Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
November Obs/Banter thread

Mr Torchey

Family back at the hacienda yet?

No.Halloween was cancelled because of the downed wires, poles and trees, so the kids never got to trick or treat other than go to a few neighbors houses at 2:00 in the afternoon.

So they are trick or treating up at their cousins house in Norfolk,Mass tonight.

Tolland had rescheduled it for tomorrow nite, but cancelled it again because there are still too many wires down

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not much really. That Sunday morning..I filled up all the coolers with everything in the fridge and freezer ..I filled up bags with snow and put the coolers on the deck out in the snow. It was cold enough I only had to change the snow in the bags one time. Some of the frozen stuff never even thawed all the way. I don't understand why folks left things in their freezers and fridges. We all knew we'd be w/o power for about a week. It wasn't like power would come on the next day.

The only things I threw away were a couple dairy related things and even they were probably safe

Sweet, cold and snow FTW. 287 CO injuries admitted so far, folks are not very smart at times, snow cold FTL

No.Halloween was cancelled because of the downed wires, poles and trees, so the kids never got to trick or treat other than go to a few neighbors houses at 2:00 in the afternoon.

So they are trick or treating up at their cousins house in Norfolk,Mass tonight.

Tolland had rescheduled it for tomorrow nite, but cancelled it again because there are still too many wires down

We're doing the trick or treat thing tomorrow night.

I mean more from how the aftn transpired into the evening. How it started off and what the night was like with all the sounds and no power. I was in such a blur and so tired on Saturday...I don't remember many of your texts that you sent.

It started snowing around 12:45. Temps around 37..and dew 31-32..so I knew it would start wet..thought it would go powder pretty quick(wrong)

We left for the Halloweenie party down the street about 3:30 and there was already about 3..maybe 4 inches and it was ripping..

Of course everyone at the party was asking me about the wx and what was my forecast..I told them expect 12-18 and that there was going to be power outages..but that the 2nd half of the storm might turn powdery.(wrong)

At about 5:00 limbs started coming down in the hood. power must have flickered on and off at least 15-20 times. I kept going out in the garage to grab brews and would sit there and watch this huge tree across the street and I would get people to stand with me and we'd take bets on when another branch would snap. You know me..before long I had a huge group of people out there with me(my wife was so pissed at me) lol.. I had people in a frenzy Some people even left to drive home as they were getting worried.. A bunch of the kids there all were outside sledding and playing and as things started coming down..we told them to stay away from the trees..They kept coming up to me saying"Mr Wood..a branch just came down in the back" etc..I started high fiving everyone when another branch would snap and fall.

By 6:00 or so things were really starting to saggy boob it treewise..and I knew things were gonna go downhill powerwise quickly . Power went off once for about 10 seconds and came back on around 7:30..so I figured we'd better get home(we had walked down)..So by the time I got the kids inside from sledding in the snow..it was like 8:15.

As we left walked down the driveway and I looked up the street towards my house there were two huge Oak limbs that were drooped way over powerlines in 2 spots in yard..and there were sparks shooting all over the place..The girls started screaming and Jen didn't want us to walk under them..I told them it was fine and finally got them to walk.

There was 6-7 inches OTG by that point ..I think i posted about that stuff when I got home that night...Then about 8:45 our internet and cable went out..but we had power still.

I was asleep by about 9:30 after having ripped back 7-8 beers.. I sleep with a fan on for white noise and at the stroke of 11:00 PM exactly...the power went out and the fan going off immed woke me up..I looked outside and vis was pretty low and I could see lots more limbs in the yard and driveway than there was when we came home.

I opened up the bathroom window and stuck my head out and literally every 10 seconds you'd hear ripping cracking. Some were long slow wood cracks and then crash as it they came to the ground..some loud , quick shotgun blasts that split and broke right away. I went out into the driveway to look around and there was around 10 inches or so at midnite..but it was too dangerous to be out there..since there's nowhere in my lawn or driveway you can stand without being under a tree. So I went back in and from like 12:30-3:00 I literally had my head stuck out the window..just listening to all the shotgun blasts, and things coming down. I could see lots of stuff down in the dark half buried in the snow, but I had no idea just how vast the damage would be as it was when it got light. I went back to sleep for an hour or 2,and woke up around 6:00. The house was already down into the upper 50's..and I knew we were in trouble. the insulation in this house is terrible..esp upstairs..

