• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Your weather bucket list

Ginx snewx

Dave I think you are thinking of 1995. 2006 happened from srn orh county into se mass iirc.

Yeah, for the July 2006 one I was working at my old company (I worked for them during the summer for a few years after leaving to teach).

I forget where we were... Oxford or something?

The 1995 event I was living in Gardner and we have a great 40 mile view to the west. Got to see some cool stuff from there.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, for the July 2006 one I was working at my old company (I worked for them during the summer for a few years after leaving to teach).

I forget where we were... Oxford or something?

The 1995 event I was living in Gardner and we have a great 40 mile view to the west. Got to see some cool stuff from there.

I think Oxford to Brockton got nailed. I know a stretch of trees and power poles were ripped down not to far from my old house in Brockton.

my bucket list..i posted it in tiny print before so I am sure no one could read it

True Blizzard....still waiting here in the lower CT Valley...too young for 78

30 inch snowdepth...last winter..check

2 foot plus snowstorm on the level without fancy measuring...still waiting

Blizzard encompasing whole eastern seaboard like feb 1899....still waiting.

Tornado....2 miles( 2 tenths) from the F3 last 6/1...had I not been chicken and hiding in the basement with my two dogs while it was dark as the middle of the night out there I would have easily had an awesome view of it..but close enough imo so check. Saw awesome mammatus clouds about an hour and a half before for a rotating supercell to the north of spfd so that was very cool.

snowfall rates of four to six inches/hr not including windex events that only last a few minutes...still waiting..best I have seen is around three inch/hr and almost never for the whole hour.

Snowstorm of a lifetime...Check Oct 2011 but it was not the 1888 or 1899esque snowevent I had envisioned but certainly wont happen again in my lifetime lol

Microburst..Check..June 2007 right as we were pulling into the slip in Pt. Judith..pretty scary!!

Large Hail...have only seen pea sized..even with all those supercells last 6/1 there was no big hail at my house even as close as we were to the tornado..so stil waiting.

Another winter like 95-96 with less melting in between events...more like 1717...but I have had lived through a 100 plus inch winter so I guess I should not be too greedy lol

Nice I was in Bills surf with flippers with some 20s I let glide under me but did ride some near 15'S, brutalized. I am surprised how many people have not experienced Tsnow. The one advantage of living near the coast is the wind and the tendency for convective snow.Jerry Wxfella the slate is clear every day but it would be nice if you listed the most intense of the categories, you being elder statesman and world traveler should be an exceptional list.

Snow: 11/10/85 in June Lake, CA.....7500 ft up in the Sierras. 30 inches in about 8 hours.

Hurricane: many but Hazel takes the cake with the tops of railroad wire poles blowing down the street a mile from the tracks!

Thunder: Probably training storms at Belmar,NJ during the summer of 1968.

Winter season: 1960-61. Statistically beaten by many more recently but my memory is that has been the most severe of my life. Throw in the JFK election and you have the context of an interesting and special time.

Earthquakes: Whittier of October 1987 along with another on the same fault in mid June 1991 right before I left LA 2 weeks later. I was in my house in my undies and was growing convinced the place would topple. It took 15 years in SNE before I stopped being freaked out on bridges and over and underpasses here.

Heat. Late June 1990. 112 in Los Angeles. About 110 imby. But I'm discounting the numerous 115-120 while in the desert. I used to force my family to go with me on the spur of the moment to feel it.

Those are just a few highlights...there is plenty more but typing on the pad gets old.

Snow: 11/10/85 in June Lake, CA.....7500 ft up in the Sierras. 30 inches in about 8 hours.

Hurricane: many but Hazel takes the cake with the tops of railroad wire poles blowing down the street a mile from the tracks!

Thunder: Probably training storms at Belmar,NJ during the summer of 1968.

Winter season: 1960-61. Statistically beaten by many more recently but my memory is that has been the most severe of my life. Throw in the JFK election and you have the context of an interesting and special time.

Earthquakes: Whittier of October 1987 along with another on the same fault in mid June 1991 right before I left LA 2 weeks later. I was in my house in my undies and was growing convinced the place would topple. It took 15 years in SNE before I stopped being freaked out on bridges and over and underpasses here.

Heat. Late June 1990. 112 in Los Angeles. About 110 imby. But I'm discounting the numerous 115-120 while in the desert. I used to force my family to go with me on the spur of the moment to feel it.

