Newest Member
    Toothache
Your weather bucket list

Ginx snewx

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anybody on here witness the '38 hurricane?  :oldman:

Only from old movies/pics.  I was around for NYC's 26" storm in Dec, 1947, but not yet tall enough to see over that much snow.

April 1982 is the strongest, blizzardiest storm I've seen, even though it ranks about 20th for total snowfall.  Winds gusting to 60 and 17" falling atop a 30" snowpack with temps low-mid teens. P{retty much paralyzed even the well-prepared snowmovers of northern Maine.  Biggest snowfall came 2 yr later, 26.5" on 3/14-15/84, but with only moderate wind.

1998 ice storm (Gardiner, Maine) was the most life-altering wx event (in the sense of destroying the routine) of my experience, and its predecessor in NNJ exactly 45 yr before probably ranks #2.  The '98 storm had ice 1.75" IMBY, 2.5"+ on the state lot in Hebron, NW of LEW.  The '53 ice storm had ice 1-1.5".

Tropical wx:  Top event probably Hazel (NNJ), with Bob (Gardiner - biggest rain event with 6.4")) and Doria (NNJ) close behind.  Connie/Diane had little wind but lots of water.  Same for Belle, which blew out about half the woods-road water crossings in the Allagash-St.John country.

Hail:  Saw 1" hailstones in Farmington, early Oughts, but missed the Rome/New Sharon treekiller of 8/30/07 by 6-8 miles.

Lightning:  Had a bolt hit a utility pole full of transformers as we campers were scrambling past the next pole up the road, perhaps 50 yd away.  A huge crash, followed by 3-4 flash-bangs as the transformers blew up, then absolute darkness, the kind when all the lights within a few miles go dark.  Loudest noise then was from a dozen or so screaming 9-11 yr olds running for their cabins.

Tornado:  I'm satisfied with 2nd-hand viewing, thank you.

Heat:  102/103 twice, 7/3/66 in NNJ (and I was cooking burgers and dogs at Curtiss-Wright's company lake resort; probably 140+ behind the counter.  We couldn't even brown the rolls - they went straight to black.)  The Hot Saturday, 8/2/75.  BGR102, BHB 101 at water's edge.  Not the best day to go picking blueberries, but also the 1st time I felt comfortably warm swimming at the Maine coast.

Cold:  Coldest days I've experieced were two at -42, in Jan, 1979 and Dec, 1980.  The -47 we recorded a week after the 1979 -42 came while I was staying at our company building on the PQ borner in NW Maine.  Only -40 there.  However, for windchill, 1/17-18/82 and Christmas 1980 top the charts.  The former touched -101 on the old WCI (probably about -70 on the current index;  -34 with winds 35), and the Christmas howler wasn't far off that, with -23 and winds 40+.  The 1962 gales in NNJ came with temps near zero (5/-8 for the day) but gusts near 70 and it's being in NNJ made it feel plenty chilly.

Other wind events include the 1950 Apps gale and the powerful northwest winds behind the Bangor blizzard of New Year's Eve, 1962. 

New item added. I want to see all rivers and the near shoreline frozen and snow OTG until April.

the winter of 1740-41 staged an early arrival, with October "as cold as ordinarily November is," wrote Bolton, Connecticut, town clerk John Bissell, and a substantial snowfall in mid-November. Two solid weeks of rain in early December resulted in the worst floods on the Connecticut River in half a century, damaging "bridges, fences, hay" and ruining "the Indian corn chambers, cribs . . ." 

"Extreme cold" followed, then late December brought "a prodigious storm of snow out of the north and north west, which was full knee deep, attended in said storm with violent cold weather," continued Bissell. "Travelling was almost wholly suspended by reason of the extreme cold and deep snow, and God had sealed up the hand of every man. We had a very sensible consideration of . . . Who can stand before His cold?" Ludlum reports that by January "Drifting snow soon brought an end to regular travel by highway over New England and the Middle Colonies, and the continuance of penetrating cold soon closed all the rivers and inland waterways with solid ice. Many salt water bays and channels, seldom before frozen, congealed solidly, and even the ocean shore along southern and eastern New England became ringed with an unusual icy surface." 

