amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
November Obs/Banter thread

Mr Torchey

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haven’t seen much weather data in the last 24 hours … but for some reason I took a peak at the GFS individual ensemble members first, this morning. Of the 00z, about 5 members of the 12 I saw had a powerful coastal storm at 180 or so hours … replete with a 4 or even 5-contoured closed 500mb center just west of the Del Marva region – then drifting N.

Snow or rain aside, that would be far from a boring weather pattern! The fact that it is even modeled at all alleviates the doldrums to some degree.

Won’t take much at all to get that 180-200 hour scenario colder and snowier – despite the warmth leading…

also, last night was peering over the satellite soundings over N/A and noticing just how unusually cold the 700mb level is this autumn so far. Something unusual is going on at that sigma level, and I believe serves dynamical systems - in part contributed to the last event, too. Turning that atmosphere over in Canada under long nights and than transporting it makes 925mb cold anomalies less difficult to explain.

I measured many spots and most had between 14 and 16 so im going with 15 here but that was the next morning and that was the only time i measured so clearing every 6 hours would support 20 in my opinion

State DOT and CL&P are estimating 5x the tree damage. Also the towns that are hit the hardest are hit substantially harder than the hardest hit Irene towns. Only difference is no flooding with this one.

Gotta wonder if the wind is causing issues, power outages have increased the past few hours. Was at 306,363 at 10:16 AM and now up to 314,581. Now perhaps it's b/c some people may have to lose power while crews are doing some fixing but something tells me the wind is playing a factor.

AWT last night, Wiz we need to go into bidness advising CLP, we can do better than who they have

So you want to move to a place that gets big snows in MA?

GC FTW. (Cape Ann also but those are far less frequent I would think).

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/ussc/USSCAppController?action=extremes&state=19

wow were there really depths in the berks in the 95-96 winter that were four to five feet on the level???

AWT last night, Wiz we need to go into bidness advising CLP, we can do better than who they have

Winds gusting to 28mph here (AGT)

44.1F for a high.

Still a few inches of snow OTG here, some bare spots. Looks ugly.

Back yard looks better (more woods/shade)

Still snow on the roof, which is hard for me to keep considering the sun and temps in the 50s before today

Winds gusting to 28mph here (AGT)

44.1F for a high.

Still a few inches of snow OTG here, some bare spots. Looks ugly.

Back yard looks better (more woods/shade)

Still snow on the roof, which is hard for me to keep considering the sun and temps in the 50s before today

Dave--how high is your anamometer sited? I got 18mph here, but I"m only at 8'.

Meanwhile, just moved some wood up to the deck. Aside from the blinding snow last weekend, this evneing has the most wintry feel of the year. Gusty northwind blowing through the bare branches.....life is good. Until the warm up next week.

Was just looking at the house we came close to buying a few years back. If we took that one, I'd have to report to Pete how the conditions were at 1750'.

37.8/21

Won’t take much at all to get that 180-200 hour scenario colder and snowier – despite the warmth leading…

also, last night was peering over the satellite soundings over N/A and noticing just how unusually cold the 700mb level is this autumn so far. Something unusual is going on at that sigma level, and I believe serves dynamical systems - in part contributed to the last event, too. Turning that atmosphere over in Canada under long nights and than transporting it makes 925mb cold anomalies less difficult to explain.

Tip's calling for another monster.... here we go!

11/11/11 storm?

I had plenty of cold nights this week.. lol im going to write about my experience sometime this week and post plenty of pictures.. I dont get scared that often but i was terrified saturday night it looks like a tornado blew threw here! most trees were fully leaved around here and alot of them are not standing anymore!!

Congrats man...just in time for the cold night and of course...the weekend.

I had plenty of cold nights this week.. lol im going to write about my experience sometime this week and post plenty of pictures.. I dont get scared that often but i was terrified saturday night it looks like a tornado blew threw here! most trees were fully leaved around here and alot of them are not standing anymore!!

Would be cool hearing the stories from you and Blizz..or whoever.

Would be cool hearing the stories from you and Blizz..or whoever.

Yea I think the fact that the power goes off magnifies the story times 10. When it was snowing as the storm started, I was like "man its freaking ripping out/taking measurements" as soon as the power went out, I was like "Oh f*** this is scary"

Its just 10 times scarier when no street lights are on/ no house lights are on, and you have no effin idea whats happening outside.

It was like that movie Signs when mel and merril are in the basement in the dark just waiting to die.

Welcocme back to the land of the living. Is most of the town back up? I guess it'll be backc to school for folks Monday..

36.8/22

Yea I think the fact that the power goes off magnifies the story times 10. When it was snowing as the storm started, I was like "man its freaking ripping out/taking measurements" as soon as the power went out, I was like "Oh f*** this is scary"

Its just 10 times scarier when no street lights are on/ no house lights are on, and you have no effin idea whats happening outside.

It was like that movie Signs when mel and merril are in the basement in the dark just waiting to die.

We lost power on 3/31/97 around 8 or 9pm iirc. It was at that point where it started really ripping with thunder and lightning. Pink lightning. It was the coolest thing ever because you could hear the wind roaring through as you looked out into a sea of white. Didn't really hear any trees break, but you wouldn't have with the wind blowing. There was quite a bit of tree damage however.

I've shared some stories. What types of things are you looking for? I've been all over Tolland, Vernon, Ellington, Stafford, Windsor, South Windsor and Manchester doing damage assessments. Not much else to do with no power and your family away

I mean more from how the aftn transpired into the evening. How it started off and what the night was like with all the sounds and no power. I was in such a blur and so tired on Saturday...I don't remember many of your texts that you sent.

I've shared some stories. What types of things are you looking for? I've been all over Tolland, Vernon, Ellington, Stafford, Windsor, South Windsor and Manchester doing damage assessments. Not much else to do with no power and your family away

Family back at the hacienda yet?

Dave--how high is your anamometer sited? I got 18mph here, but I"m only at 8'.

Meanwhile, just moved some wood up to the deck. Aside from the blinding snow last weekend, this evneing has the most wintry feel of the year. Gusty northwind blowing through the bare branches.....life is good. Until the warm up next week.

Was just looking at the house we came close to buying a few years back. If we took that one, I'd have to report to Pete how the conditions were at 1750'.

37.8/21

"Here" is actually at my church, Up on a hill, and on top of their school, so probably 30' lol

But it was pretty windy when I was walking my dog. Still decent amount of leaved in the oaks. As the snow melts, my chores for the next week are being unearthed.

How much food did you lose?

Not much really. That Sunday morning..I filled up all the coolers with everything in the fridge and freezer ..I filled up bags with snow and put the coolers on the deck out in the snow. It was cold enough I only had to change the snow in the bags one time. Some of the frozen stuff never even thawed all the way. I don't understand why folks left things in their freezers and fridges. We all knew we'd be w/o power for about a week. It wasn't like power would come on the next day.

The only things I threw away were a couple dairy related things and even they were probably safe

Not much really. That Sunday morning..I filled up all the coolers with everything in the fridge and freezer ..I filled up bags with snow and put the coolers on the deck out in the snow. It was cold enough I only had to change the snow in the bags one time. Some of the frozen stuff never even thawed all the way. I don't understand why folks left things in their freezers and fridges. We all knew we'd be w/o power for about a week. It wasn't like power would come on the next day.

The only things I threw away were a couple dairy related things and even they were probably safe

Lawn survive?

Archived