Those are just a few highlights...there is plenty more but typing on the pad gets old.

Nice compilation. Was Hazel over 100MPH? In Maine in Feb 01 at 2000 feet I experienced 11 inches in one hour that was insane. Oh on the IPAD stuff, get the photobucket free app, upload your pics to post them here on your pad. Use the img tag then paste it here. AG3 taught me that today.

my bucket list..i posted it in tiny print before so I am sure no one could read it

True Blizzard....still waiting here in the lower CT Valley...too young for 78

30 inch snowdepth...last winter..check

2 foot plus snowstorm on the level without fancy measuring...still waiting

Blizzard encompasing whole eastern seaboard like feb 1899....still waiting.

Tornado....2 miles( 2 tenths) from the F3 last 6/1...had I not been chicken and hiding in the basement with my two dogs while it was dark as the middle of the night out there I would have easily had an awesome view of it..but close enough imo so check. Saw awesome mammatus clouds about an hour and a half before for a rotating supercell to the north of spfd so that was very cool.

snowfall rates of four to six inches/hr not including windex events that only last a few minutes...still waiting..best I have seen is around three inch/hr and almost never for the whole hour.

Snowstorm of a lifetime...Check Oct 2011 but it was not the 1888 or 1899esque snowevent I had envisioned but certainly wont happen again in my lifetime lol

Microburst..Check..June 2007 right as we were pulling into the slip in Pt. Judith..pretty scary!!

Large Hail...have only seen pea sized..even with all those supercells last 6/1 there was no big hail at my house even as close as we were to the tornado..so stil waiting.

Another winter like 95-96 with less melting in between events...more like 1717...but I have had lived through a 100 plus inch winter so I guess I should not be too greedy lol

Nice, your two footer will come!

Only people like us remember TSSN. I'm sure all people around here had it sooner or later. I've seen it countless times.

I had only seen it once prior to Dec 1996...but it seems we've had a lot more of it recently. I think I've seen it 3 times in the past 4 winters.

Holy Toledo Batman!!!!! What is a foot of snow in an hour like??? zero vis without any wind i bet!

Feb 2001 Newry Maine, no wind just a blanket of dendrites that swallowed the air, not fluff either solid 12-1 stuff. I measured at least 15 times in different spots that I knew were clear I couldnot believe it. I wrote about it on NE.weather, still have the post.

• 1 year later...

I feel lucky.  Some highlights

Eye of Major Hurricane: Charley, Port Charlotte FL

Other Tropical: Gloria, Bob (Mass), Gabrielle, Francis, Jeanne, Wilma (FL)

Blizzards: Many 3'+, South Lake Tahoe, CA, 3' Wildcat NH 1995?

Thundersnow/sleet: Superstorm 1993, Marblehead MA

Multiple Funnels: Urbana IL, Marblehead MA, Port Charlotte FL

Close lightning Strike: Bow NH (tree in backyard)

Water Spout: San Pedro, BZ

Severe Ice: 2008, Bow NH

Inland wind: 2010, Bow NH

Massive Waves: Perfect Storm 1991

The Blizzard Of April 1982.

The Blizzard Of 1983, heavy snow with vivid thunder/lightning.

123F in Death Valley, August 1983.

Hurricane Gloria with the eye passing over my parents house.

Extreme cold, -47F at Sugarloaf, Maine December 1989

The Superstorm of 1993

The great snow winter of 1995-1995 while living in NYC

The snowstorm of January 1996 with 25" of snow at my parents house in Bayside, Queens.

The Ice Storm of 1998

A one day temperature range of 85F, from 28F to 113F - Mammoth Mtn - Death Valley CA June 2006.

The October snow of 2011

I've been on snow skiing or have seen it snow every month of the year in the Northern Hemisphere.

I'd like to experience another cane, wilma was about as powerful as i've ever witnessed mother nature, and i'd like to see some 25 foot swells ala perfect storm in palm beach county,fl (nice vid on youtube "surfing huge waves from perfect storm jim sitton" ) seeing the april fools wet snow bomb in SE mass at sea level was most anomalous weather event i've witnessed.

I'd like to chase a LES event with mulitple feet of snow forecast and get a hotel near ground zero for the event.

Archived