Boston Harbor became an expanse of ice so thick that sleighs carried worshipers across it from Dorchester to Sabbath services every week from December 25 until April 1. One man made a 200-mile trip by sleigh over the ice from Cape Cod to New York City. The extreme cold was not confined to the Northeast; that year the York River in Virginia froze hard enough to cross. 

A January thaw was followed by bouts of more "violent cold" and repeated snowfalls through early March. "The weather continued cold and the snow wasted but slowly, so that there was considerable quantity of snow the middle of April," wrote Bissell. The Connecticut River was still frozen solid enough to be crossed on foot on the first of April. On April 10 snow still lay two and a half feet deep on the ground on the Massachusetts-New Hampshire border. 

New item added. I want to see all rivers and the near shoreline frozen and snow OTG until April.

the winter of 1740-41 staged an early arrival, with October "as cold as ordinarily November is," wrote Bolton, Connecticut, town clerk John Bissell, and a substantial snowfall in mid-November. Two solid weeks of rain in early December resulted in the worst floods on the Connecticut River in half a century, damaging "bridges, fences, hay" and ruining "the Indian corn chambers, cribs . . ."

"Extreme cold" followed, then late December brought "a prodigious storm of snow out of the north and north west, which was full knee deep, attended in said storm with violent cold weather," continued Bissell. "Travelling was almost wholly suspended by reason of the extreme cold and deep snow, and God had sealed up the hand of every man. We had a very sensible consideration of . . . Who can stand before His cold?" Ludlum reports that by January "Drifting snow soon brought an end to regular travel by highway over New England and the Middle Colonies, and the continuance of penetrating cold soon closed all the rivers and inland waterways with solid ice. Many salt water bays and channels, seldom before frozen, congealed solidly, and even the ocean shore along southern and eastern New England became ringed with an unusual icy surface."

Boston Harbor became an expanse of ice so thick that sleighs carried worshipers across it from Dorchester to Sabbath services every week from December 25 until April 1. One man made a 200-mile trip by sleigh over the ice from Cape Cod to New York City. The extreme cold was not confined to the Northeast; that year the York River in Virginia froze hard enough to cross.

A January thaw was followed by bouts of more "violent cold" and repeated snowfalls through early March. "The weather continued cold and the snow wasted but slowly, so that there was considerable quantity of snow the middle of April," wrote Bissell. The Connecticut River was still frozen solid enough to be crossed on foot on the first of April. On April 10 snow still lay two and a half feet deep on the ground on the Massachusetts-New Hampshire border.

Whoa! I think the CC to NYC trip was a bit of an exaggeration :)

Incidentally regarding thudersnow....

In the late 1950s, we routinely experienced it during those big wound up late march wet snow bombs.

I remember my late mother telling me how there was thundersnow when her mother was being buried, which was on March 14, 1958, in Brooklyn.

My list:

Accomplished:

• Seeing the Long Island Expressway with not a vehicle on it: Blizzard of 1978
  • Viewing F3/4 tornado damage while it was >100F out: Great Barrington MA 1995 (a few weeks after it hit; high outside temp registered by thermometer in my dad's Caddy was 104 in Danbury CT)
  • Having my eyeball fluid freeze to my eyelids: Quebec City 1992 (-27F IIRC)
  • Hurricanes: barely or maybe not quite - Gloria, at the state capitol in Augusta ME; and I heard Sandy make the beams squeak behind the walls on the third floor of a 70-story building where I was working in midtown Manhattan (though it caused no damage in that area, quite unlike a few miles south)
  • >70 mph wind: Almost certainly on Feb. 25, 2010, as I fetched the shutter that had been blown off my house, about 5 miles inland near Newburyport MA. MIOSN had S77 G90 and the local newspaper reported several independent amateur observations on Plum Island of gusts >90.
  • Earthquake: Concord NH, Nov. 25, 1988 - 5.9 centered in Saguenay, Quebec; largest quake in eastern North America in 53 years. Shook a bottle of wine (souvenir of a recent California trip, ironically) off the top of my refrigerator to the floor but thankfully did not break it.
  • Historic Mississippi River flooding: As a reporter I spent two weeks in Iowa, Nebraska and Missouri in 1993, including an evening at KDMX during a severe outbreak
  •  Interviewed Dr. Ted Fujita (by telephone) on the subject of microbursts, 1995, on the 20th anniversary of the Eastern Air Lines crash at JFK

