, it's just pipe dreams, we would literally have to time everything perfectly, which is almost impossible. I went back and looked at some events that we (central NC) had in the past during "bad" winter patterns, and all of them had the NAO going negative, at least slightly, for the event, I couldn't find one event with a +NAO.

Yep. And maybe the GFS is totally out to lunch at that time frame. It usually is, especially if it shows cold and snow. The 240 map looks cold, but it doesn't last through the end of the run. At some point, you have to figure we'll lock into a cold pattern, if only for a week or two.

at 96 hours, the s/w is healthy in the northwest, just ahead of it is the lead wave with some cold entering the plains.

A warm up and showers in Tenn. Valley to Gulf coast.

By 102 and 108 a very deep vortex in southwest Alaska helps pump a stout west Canada ridge, which sends the northwest wave digging into the Great Basin ( which is even further west than before)

at 114, the cold front is punching through lower Ohio Valley into Tenn., meanwhile the western wave has split off, tucked away in southern Nevada.

It's even further SW, going to be an interesting run, I don't think it will even make it to the east coast by the end of the run.

my opinion this run drove the sw system too far west and cutoff way too far west, based on looking at the western Canada ridge at the time. But anythings possible. As others said, the models are prone to huge shifts lately...probably because the flow always wants to split in n. Rockies

Archived