• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Wow..New Eurotrash clobbers Lakes Region Late Thanksgiving weekend

wxhstn74

For the first time ever, I was hoping for the snow to end last night. The weight of the snow was very destructive to a lot of the trees in my yard.... sucs! It was an awesome sight to see the snow come down that heavy for so long, but at this point, I'd have rather missed out.

I have the same feeling. It has been a mess at my house.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Windsor ended up finishing with 86 mm of rain yesterday, or 3.41" (!!). We didn't get quite as much imby but I'm sure the final total wasn't too far off. This makes Nov. 29th *almost* the wettest day of the year here, just under the thunderstorm deluge of May 25.

It started snowing lightly when I went to bed last night but I was pretty confident it wouldn't accumulate. Needless to say, I was pretty psyched when I woke up this morning to find an inch of snow on the ground. Obviously nothing accumulated on the roads, but since it was our first real snowfall since April 18, I was pretty happy about it.

The sun has since then obliterated everything that isn't in the shade, but I can sleep easy knowing that we got more November snow than last year. :thumbsup:

nov303.jpg

nov30_2.jpg

nov303.jpg

:thumbsup: City of Marshall scores big with the first storm of the 2011-12 winter season!

Personal storm summary and general report:

Where to start? Measured 8.5" on elevated snowboard early this morning. Winds were wicked and some drifting occurred. While most of the snow was very moist, the last bit was fluffy and my locale was affected by the strong NW winds, so perhaps had closer to 9? Snow on concrete drive measured 6.5-7" with the bottom 1/2" a liquid slush.

I'd estimate peak rate at around 2+/hr for a short time, and the event probably averaged 1.5, so a quick hitter/high impact plastering. Like someone squeezed the handle on a giant fire extinguisher full of snow. Everything had snow and ice clinging to it. Was much worse driving in this (at a standstill twice on I-94 btw K'zoo and Battle Creek about 6:30) than the GHD bliz in Feb. Only 2" less snow than GHD, and a higher impact too. Visibilities were much lower with the nice flake size yesterday vs. GHD storm.

This was heart attack snow too. Weight of snow did some damage a bit north of me. Photo per NWS GRR report:

post-7240-0-74462500-1322687643.jpg

To top it off, had a beautiful sunrise the morning after. Probably the most beautiful morning after a storm I've ever seen, and I lived in N. Michigan for seven years too.

Footnotes and after-thoughts:

If this is my WWA over-performer, I can't wait to see my WSWarning over-achiever! Would've been a historical storm if the first half didn't go down the storm sewers in the form of rain. Still fantastic for November in this area and puts MBY at double digits for the month. Yep, winter cancel, lol.

Sorry for no personal photos. Camera battery=dead, and sudden disappearance of cell phone hosed me with bad timing. It was a long time tracking and anticipating, but delivered in style for a few of us lucky enough to get nailed. Won't be long, many others will be joining the 2011-12 party! :scooter:

Detrott however (along with St. Louis and Indianapolis) does have one grip though, and that's the lack of major/crippling snowstorm, climo notwithstanding.

Before January 2005, the last official 12"+ storm was 1974.

Within these snowy times (starting in 2007), EVERY MAJOR CITY in the Midwest and East Coast (and even some places in the south) except the three mentioned have had at least one.

The worst Detroit has had is a 10" storm (President's Day 2011), and while high impact, the particular storm wasn't really "crippling" or "major."

Yes, Detriot and STL are way overdue. I think they both get one this year. I'm rooting for this to be their year! :guitar:

10" seems to be a magic number. Look at last winter...Feb 1/2, forecast 10-15", got 10". Feb 20/21, forecast 1-3", got 10". :lol: Jokes aside, we have seen a ton of 9-11.8" storms since the 1974 monster, but only one that topped 12" officially since then (note we have seen several 3-day totals of 12"+ since then, and I include that because while someone was joking about how they measure snow differently on the east coast, I notice a lot of times theyll count 3-day and even 4-day events as one storm). Rambling, considering how much snowfall we have been having lately, and the dramatically increasing of 6"+ snowstorms, about the only thing left is getting the monster. Im sure its coming soon!

..Its lurking at the doorstep after 36 yrs..:snowman:

Yes, Detriot and STL are way overdue. I think they both get one this year. I'm rooting for this to be their year! :guitar:

It will be interesting when we finally get the one. Like I said, its very hard to gripe about recent winters around here, as in JUST the past FOUR years, Detroit has seen a surplus of 80" of snow! (In a 4-year span, about 171" of snow should fall on "average"...in the past 4 winters, DTW has seen over 250"). Its just interesting how the 10" mark seems to be magnetically drawn to the immediate area for big snowstorms. Best example is last winter. GHD we thought wed finally break through with 15" or so...what did we get? 10". Just 3 weeks later, a storm shocked all as just 1-3" was predicted and ended up with 10". So from the good busts to the bad busts, we seem to sit around 10". We also are able to get snowdepth over a foot. We just CANT get that storm. Im a little worried when we DO get that storm, its going to be all downhill from there lol (way above normal has to end sometime or else it isnt "normal" anymore)...but Ill worry about it then!

Sunny and 39F, still some skiffs of snow in the shaded spots though.

It will be interesting when we finally get the one. Like I said, its very hard to gripe about recent winters around here, as in JUST the past FOUR years, Detroit has seen a surplus of 80" of snow! (In a 4-year span, about 171" of snow should fall on "average"...in the past 4 winters, DTW has seen over 250"). Its just interesting how the 10" mark seems to be magnetically drawn to the immediate area for big snowstorms. Best example is last winter. GHD we thought wed finally break through with 15" or so...what did we get? 10". Just 3 weeks later, a storm shocked all as just 1-3" was predicted and ended up with 10". So from the good busts to the bad busts, we seem to sit around 10". We also are able to get snowdepth over a foot. We just CANT get that storm. Im a little worried when we DO get that storm, its going to be all downhill from there lol (way above normal has to end sometime or else it isnt "normal" anymore)...but Ill worry about it then!