To do:

• See a tornado, though I've literally had nightmares of seeing a tornado
  • Ski deeper powder than I've ever skied; my deepest probably is Bolton Valley, March 8, 2011, around 30". This shot was just before perhaps my best ski run in my life thus far - Bolton Outlaw, on Wilderness Peak, reachable that day only by skinning up

boltonoutlaw.JPG

A tornado is one of the few weather things I have not experienced yet. I've been a couple of miles away from two storms, one that dropped a tornado about 5 miles east of my location and the second one spawned a funnel cloud about 10 miles east.

Last summer was honestly the first year I did some legitimate storm chasing and actually had the knowledge and equipment to know what I was doing, but I didn't get many good opportunities. This upcoming spring and summer, I want to storm chase more, but it will be difficult with work. Since I am expected to work during times of severe weather, I'll probably have to pick a day (likely on a weekend) when I can drive a few hours west and chase.

Boy I love this historical stuff. Someone asked a while back about accounts of people crossing LI sound to CT. Quite the account here about the 1779-1780 winter, famous of course for Washington crossings.

http://books.google.com/books?id=oBDPAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA434&lpg=PA434&dq=1740+new+england+weather+diary&source=bl&ots=1YDmN4X2Q4&sig=5aF8q-Ef_U2qtxbWUs2aSJaz9fQ&hl=en&sa=X&ei=cB3uULyLAYXW0gGhw4CoDg&ved=0CEgQ6AEwBjgK#v=onepage&q=1740%20new%20england%20weather%20diary&f=false

I remember my late mother telling me how there was thundersnow when her mother was being buried, which was on March 14, 1958, in Brooklyn.

My list:

Accomplished:

• Seeing the Long Island Expressway with not a vehicle on it: Blizzard of 1978
  • Viewing F3/4 tornado damage while it was >100F out: Great Barrington MA 1995 (a few weeks after it hit; high outside temp registered by thermometer in my dad's Caddy was 104 in Danbury CT)
  • Having my eyeball fluid freeze to my eyelids: Quebec City 1992 (-27F IIRC)
  • Hurricanes: barely or maybe not quite - Gloria, at the state capitol in Augusta ME; and I heard Sandy make the beams squeak behind the walls on the third floor of a 70-story building where I was working in midtown Manhattan (though it caused no damage in that area, quite unlike a few miles south)
  • >70 mph wind: Almost certainly on Feb. 25, 2010, as I fetched the shutter that had been blown off my house, about 5 miles inland near Newburyport MA. MIOSN had S77 G90 and the local newspaper reported several independent amateur observations on Plum Island of gusts >90.
  • Earthquake: Concord NH, Nov. 25, 1988 - 5.9 centered in Saguenay, Quebec; largest quake in eastern North America in 53 years. Shook a bottle of wine (souvenir of a recent California trip, ironically) off the top of my refrigerator to the floor but thankfully did not break it.
  • Historic Mississippi River flooding: As a reporter I spent two weeks in Iowa, Nebraska and Missouri in 1993, including an evening at KDMX during a severe outbreak
  • Interviewed Dr. Ted Fujita (by telephone) on the subject of microbursts, 1995, on the 20th anniversary of the Eastern Air Lines crash at JFK
To do:
  • See a tornado, though I've literally had nightmares of seeing a tornado
  • Ski deeper powder than I've ever skied; my deepest probably is Bolton Valley, March 8, 2011, around 30". This shot was just before perhaps my best ski run in my life thus far - Bolton Outlaw, on Wilderness Peak, reachable that day only by skinning up
boltonoutlaw.JPG
that's a great list especially the pow pow pic

Wow Sultan, if that happened today there would be skiing till August.

My personal list,

The number 1 thing I always wanted to witness was hurricane force sustained winds, while I didn't quite get that with Sandy the roar of the wind and the way my windows bent inward at impossible angles appeased that.

I've seen thunder snow a few times, most recently with the boxing day blizzard.