The kids got up around 7:15 and immed wanted to go outside,,but I made them wait a bit.It was odd that the temp had dropped into the upper 20's and the brnaches for the most part had stopped coming down. I went out to check out damage and start shovelling around 9:00 and every now and then you'd hear a crack but very infrequently.

I had no idea how vast the outages were or anything..until the fitre chief came by and I started talking to him.

He said they pulled all the plows off the rd around 11:00 because it was just too dangerous. Said he's been doing this 25 yrs and he's never seen anything like this..not even close. He told me 15-20 days w/o power..and I almost fell over. I was thinking 5-7 days(It ended up being about 5.5 days)

The fam went to Jen';s aunts in town who has a generator..and stayed there for 2 nites..I went over to eat/shower every day..but came home at nite to sleep.

In the end it was all very worth it for me..and it's the kind of storm i have waiting for since the Dec 92 storm. I simply love the power of a heavy wet snowstorm..and it's an experience I will never forget and cherish forever. Being w/o power sucked only because it was so cold. Normally cold doesn't bother me,,but when it's in the low 40's inside and you can see your breath..it does tend to get to you.

The last thought is that the tree damage in CT is something has scarred the landscape for many many years to come. The icestorm in Mass a few yrs ago did the same,, but that was without leaves. I have never seen so much damage in all my life. There are some places that are absolutely wiped out. ruined and destroyed. Trees on houses, wires on fire, poles snapped...I envisioned there would be damage, but in my wildest imagination, I could never have envisioned what happened.

It started snowing around 12:45. Temps around 37..and dew 31-32..so I knew it would start wet..thought it would go powder pretty quick(wrong)

We left for the Halloweenie party down the street about 3:30 and there was already about 3..maybe 4 inches and it was ripping..

Of course everyone at the party was asking me about the wx and what was my forecast..I told them expect 12-18 and that there was going to be power outages..but that the 2nd half of the storm might turn powdery.(wrong)

At about 5:00 limbs started coming down in the hood. power must have flickered on and off at least 15-20 times. I kept going out in the garage to grab brews and would sit there and watch this huge tree across the street and I would get people to stand with me and we'd take bets on when another branch would snap. You know me..before long I had a huge group of people out there with me(my wife was so pissed at me) lol.. I had people in a frenzy Some people even left to drive home as they were getting worried.. A bunch of the kids there all were outside sledding and playing and as things started coming down..we told them to stay away from the trees..They kept coming up to me saying"Mr Wood..a branch just came down in the back" etc..I started high fiving everyone when another branch would snap and fall.

By 6:00 or so things were really starting to saggy boob it treewise..and I knew things were gonna go downhill powerwise quickly . Power went off once for about 10 seconds and came back on around 7:30..so I figured we'd better get home(we had walked down)..So by the time I got the kids inside from sledding in the snow..it was like 8:15.

As we left walked down the driveway and I looked up the street towards my house there were two huge Oak limbs that were drooped way over powerlines in 2 spots in yard..and there were sparks shooting all over the place..The girls started screaming and Jen didn't want us to walk under them..I told them it was fine and finally got them to walk.

There was 6-7 inches OTG by that point ..I think i posted about that stuff when I got home that night...Then about 8:45 our internet and cable went out..but we had power still.

I was asleep by about 9:30 after having ripped back 7-8 beers.. I sleep with a fan on for white noise and at the stroke of 11:00 PM exactly...the power went out and the fan going off immed woke me up..I looked outside and vis was pretty low and I could see lots more limbs in the yard and driveway than there was when we came home.

I opened up the bathroom window and stuck my head out and literally every 10 seconds you'd hear ripping cracking. Some were long slow wood cracks and then crash as it they came to the ground..some loud , quick shotgun blasts that split and broke right away. I went out into the driveway to look around and there was around 10 inches or so at midnite..but it was too dangerous to be out there..since there's nowhere in my lawn or driveway you can stand without being under a tree. So I went back in and from like 12:30-3:00 I literally had my head stuck out the window..just listening to all the shotgun blasts, and things coming down. I could see lots of stuff down in the dark half buried in the snow, but I had no idea just how vast the damage would be as it was when it got light. I went back to sleep for an hour or 2,and woke up around 6:00. The house was already down into the upper 50's..and I knew we were in trouble. the insulation in this house is terrible..esp upstairs..

