amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Wow..New Eurotrash clobbers Lakes Region Late Thanksgiving weekend

wxhstn74

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have only broken the 12 inch mark once in my entire life. This section of the country sucks for big dumps.

Midwest snow is measuered differently than I95 snow. If the groundhogs day storm had hit NYC instead of Chicago it would have been 36" instead of 18" because we all have weenie rulers up here.

Impressive

NWUS53 KGRR 300502

LSRGRR

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE GRAND RAPIDS MI

1202 AM EST WED NOV 30 2011

..TIME... ...EVENT... ...CITY LOCATION... ...LAT.LON...

..DATE... ....MAG.... ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....

..REMARKS..

1141 PM SNOW ST. JOHNS 43.00N 84.56W

11/29/2011 M9.5 INCH CLINTON MI TRAINED SPOTTER

&&

Driving the couple miles to work tonight, not seeing any evidence of snow remaining. Roads and grass are all clear.

I came home to about 1-2 inches on the ground. Even on the roads in the neighborhood. My wife said at one point we had around 3 inches but with the temp above 32 some has melted since earlier this evening. All in all, I got to see some heavy snow and its still on the ground, feels like the 1st snow of the season to me! Here's to many more!:thumbsup:

Well, fact of the matter is that I've been spoiled by hailing from inland Massachusetts, where I've seen forecasts of 2-4" in the morning become 15-20" by early afternoon, after which most of the snow had fallen by that point. Here, the biggest 'good' bust I've seen has been from 2-4" to 5-7", with a lot (though not necessarily a disproportionate amount) of overforecasted busts.

Have that great big Atlantic to thank for that back east. Plus with Detroit the east/ne wind is a downsloping type wind.

I have had a few good busts out this way but ala it was LES related. Still have yet to ever see as big a bust ( for the good ) as i have back east though. Tonights system is the kind that gives us the best odd's of that happening though. May happen for some ( Between Lansing and Jackson ) but that is it.

I have only broken the 12 inch mark once in my entire life. This section of the country sucks for big dumps.

Every time i see you say that i am still blown away. How old are you?

I moved here in July 2004 and since then i have hit or exceeded the 12+ mark 7 times i do believe and only 1 was a direct result of the lake. Not like we live 100s+ miles away from each other and thus why that blows me away.

Anyways the big storm climo between this end of the state vs that end has always interested me. I still think location to the apps plays a role in it out that way.

06Z Smartcast showing areas of heavy snow potential across the Detroit-Pontiac-Reynolds Field area for the next 6 hours. Looking at a 09-11Z time frame where snow is projected to increase to 1" per hour rate for a short time across the Detroit area. Potential to pick up a couple more inches of accumulation. Trending is going downward in snowfall accumulation though. Full city analysis uploaded http://smartwxmodel.net

Have that great big Atlantic to thank for that back east. Plus with Detroit the east/ne wind is a downsloping type wind.

I have had a few good busts out this way but ala it was LES related. Still have yet to ever see as big a bust ( for the good ) as i have back east though. Tonights system is the kind that gives us the best odd's of that happening though. May happen for some ( Between Lansing and Jackson ) but that is it.

I moved here in July 2004 and since then i have hit or exceeded the 12+ mark 7 times i do believe and only 1 was a direct result of the lake. Not like we live 100s+ miles away from each other and thus why that blows me away.

Anyways the big storm climo between this end of the state vs that end has always interested me. I still think location to the apps plays a role in it out that way.

10" seems to be a magic number. Look at last winter...Feb 1/2, forecast 10-15", got 10". Feb 20/21, forecast 1-3", got 10". :lol: Jokes aside, we have seen a ton of 9-11.8" storms since the 1974 monster, but only one that topped 12" officially since then (note we have seen several 3-day totals of 12"+ since then, and I include that because while someone was joking about how they measure snow differently on the east coast, I notice a lot of times theyll count 3-day and even 4-day events as one storm). Rambling, considering how much snowfall we have been having lately, and the dramatically increasing of 6"+ snowstorms, about the only thing left is getting the monster. Im sure its coming soon!

the 35-hour storm total imby was 2.83" precip and 0.6" snow.

DTW reported precipitation every hour from 6pm Nov 28th to 5am Nov 30th (rain from 6pm Nov 28th to 7pm Nov 29th, rain/snow mix at 8pm Nov 29th, and snow from 9pm Nov 29th to 5am Nov 30th. It should be noted though that for about 4-5 hours late last evening before the accumulating snow set in it was just trace amounts of precip).

Of course Im jealous of the heavy snow near Lansing, looks like a few 7-9" reports. Still, nice to see the first pasting of white. Actually while the snow has that wet snow look, the top layer on elevated surfaces is actually powdery.

the 35-hour storm total imby was 2.83" precip and 0.6" snow.

DTW reported precipitation every hour from 6pm Nov 28th to 5am Nov 30th (rain from 6pm Nov 28th to 7pm Nov 29th, rain/snow mix at 8pm Nov 29th, and snow from 9pm Nov 29th to 5am Nov 30th. It should be noted though that for about 4-5 hours late last evening before the accumulating snow set in it was just trace amounts of precip).

Of course Im jealous of the heavy snow near Lansing, looks like a few 7-9" reports. Still, nice to see the first pasting of white. Actually while the snow has that wet snow look, the top layer on elevated surfaces is actually powdery.

Edit: Nevermind. lol. Didn't read this closely enough.

lol if I did include Sunday it would really be :lmao:

Weve been absolutely deluged the past week

Nov 22/23rd- 2.13"

Nov 27th- 0.94" (T snow)

Nov 28-30th- 2.83" (0.6" snow)

That's why I asked. 2.83" is such an impressive number on its own, I thought maybe you had added both events.

I love heavy rain events, especially associated with TSRA, but this is about the time of the year where they start to lose some of their luster. I'm now in "imagine if that was snow" mode so they become more depressing than exciting. :lol:

I'm 32yrs and the only time I topped 12 inches was Dec 11-12 2000.

I have cracked 10 inches a dozen+ times, but the 12 inch mark is one I always fall short on.

Looking through the LSRs, these are the two highest I could find. Not too shabby.

0500 AM SNOW ST. JOHNS 43.00N 84.56W

11/30/2011 M10.0 INCH CLINTON MI TRAINED SPOTTER

STORM TOTAL SNOWFALL.

0857 PM HEAVY SNOW 2 SW PERU 40.73N 86.10W

11/29/2011 M10.0 INCH MIAMI IN EMERGENCY MNGR

Decent gradient across Tippecanoe county, my place on the east side still had a solid 1-2" coating while WL has almost no snow left.

We cut it close. Almost seems like the Wabash was the defining line between the "haves" and "have nots", relatively speaking. East side FTW. :thumbsup:

For the first time ever, I was hoping for the snow to end last night. The weight of the snow was very destructive to a lot of the trees in my yard.... sucs! It was an awesome sight to see the snow come down that heavy for so long, but at this point, I'd have rather missed out.

sounds like you were the jackpot. how much did you get? oh and pics of course!

sounds like you were the jackpot. how much did you get? oh and pics of course!

measured 9" last night but after the snow temps rose to 35 before they fell again. this morning i have 7.5 on the ground but it's hards as ice and isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Here's a pic when i had a few inches and before my favorite tree took a beating. :(

Archived