I've never seen a tornado but I live about a mile of where the 2008 tornado hit in Brooklyn and I went to survey the damage that night. Incredible stuff :D

I was in Israel when a 5.3 magnitude earthquake hit as well as the one that hit DC on 2011.

The only thing on my bucket list I'm completely unfamiliar with is really large hail. I saw quarter size hail this summer in NYC and it was impressive, I can't even fathom what golf ball sized hail would look like.

Somehow this was deleted,

THE summer of 1740 was cool and wet. An early frost injured much of the corn crop, and the long season of rain which followed hindered its ripening. One-third of it was cut when green, and the rest was so wet that it very soon molded. There was, therefore, very little seed cor in New England for the next spring's planting, and the amount of dry corn for the winter's consumption was also small. The rain of the summer and fall flooded the lowlands of the country everywhere.

The rivers of Salem, Mass., were frozen over as early as October, and November 4th the weather became very cold. In that year the thirteenth of November was observed as Thanksgiving day. It was then severely cold, and all that day snow fell, continuing until the fifteenth, when in Essex County, Mass., it measured a foot in depth.

The weather remained cold until about the twenty-second, when its rigor relaxed, and a thaw, accompanied by rain, came on. The rain continued to fall for nearly three weeks, during the day only, the stars shining brightly each evening, but the morning following, rain would be falling again as energetically as ever. The snow melted, and a freshet occurred in the Merrimac river, nothing like it having been experienced there for seventy years. At Haverhill, the stream rose fifteen feet, and many houses were floated off. In that part of Newbury, which was afterwards incorporated as West Newbury, was a piece of lowland at Turkey hill, known as Rawson's meadow, which was covered with water to the depth of twelve feet. In another part of Newbury between the mill and the residence of a Mr. Emery, a sloop could have sailed. The freshet carried away great quantities of wood, which was piled along the banks of the river, and from the shipyards located in that part of Newbury now included in the city Newburyport considerable timber that was lying ready to be formed into vessels was also floated down the harbor, much of both wood and timber being lost. To save as much of it as possible, the dwellers on the shores of the river turned out, and for fourteen days worked from the banks and in boats, securing large piles which were scattered for miles on both sides of the river and the harbor. It was estimated that two thousand cords of wood were also saved at Plum Island.

The freshet was also very disastrous at Falmouth. On the twenty-first of the month the Rev. Thomas Smith of that town says, in his diary, that he rode to Saco, where he lodged with his father. He was there forced out of his lodgings "by vast quantities of ice, which jambed and raised the water eighteen inches higher" than his bedstead.

Plum Island river was frozen over on December twelfth, and remained so until the end of March. The Merrimac river was also closed by the extreme cold, which continued so severe that the ice very soon became thick enough to support teams, and before the end of the month the river became a great thoroughfare. Loaded sleds drawn by two, three or four yoke of oxen came from the towns up the river, and landed below the upper long wharf near where the ferry was then located in Newbury. From twenty to forty such teams passed down the river daily from Amesbury and Haverhill, and people travelled down the harbor as far as half-tide rock. On February 28, for the purpose of ascertaining the thickness of the ice in the Merrimac, Wells Chase cut a hole through it at Deer Island where the current ran swiftest and found it to measure thirty inches, although people had constantly sledded over it for two months. No one then living had ever heard of the river freezing so hard before.

As far south as New York, the harbors were so frozen that vessels could not come into them, and those already in were, compelled to remain until a thaw should come to their release. The sea was also very much frozen, and people travelled out long distances. In Boston harbor, a beaten road through the snow was kept open on the ice as far out as Castle William. Over this course horses and sleighs, and people on foot continually passed up and down, and on the way two tents for the sale of refreshments stood invitingly open. Loads of hay on sleds were drawn nearly straight from Spectacle Island to the town.

The ice formed so solidly around some mills that they could not be operated, as at Byfield parish in Newbury, where Pearson's mill was stopped from February 3 to March 31, and the people of Newbury had to go to Salisbury to get their meagre grists of corn ground.

The reign of cold seemed to be broken on January 10, when the weather moderated and a thaw began; but it continued only three days, and the low temperature was resumed.