The kids got up around 7:15 and immed wanted to go outside,,but I made them wait a bit.It was odd that the temp had dropped into the upper 20's and the brnaches for the most part had stopped coming down. I went out to check out damage and start shovelling around 9:00 and every now and then you'd hear a crack but very infrequently.

I had no idea how vast the outages were or anything..until the fitre chief came by and I started talking to him.

He said they pulled all the plows off the rd around 11:00 because it was just dangerous. Said he's been doing this 25 yrs and he's never seen anything like this..not even close. He told me 15-20 days w/o power..and I almost fell over. I was thinking 5-7 days(It ended up being about 5.5 days)

The fam went to Jen';s aunts in town who has a generator..and stayed there for 2 nites..I went over to eat/shower every day..but came home at nite to sleep.

In the end it was all very worth it for me..and it's the kind of storm i have waiting for since the Dec 92 storm. I simply love the power of a heavy wet snowstorm..and it's an experience I will never forget and cherish forever. Being w/o power sucked only because it was so cold. Normally cold doesn't bother me,,but when it's in the low 40's inside and you can see your breath..it does tend to get to you.

The last thought is that the tree damage in CT is something has scarred the landscape for many many years to come. The icestorm a few yrs ago did the same,, but that was without leaves. I have seen so much damage in all my life. There are some places that are absolutely wiped out. ruined and destroyed. Trees on houses, wires on fire, poles snapped...I envisioned there would be damage, but in my wildest imagination, I could never have envisioned what happened.

:lmao:

Awesome post haha. Probably you're longest ever. Cool stuff.

LOL, at getting a group of people outside and wife getting mad. I've done similar...sickos think alike.

Was all that carnage in the last sentence in the lower elevations and valley? Sounds like the CT valley was hardest hit as so many leaves were on the trees. Good recap...I always live vicariously through stories...I like the details.

LOL, at getting a group of people outside and wife getting mad. I've done similar...sickos think alike.

Was all that carnage in the last sentence in the lower elevations and valley? Sounds like the CT valley was hardest hit as so many leaves were on the trees. Good recap...I always live vicariously through stories...I like the details.

There was quite a bit of damage even here at 1,000 feet. Several whole trees down..including a big oak back in my woods behind the playscape snapped off about 15 feet up..I sent you guys the pic of that white pine that cane down.

My next door neighbor left his car out and a huge limb fell and smashed his back windshield.

But the terrible destruction where it looked like a bomb went off was below about 600 feet. SOme of the places in town here that are lower(places that I run) were destroyed. Not a tree was left unscathed..even ones that had already shed their leaves. There's still rds in town here that are closed with trees across lines on rds.

The very worst spot I saw was in Vernon and South Windsor. I grew up in VErnon, so know it well. Most of the town is under 400 feet and the neighborhoods are ripped apart. People were trapped in homes with wires, smashed poles etc.

Basically there is vast damage all over northern CT..but yes the lower spots were hardest hit.

There was quite a bit of damage even here at 1,000 feet. Several whole trees down..including a big oak back in my woods behind the playscape snapped off about 15 feet up..I sent you guys the pic of that white pine that cane down.

My next door neighbor left his car out and a huge limb fell and smashed his back windshield.

But the terrible destruction where it looked like a bomb went off was below about 600 feet. SOme of the places in town here that are lower(places that I run) were destroyed. Not a tree was left unscathed..even ones that had already shed their leaves. There's still rds in town here that are closed with trees across lines on rds.

The very worst spot I saw was in Vernon and South Windsor. I grew up in VErnon, so know it well. Most of the town is under 400 feet and the neighborhoods are ripped apart. People were trapped in homes with wires, smashed poles etc.

Basically there is vast damage all over northern CT..but yes the lower spots were hardest hit.

My father in law said coming down Mountain Rd you could just see the damage increase below 500 feet. The stories are great.

My father in law said coming down Mountain Rd you could just see the damage increase below 500 feet. The stories are great.

Yeah Ellington was crushed. I drove thru there yesterday..Came down Mtn rd and into the valley there. They already cancelled school there next Monday and Tuesday.

Tolland has now lost 8 days of school..3 with the cane and all 5 days this week

Yeah Ellington was crushed. I drove thru there yesterday..Came down Mtn rd and into the valley there. They already cancelled school there next Monday and Tuesday.

Tolland has now lost 8 days of school..3 with the cane and all 5 days this week

LOL Holy sh*t.

They are going to easily eclipse the 11 days from last year. Wow.

Only one day so far here...Monday.

Archived