Grew up in SEMI during the golden decade (70's) and thought huge storms were the norm-Ha! Later, as a young adult just getting into double digits was an acheivement it seemed (hadn't heard about the decadal oscillations yet either). I was referring to the '74 storm, but didn't DTW get like 14-15" during the '99 bliz? I remember reading something on their website about 7 foot drifts in the farm country around Detroit. And of course outlying suburbs scored the NYD '08 dumping. The city proper though is overdue to be hit..

First accumulating snow of the season here in Toronto. I estimated 0.6" where I work in the east end. When I got home (in the west end) everything had melted, aside from the odd patch here and there. Per radar, it appeared the better returns were to the N & E, so I'm going with a prelim accum. of 0.4". I'll adjust that based on what the airports/EC report tomorrow.

Got that Nov. snow in the nick of time. Correlation between snowless Novembers and the following winters in recent memory is not pretty.

There has been only 26 10"+ snow events since 1880 in Detroit. 1 out of every 5 winters will get an event of 10"

Most locales (Major Cities) were above average along I-80 relatively speaking... In the last 5 years. It was hard to be below normal snowfall when the pattern/storm track was there.

Grew up in SEMI during the golden decade (70's) and thought huge storms were the norm-Ha! Later, as a young adult just getting into double digits was an acheivement it seemed (hadn't heard about the decadal oscillations yet either). I was referring to the '74 storm, but didn't DTW get like 14-15" during the '99 bliz? I remember reading something on their website about 7 foot drifts in the farm country around Detroit. And of course outlying suburbs scored the NYD '08 dumping. The city proper though is overdue to be hit..

DTW got 11.3" in 1999 blizzard. Keep in mind it is the OFFICIAL totals we are talking about here. Several storms in recent years have dropped 13-16" in Detroits suburbs.

There has been only 26 10"+ snow events since 1880 in Detroit. 1 out of every 5 winters will get an event of 10"

Most locales (Major Cities) were above average along I-80 relatively speaking... In the last 5 years. It was hard to be below normal snowfall when the pattern/storm track was there.

I actually get 28 storms that were 10"+ for Detroit (38 storms of 9"+).

The Jan 25-27, 1978 blizzard was 10.1", and the Feb 1-2, 2011 storm was 10.3" are not included in the DTX storm list because the 1978 storm lasted over 3 calendar days and the 2011 storm had a 6 hour break between impulses (so dtx is counting that as two events, 1.3 and 9.0, even though it was just on 2 calendar days). That is one thing that bothers me, all these other cities big snowstorm list includes "storms" that lasted 3-4 days, except DTX, which has no storms listed that took up 3 calendar days. Now, I actually side with DTX on this (several waves of L pressure may follow one another closely, but a single storm does NOT last 3+ days) but all Im saying is the list would be larger if DTX used that methodology.

Random factoid, there have been exactly 100 storms that have officially dropped 6"+ at Detroit in the last 100 years.

DTW got 11.3" in 1999 blizzard. Keep in mind it is the OFFICIAL totals we are talking about here. Several storms in recent years have dropped 13-16" in Detroits suburbs.

Yes Ive had 3 storms since I can remember of 12"+ in the northern subs

I actually get 28 storms that were 10"+ for Detroit (38 storms of 9"+).

The Jan 25-27, 1978 blizzard was 10.1", and the Feb 1-2, 2011 storm was 10.3" are not included in the DTX storm list because the 1978 storm lasted over 3 calendar days and the 2011 storm had a 6 hour break between impulses (so dtx is counting that as two events, 1.3 and 9.0, even though it was just on 2 calendar days). That is one thing that bothers me, all these other cities big snowstorm list includes "storms" that lasted 3-4 days, except DTX, which has no storms listed that took up 3 calendar days. Now, I actually side with DTX on this (several waves of L pressure may follow one another closely, but a single storm does NOT last 3+ days) but all Im saying is the list would be larger if DTX used that methodology.

Random factoid, there have been exactly 100 storms that have officially dropped 6"+ at Detroit in the last 100 years.

I see where you got 28. I did more research

STL has had 11 12"+ events

INDY 6

K.C 10

DET 14

Yes Ive had 3 storms since I can remember of 12"+ in the northern subs

I see where you got 28. I did more research

STL has had 11 12"+ events

INDY 6

K.C 10

DET 14

Indy has 8. Still a sad number though.

2/16-2/18/1910: 16.1

1/25-1/27/1978: 15.5

2/27-2/29/1984: 13.2

12/19-12/21/1973: 13.0

1/2-1/4/1996: 12.8

1/12-1/14/1968: 12.5

2/24-2/26/1965: 12.5

1/26-1/28/2009: 12.5

Also, Chicago has 25 12"+ events.

Indy has 8. Still a sad number though.

2/16-2/18/1910: 16.1

1/25-1/27/1978: 15.5

2/27-2/29/1984: 13.2

12/19-12/21/1973: 13.0

1/2-1/4/1996: 12.8

1/12-1/14/1968: 12.5

2/24-2/26/1965: 12.5

1/26-1/28/2009: 12.5

Also, Chicago has 25 12"+ events.

Wasn't there a pretty big blizzard right before Christmas 2004 out in these parts? I vaguely remember something about US Airways somehow blaming my dad's lost luggage on it...

Archived