Not only was the winter severe in temperature, but great snows came until, in the estimation of the people then living, taking it as a whole, it was the most rigorous season that had been experienced here since the first settlement. There were twenty-seven snow storms in all,most of them of good size. February 3, nearly a foot of snow fell, and about a week later there were two more storms, which filled the roads in Newbury, Mass., and vicinity to the tops of the fences, and in some places the snow lay to the depth of from eight to ten feet.On April 4, the fences were still covered, and three days later another foot of snow fell. In the woods it was then four feet deep on the level; and there were drifts on the islands off Dorchester, Mass., not quite melted on May 3, The snow remained so long that the spring was very backward; and when the ground was ready for planting, the farmers were almost discouraged, thinking of the failure of the corn crop the year before.

The more extreme weather events I have witnessed:

-When I was a young kid, seeing a car get struck by lightning at close range. I remember seeing what appeared to be a big ball of light around the car.

-Back in Woodstock in the early 2000's I recorded a temperature of about -10F. Trees could be heard cracking and popping. I remember going outside without shoes or socks for maybe 30 seconds and didn't fully regain feeling for over an hour. Not the smartest idea! That might have been the same winter where I observed snow at below zero temperatures. It was only like -1F, but still, not too shabby.

-Blizzard of 2006. I was a freshman working in the Weather Center on campus and I remember waking up early to go into work. There were already white-out conditions first thing in the morning and I measured something like 2-3 hours of snowfall rates averaging over 3"/hr. I think I measured just under 21" for a storm total, although many area totals were closer to 24-28". I've always been a conservative measurer(word?)  but anyway, the forecast for that storm was something like 6-12 inches up until crazy banding set up.

-Winter of 2010-11, enough said. 

-Autumn nor'easter of 2011. Probably just seeing the damage afterwards was the most intense.

-Severe thunderstorm in Sharon, Conn. this past summer. I really got lucky with finding a good spot on a hill with a clear view to the west. Storm came in, strong, gusty winds. Lots of tree damage around and wind gusts were probably near 50 MPH.

-I had a storm chase journey across four states later in the summer. Didn't exactly get a severe thunderstorm, but intercepted flash flooding cells multiple times and then did capture a strong thunderstorm with damaging wind gusts in the southern Poconos. Almost got stuck in the middle of nowhere as a result. There were tons of car accidents all around, especially on I-80. I was live Tweeting and actually got contacted by the Pocono Record for storm updates. That was random...still not sure how they found my Tweets.

-Had a similar chase journey that was 700 miles (crazy for the Northeast). Saw one severe thunderstorm from a distance, but was stuck on a highway with no exits, so we lost it. It was dropping golf-ball sized hail. At least we did get some good photos of the storm from a distance and then a rainbow that popped up around the same time. I had just gotten RadarScope at the time and it came in handy right away.

-Sandy was particularly intense, even though I was mostly inside forecasting/updating the entire time. I got out for a short time down on the water at New Haven during the peak winds. I still estimate wind gusts close to 75 MPH, which lines up with area observations. Salt from the water was pelting me in my face. My car about 500 feet away was coated in salt. I jumped up in the air and the wind literally pulled me. A large flagpole was bending in the wind, it was gone the next day. Street signs and stop lights were flying around like toys. The roads were eerily quiet.

Honorable mentions:

-April Fool's Storm of 1997. First weather system that I closely tracked and remember with clarity. (for some reason I don't have vivid memories of 1993 or 1996) Lived in northeastern Connecticut and I think our area got about 14 inches or so. The biggest deal was watching heavy rain change over to a ridiculously heavy, wet snow. The sign at Dairy Queen said "Happy norEaster" and I remember the power going out when me and my grandfather were at Burger King, lol.
-Tropical Storm Floyd. Not so much for the storm itself, but more so tracking it and getting hyped up. The flooding was pretty intense though.

-Tropical Storm Irene. Again, flooding was the bigger story, as I drove into the decaying center near the NY/CT border and the winds were wimpy. There was a lot of tree damage though across the southwestern portion of Connecticut though.

-Autumn nor'easter part 2 (2012). Forecast was slushy inch or two, at best. New Haven ended up with over 7 inches, but some just a few towns inland had about a foot. Folks were not happy! The storm started "ripping" in the afternoon, making for a treacherous evening commute. One colleague said it was his worst forecast in over 15 years.

