Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Nov 27 - Nov 30 Storm obs

NavarreDon

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:thumbsup: its not as heavy now, but it was really coming down hard for a few minutes. first official frozen precip imby this year - lets hope we get more :snowman: looks like there might be one more batch about to move through

well thats a good sign for tomorrows event when the next slug of moisture comes your way, with much colder air than you have currently. I'm still mostly going for rain in the Upstate toward my area since the cold air fades some and what moisture we get comes in the mid afternoon, but if it arrives very early , or much later we have a better chance. Keep an eye on the radar tomorrow.

Looks like the colder air at 850 is coming into Ne Ga right now.

post-38-0-15940900-1322529204.gif

WOW!! I'm only at .36. Erwin, Tn is at .28 and Unicoi, Tn is at .39. What a difference a few miles make. I knew I was out of this event before it started. I've seen it to many times with rain coming from the south/southwest.

Oh well, maybe some flurries tomorrow !!:snowman:

Big time downsloping going on here today. It was 64 this AM while it was 39 in Memphis. What a gradient! Many times here, when SLPs spin those bands over the mountains the rain will literally stop at the top. It's a pretty interesting phenomenon here and we can get it from the Cumberland Plateau as well. It's similar to a rain shadow. It has been damp, but barely raining in Kingsport today. Raining now though. Downsloping is a royal pain in the a$$ when winterstorms spin bands over the mountains. It can cut snow totals by 75% here. Not only does it cut qpf, the compressing of the air warms up the temp like a chinook. Most weather models will catch this now which is pretty cool.

Definitely cooler out here compared to how it felt a couple of hours ago along with slightly stronger wind gusts here. Down to 52 with more moderate/heavy rain. It's been a nice day to just stay inside and watch this thing evolve. Good stuff and enjoying every moment tracking it.

temp dropping here now on sw winds. Heavy rain, just passed the 1" mark. Radar looks good for another .75" , which is about what I'm going for total wise. (1.75")

just heard something weird and went out to check - SLEET!

edited to add: temp is 39. it looked like a few flakes were trying to mix in, but i didnt see an official snow flake :lol:

Sweet! :weight_lift:

temp is 41 now and sleet just started coming down here too, pretty hard.

Awesome! :thumbsup:

7.13 inches temp 40

Wow! :o I hope the flooding isn't bad.

I picked up .16 with the first little batch that came through. The big rain is finally here and it looks like I will surpass that elusive .25 mark ^_^

temp dropping here now on sw winds. Heavy rain, just passed the 1" mark. Radar looks good for another .75" , which is about what I'm going for total wise. (1.75")

If you have a little extra time tonight Robert and would not mind, please explain more about how CAA works so strongly on SW winds. Here in DAlton GA we dropped over 20 degrees since this morning under S and SW winds all day and are now in the 30s. No W winds no NW winds just S and SW!

Well, I'm officially in the 30's. 39.3 in MBY with W winds(slight). Just waiting here for the ULL to make more of eastward movement and deliver some of those wraparound bands you see on the radar in W Ten. I'm getting a bit impatient.

Edit: Just checked and I've got 1.52" so far.thumbsupsmileyanim.gif Temp is still holding steady,but the DP is falling, currently at 32. Winds changed direction as well, now from the North

If you have a little extra time tonight Robert and would not mind, please explain more about how CAA works so strongly on SW winds. Here in DAlton GA we dropped over 20 degrees since this morning under S and SW winds all day and are now in the 30s. No W winds no NW winds just S and SW!

This is how it was supposed to be all along, the cold air wrapped around the strong cutoff so strongly that the warm conveyer and moisture wrapped from the Carolinas westand northwest bound around to KY and Arkansas, meanwhile now the cold is tucking underneath the system into Ms.Al.Ga. Its happened before where the cold comes in from the southwest, instead of the usual nw. Remember this is a strong cutoff, so thats how the flow is. I know its an odd feeling, and tomorrow the folks in the central and western Carolnas will probably awaken to sunny skies and a strong southwest winds and incoming colder air.

This is how it was supposed to be all along, the cold air wrapped around the strong cutoff so strongly that the warm conveyer and moisture wrapped from the Carolinas westand northwest bound around to KY and Arkansas, meanwhile now the cold is tucking underneath the system into Ms.Al.Ga. Its happened before where the cold comes in from the southwest, instead of the usual nw. Remember this is a strong cutoff, so thats how the flow is. I know its an odd feeling, and tomorrow the folks in the central and western Carolnas will probably awaken to sunny skies and a strong southwest winds and incoming colder air.

Yep that makes sense. Although I guess somehow I pictured it switching to the N after the Low moved by! Idk it is a very Odd feeling to have A 20_ degree drop in SW winds. I will def. remember this one for a while! What an interesting Storm not to mention the 6+ inches it dropped on us.

Didn't expect to see GSP put this out for my area. Then again, I didn't rule out the possibility that some areas across the foothills and western piedmont could see some flakes:

Tuesday Night: A slight chance of rain showers, mixing with snow after 9pm, then gradually ending. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 33. Southwest wind between 7 and 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20%.

Looks like the chance for our area will be from 2pm til about 7 pm according to RUC and NAM now. Tomorrow will be interesting here, with sunny start and strong sw (cold) winds then the sudden arrival of the next wave and "precipitation" mid afternoon. Then a clear, starry night.

Didn't expect to see GSP put this out for my area. Then again, I didn't rule out the possibility that some areas across the foothills and western piedmont could see some flakes:

Tuesday Night: A slight chance of rain showers, mixing with snow after 9pm, then gradually ending. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 33. Southwest wind between 7 and 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20%.

Archived