The more extreme weather events I have witnessed:

-When I was a young kid, seeing a car get struck by lightning at close range. I remember seeing what appeared to be a big ball of light around the car.

-Back in Woodstock in the early 2000's I recorded a temperature of about -10F. Trees could be heard cracking and popping. I remember going outside without shoes or socks for maybe 30 seconds and didn't fully regain feeling for over an hour. Not the smartest idea! That might have been the same winter where I observed snow at below zero temperatures. It was only like -1F, but still, not too shabby.

-Blizzard of 2006. I was a freshman working in the Weather Center on campus and I remember waking up early to go into work. There were already white-out conditions first thing in the morning and I measured something like 2-3 hours of snowfall rates averaging over 3"/hr. I think I measured just under 21" for a storm total, although many area totals were closer to 24-28". I've always been a conservative measurer(word?) but anyway, the forecast for that storm was something like 6-12 inches up until crazy banding set up.

-Winter of 2010-11, enough said.

-Autumn nor'easter of 2011. Probably just seeing the damage afterwards was the most intense.

-Severe thunderstorm in Sharon, Conn. this past summer. I really got lucky with finding a good spot on a hill with a clear view to the west. Storm came in, strong, gusty winds. Lots of tree damage around and wind gusts were probably near 50 MPH.

-I had a storm chase journey across four states later in the summer. Didn't exactly get a severe thunderstorm, but intercepted flash flooding cells multiple times and then did capture a strong thunderstorm with damaging wind gusts in the southern Poconos. Almost got stuck in the middle of nowhere as a result. There were tons of car accidents all around, especially on I-80. I was live Tweeting and actually got contacted by the Pocono Record for storm updates. That was random...still not sure how they found my Tweets.

-Had a similar chase journey that was 700 miles (crazy for the Northeast). Saw one severe thunderstorm from a distance, but was stuck on a highway with no exits, so we lost it. It was dropping golf-ball sized hail. At least we did get some good photos of the storm from a distance and then a rainbow that popped up around the same time. I had just gotten RadarScope at the time and it came in handy right away.

-Sandy was particularly intense, even though I was mostly inside forecasting/updating the entire time. I got out for a short time down on the water at New Haven during the peak winds. I still estimate wind gusts close to 75 MPH, which lines up with area observations. Salt from the water was pelting me in my face. My car about 500 feet away was coated in salt. I jumped up in the air and the wind literally pulled me. A large flagpole was bending in the wind, it was gone the next day. Street signs and stop lights were flying around like toys. The roads were eerily quiet.

Honorable mentions:

-April Fool's Storm of 1997. First weather system that I closely tracked and remember with clarity. (for some reason I don't have vivid memories of 1993 or 1996) Lived in northeastern Connecticut and I think our area got about 14 inches or so. The biggest deal was watching heavy rain change over to a ridiculously heavy, wet snow. The sign at Dairy Queen said "Happy norEaster" and I remember the power going out when me and my grandfather were at Burger King, lol.

-Tropical Storm Floyd. Not so much for the storm itself, but more so tracking it and getting hyped up. The flooding was pretty intense though.

-Tropical Storm Irene. Again, flooding was the bigger story, as I drove into the decaying center near the NY/CT border and the winds were wimpy. There was a lot of tree damage though across the southwestern portion of Connecticut though.

-Autumn nor'easter part 2 (2012). Forecast was slushy inch or two, at best. New Haven ended up with over 7 inches, but some just a few towns inland had about a foot. Folks were not happy! The storm started "ripping" in the afternoon, making for a treacherous evening commute. One colleague said it was his worst forecast in over 15 years.

Disappointed no mention of the Bus ride from hell, lol

Someone who remembers! lol

Nothing like an inch or two of snow during the morning bus ride to freak out one major snow-weenie.

I also remember talking you off the ledge more than once, you have done good kid. Congrats and hope you continue to advance. Watching you, Eddie, Ryan, now Jake and Sammy become professionals makes this place special.

I also remember talking you off the ledge more than once, you have done good kid. Congrats and hope you continue to advance. Watching you, Eddie, Ryan, now Jake and Sammy become professionals makes this place special.

Thanks.

I've really learned a lot from the boards on many levels. I actually brought discussions to class that started online (whether it be with computer models or meteorology in general) and it stimulated conversation.

On an OT note, I've also learned a lot about personal interactions as well.  :whistle:

I'd like to add the blizz of 93 to my list. I only got about 11 inches of snow in raynham before a pouring drenching rain, then a flash freeze. It was most memorable bc my neighbor asked me to shovel his driveway and I waited till morn after the flash freeze. Dis as tah. Never have I had to use a pitchfork to loosen up snow, besides that day. And it took about 6 hrs of damn hard work to get thru about 4-5 inches of solid damn ice pack. It was the most brutal removal of "snow" I can imagine. And the jerk off gave me like 15 bucks.on a related note his house was "egg'd" shortly there after

Having my eyeball fluid freeze to my eyelids: Quebec City 1992 (-27F IIRC)
■Hurricanes: barely or maybe not quite - Gloria, at the state capitol in Augusta ME; and I heard Sandy make the beams squeak behind the walls on the third floor of a 70-story building where I was working in midtown Manhattan (though it caused no damage in that area, quite unlike a few miles south)

The eyeball freezer is what I've called a "walk-backwards day" and implies both wind and cold. The wind ensures that one's eyes water then helps the cold freeze them shut at first blink. Turning one's back allows a thaw, though it inhibits one's navigational skills a bit. We'd have days like that every 2-3 yr in Ft.Kent.

I don't think AUG reached 70 mph in Gloria, but some places 20 miles east of there had tree damage consistent with gusts 80+. I was commuting weekly between Ft.Kent and AUG then, and was happy that Gov. Brennan closed the state offices at noon that Friday, allowing me to run north ahead of the storm. In N.Maine it was a run-of-the-mill fall event, 1"+ rain (more than AUG, where it was a remarkably "dry" TC) and moderate wind.

I don't think AUG reached 70 mph in Gloria, but some places 20 miles east of there had tree damage consistent with gusts 80+. I was commuting weekly between Ft.Kent and AUG then, and was happy that Gov. Brennan closed the state offices at noon that Friday, allowing me to run north ahead of the storm. In N.Maine it was a run-of-the-mill fall event, 1"+ rain (more than AUG, where it was a remarkably "dry" TC) and moderate wind.

At the time NHC said Gloria remained Cat 1 as it crossed from NH into ME but this reanalysis downgraded it to TS status in ME.

I was a reporter working in the ME statehouse during Gloria, the only reporter in the pressroom that day. Power went out and then I heard glass breaking. I went to investigate and saw that an outside window of a legislative hearing room had blown in, and in turn the large glass pane on the inside door to that room blew into the hallway. That detail made it onto the national AP wire - link.

At another point I went to the governor's office and his press secretary and a couple other aides had me come the window - "That big tree looks like it's going to topple onto that car." Me: "Oh sh!t, that's my car!" 1975 VW Super Beetle, which I just barely was able to get started and moved to a safer spot. I presume it had something to do with the low pressure but the car wouldn't go more than maybe 5 or 10 mph at that point. It's like the engine was turning over in very slow motion.

Sultan, that 1740-41 account is great.

Not only was the winter severe in temperature, but great snows came until, in the estimation of the people then living, taking it as a whole, it was the most rigorous season that had been experienced here since the first settlement. There were twenty-seven snow storms in all,most of them of good size. February 3, nearly a foot of snow fell, and about a week later there were two more storms, which filled the roads in Newbury, Mass., and vicinity to the tops of the fences, and in some places the snow lay to the depth of from eight to ten feet.On April 4, the fences were still covered, and three days later another foot of snow fell. In the woods it was then four feet deep on the level; and there were drifts on the islands off Dorchester, Mass., not quite melted on May 3,

In early 2011 the woods I skied in this area retained a solid 2' snowpack for a good while, reaching 3' after a final dumping. Not too shabby even by comparison to 1741. And even after it finally melted out, on 4/2 we got enough for me to do this 5 min. from home:

20110402bigred04.jpg

Meanwhile, one other thing on my life wx list is riding a Coast Guard icebreaker in the mid-Hudson in 2/94. IIRC the high that day was -4F. 

Archived